Can Quadros work for gaming

potatoproduction

I have used a xeon/k2000 workstation, and while it wasn't amazing for gaming, it certainly wasn't crap. Didn't stop to check framerate, but unreal tournament (2011, maybe?) was definately playable I would say 45-60 range. This was on 1920x1200, by the way.

the Quadro K2200 Supports up to four displays with ultra high resolutions of 3840x2160 @ 60Hz with 30 bit color

Hardware wise professional and server GPUs aren't really any different. Quadros, FirePros, etc. could all theoretically game just as well as GeForce and Radeon GPUs, the difference is they use a different set of drivers that is not optimized for games and gaming APIs.

For anyone doing both a lot of pro and gaming work, you're better off getting just a gaming card. Gaming cards do really well in any applications that aren't partnered with Nvidia or AMD for professional applications (because in a lot of these applications, they artificially nerf the performance of any non-Quadro or non-Firepro type of cards).

Intel i5-4690K @ 3.8GHz || Gigabyte Z97X-SLI || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz || Asus GTX 760 2GB @ 1150 / 6400 || 128GB A-Data SX900 + 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM || Corsair RM650 || Fractal 3500W

It might work "just fine", but a $300 GPU would wreck the shit out of your K2200 in GTA 5, or any other game.

Depends on your exact usage. Could you please list all the programs you intend on using that will take advantage of your GPU? Will you need 10-bit colour? Will you need ECC memory? Will you need Double Precision Floating Point calculations?

A Titan Black might be better than a Titan X, depending on your exact scenario.

of course there are $300 cards that are only for gaming but that isn't what we are talking about is it? What $300 gaming card can do high end rendering or for creation of large complex models? The question was can you game on a quadro and it depends on which quadro card but the K2200 can and supports up to four 3840x2160Hz

of course there are $300 cards that are only for gaming but that isn't what we are talking about is it? What $300 gaming card can do high end rendering or for creation of large complex models? The question was can you game on a quadro and it depends on which quadro card but the K2200 can and supports up to four 3840x2160Hz

Of course, but "can you game" is an incredibly relative question. You can play Half-Life on a NVIDIA 620. That doesn't make it good :P

But I fully agree, if you're doing specialized workstation optimized tasks, particularly things that will take advantage of ECC, 10-bit colour, double precision, etc, then a Quadro or Firepro makes more sense, and as you've said, you can still game on the side.

But a K2200 supporting 4x 4K displays has nothing to do with gaming in itself. It certainly has no chance in hell of driving 4x 4K displays in games. It might be able to do a single 4K display at low quality settings for gaming, but I wouldn't expect the experience to be good at all. 1080p gaming though? Sure, probably have very few issues.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

the Quadro K2200 Supports up to four displays with ultra high resolutions of 3840x2160 @ 60Hz with 30 bit color

This is incredibly relevant. A different GPU from the one I am using can support 4 4k displays @60hz w/ 30-bit color!? WHAT!? Excuse me for a moment to go buy some new monitors. And a new GPU. 

Of course, but "can you game" is an incredibly relative question. You can play Half-Life on a NVIDIA 620. That doesn't make it good tongue.png

But I fully agree, if you're doing specialized workstation optimized tasks, particularly things that will take advantage of ECC, 10-bit colour, double precision, etc, then a Quadro or Firepro makes more sense, and as you've said, you can still game on the side.

But a K2200 supporting 4x 4K displays has nothing to do with gaming in itself. It certainly has no chance in hell of driving 4x 4K displays in games. It might be able to do a single 4K display at low quality settings for gaming, but I wouldn't expect the experience to be good at all. 1080p gaming though? Sure, probably have very few issues.

You are a nicer person than I.

Tip to those that are new on LTT forum- quote a post so that the person you are quoting gets a notification, otherwise they'll have no idea that you did. You can also use a tag such as @Ryoutarou97 (replace my username with anyone's. You should get a dropdown after you type the "@")to send a notification, but quoting is preferable.

Feel free to PM me about absolutely anything be it tech, math, literature, etc. I'll try my best to help. I'm currently looking for a cheap used build for around $25 to set up as a home server if anyone is selling.

If you are a native speaker please use proper English if you can. Punctuation, capitalization, and spelling are as important to making your message readable as proper night theme formatting is.

My build is fully operational, but won't be posted until after I get a GPU in it and the case arted up.

This is incredibly relevant. A different GPU from the one I am using can support 4 4k displays @60hz w/ 30-bit color!? WHAT!? Excuse me for a moment to go buy some new monitors. And a new GPU. 

You are a nicer person than I.

I don't know why you are acting like a little girl here as the question was can you game on a quadro card not what is the best card for gaming and I was just trying to help which is what I thought this forum was about but you sure seem like a bunch of little kids Grow Up and answer the questions asked don't brag about what you have or give others a bad time when they are trying to answer or get answers to the questions. I have the quadro card and thought I could help sorry guess I just thought this was the place to share idea's and your own knowledge on things? thanks little one for setting me straight?

I don't know why you are acting like a little girl here as the question was can you game on a quadro card not what is the best card for gaming and I was just trying to help which is what I thought this forum was about but you sure seem like a bunch of little kids Grow Up and answer the questions asked don't brag about what you have or give others a bad time when they are trying to answer or get answers to the questions. I have the quadro card and thought I could help sorry guess I just thought this was the place to share idea's and your own knowledge on things? thanks little one for setting me straight what are you 16 years old? oh you are 16 and don't have a clue what you are talking about I have computers twice as old as you are so grow up just a little and stop acting like you know it all when you are just a little kid of 16 years WOW no wonder have you ever even seen a quadro card? what a joke

I don't know why you are acting like a little girl here as the question was can you game on a quadro card not what is the best card for gaming and I was just trying to help which is what I thought this forum was about but you sure seem like a bunch of little kids Grow Up and answer the questions asked don't brag about what you have or give others a bad time when they are trying to answer or get answers to the questions. I have the quadro card and thought I could help sorry guess I just thought this was the place to share idea's and your own knowledge on things? thanks little one for setting me straight what are you 16 years old? oh you are 16 and don't have a clue what you are talking about I have computers twice as old as you are so grow up just a little and stop acting like you know it all when you are just a little kid of 16 years WOW no wonder have you ever even seen a quadro card? what a joke

The question was can you game on a quadro. Even if you weren't responding to my comment about the k2000, how would the max res/hz/color depth help? It's not like he's going to be able to drive that, and it's pretty much a given that a mid tier+ card supports 4k. I wasn't bragging, and really don't understand why you think that, but were you really trying to answer? How would knowing the max display help the OP? I don't really see how my age has anything to do with it. Everyone (over or at the age of 16) was 16 at some point. Do you propose that everyone under 17 stop commenting? I haven't seen the physical card, but yes I have worked with and played on a quadro workstation 3 days a week during the school year for the past 2 years.

Tip to those that are new on LTT forum- quote a post so that the person you are quoting gets a notification, otherwise they'll have no idea that you did. You can also use a tag such as @Ryoutarou97 (replace my username with anyone's. You should get a dropdown after you type the "@")to send a notification, but quoting is preferable.

Feel free to PM me about absolutely anything be it tech, math, literature, etc. I'll try my best to help. I'm currently looking for a cheap used build for around $25 to set up as a home server if anyone is selling.

If you are a native speaker please use proper English if you can. Punctuation, capitalization, and spelling are as important to making your message readable as proper night theme formatting is.

My build is fully operational, but won't be posted until after I get a GPU in it and the case arted up.

• 3 years later...

Hello guys, this is my first point on this forum ever. Thanks for the fertile discussion. I just want to add an illustration to the topic. I am a FSX enthusiast and I run it with a Quadro K4000.

I run FSX with max settings (100% plus full effects, shadows, anti-aliasing, blooms, etc..) , Europe Terrain X Add on, severall sceneries and aircraft add ons, plus virtual cockpit, flight operations, etc.. etc...

Like I said I run FSX with 100% details except for traffic in which I use ultra high default settings (still very complex).

I use Dell Precision workstation with 16 Xeon cores 16 GB RAM and Nvidea Quadro k4000

It truly flies even in the most busiest scenarios, never less than 40 FPS, worst case scnearion.

Cheers,

p.s -  You need to edit the settings of the Quadro K4000 on the Nvidea Control panel to optimize it for FSX though.

I've got a 10yo Dell laptop with Quadro in it.  It can run games like the original UT, but not modern games

CPU i7 4960x Ivy Bridge Extreme | 64GB Quad DDR-3 RAM | MBD Asus x79-Deluxe | RTX 2080 ti FE 11GB |
Thermaltake 850w PWS | ASUS ROG 27" IPS 1440p | | Win 7 pro x64 |