Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Kyocobra

Can Displayport Carry Analog?

My monitor requires VGA, and I would prefer to use Displayport, as I have already bought a faulty HDMI > VGA adapter.

Wait, so your monitor only has a VGA input? What resolution is it? 

Also the thing with display port is that the connector itself (output) is powered, so unlike some other standard you don't need an expensive powered converter, so yeah any of those ones in the link will be fine for DP (Out) to VGA (In) 

However when going the reverse route (VGA Out to DP In) you need to get a powered converter, which are like £50-100 lol

Posted · Original PosterOP

(Am I in the right subforum for this?)

By the looks of some Displayport > VGA adapters, it seems like Displayport only carries digital and requires something to convert it to analog.

Could someone please clarify?

Semi-cool guy

What port are going to use for the monitor and what port from the GPU

CPU: A8-5600K GPU: MSI RX 480 GAMING X 4GB MOBO: ASUS A55BM-PLUS 

RAM: 2x 4GB Samsung DDR3-1600 1.25V PSU: Corsair CX430 CASE: Enermax Ostrog Windowed STORAGE: PNY CS1111 120GB / Hitachi 1TB 7200RPM OS: Windows 10 Pro & macOS Sierra 10.12.3

What port are going to use for the monitor and what port from the GPU

My monitor requires VGA, and I would prefer to use the Displayport on the video card, as I have already bought a faulty HDMI > VGA adapter.

Semi-cool guy

(Am I in the right subforum for this?)

By the looks of some Displayport > VGA adapters, it seems like Displayport only carries digital and requires something to convert it to analog.

Could someone please clarify?

Yes they do work

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop 1 Alienware M18x Red - 18.4" 1080p i7 3610qm CF 7970m samsung evo 250gb, raid 0 2x 500gb harddrive, killer nic n1103, 8gb ram, Nebula Red Laptop 2 Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Laptop 3 M11x Celeron SU7300 + 512mb 335m, 8gb Ram Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, iPad 4 32gb, iPhone 6 128gb Space Grey, Sony A7

Posted · Best Answer

My monitor requires VGA, and I would prefer to use Displayport, as I have already bought a faulty HDMI > VGA adapter.

Also the thing with display port is that the connector itself (output) is powered, so unlike some other standard you don't need an expensive powered converter, so yeah any of those ones in the link will be fine for DP (Out) to VGA (In) 

However when going the reverse route (VGA Out to DP In) you need to get a powered converter, which are like £50-100 lol

i5 4690k | GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | 16GB RAM | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | NZXT Kraken X61 | 850 EVO 250GB x2  | 1TB 850 Evo NZXT Noctis 450 | EVGA 750W 80+ Gold

Ducky Shine 3 TKL (Browns) | LG 34UC87C | Logitech MX Master ATH-M50x's + DT990 Pro's 

1440 x 900 (they are AOC 919Swa1's). I got two for $5 a piece, and I am perfectly fine with its display.

-And thanks for the info!

Semi-cool guy