Can Quadros work for gaming

potatoproduction

Let's say I have a Quadro for my workstation could I use it to game just as a side thing? Or would it's performance be to bad for gaming?

It'd be unoptimised. Like driving a Toyota Prius at a drag event. It can do it, but it wasn't designed to.

CPU: AMD 7800X3D Motherboard: NZXT B650E RAM: 32GB 5600 30-CL Corsair Vengeance DDR5 GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 2070 PSU: Corsair RM850i Monitor: Samsung 27" 4K thing Cooling:Noctua Chromax Black NH-D15: Case: NZXT H510 Black

quadros/firepro cards are designed for reliability. Imagine underclocking a 3.3 ghz CPU to like 2.5 ghz and putting some full speed noctuas on it.

No.. That's not how it works.

No.. That's not how it works.

Okay, its kinda how it works. They strive for reliability and precision as apposed to absolute performance. I guess a better comparison would be buffered vs unbuffered memory

Okay, its kinda how it works. They strive for reliability and precision as apposed to absolute performance. I guess a better comparison would be buffered vs unbuffered memory

Nope. They run at pretty much the same stock clocks, they're designed to work even in constant heat without dying. Not even close.

Nope. They run at pretty much the same stock clocks, they're designed to work even in constant heat without dying. Not even close.

the point I am trying to make is that they are designed to be run for a long time without failing. The chip could probably be pushed much faster, but it might not last as long. I know what I am trying to say but I cant get it out in words :P

the point I am trying to make is that they are designed to be run for a long time without failing. The chip could probably be pushed much faster, but it might not last as long. I know what I am trying to say but I cant get it out in words :P

Uh huh...

So they are cherrypicked ones like Intel's Xeon series right ? ( Edit : The new , low end Xeon at least , like the 1231 ) 

... Life is a game and the checkpoints are your birthday , you will face challenges where you may not get rewarded afterwords but those are the challenges that help you improve yourself . Always live for tomorrow because you may never know when your game will be over ... I'm totally not going insane in anyway , shape or form ... I just have broken English and an open mind ... 

So they are cherrypicked ones like Intel's Xeon series right ? ( Edit : The new , low end Xeon at least , like the 1231 ) 

Sorta. The biggest difference between a Quadro and GeForce card is drivers and software support with how things actually run on the card.

I work in the IT business but I cant for the life of me make words happen. Its a tuesday. Ignore my title, I am working right now. "working"

Then speeeeeeaaaaaaaak. :P

I work in the IT business but I cant for the life of me make words happen. Its a tuesday. Ignore my title, I am working right now. "working"

Basically, the chips themselves are identical, between the Maxwell Quadro and the Maxwell GPU (At any given "Level" anyway). The Quadro's might be cherry picked.chips.

The biggest difference is:

1. ECC memory on the Quadro, and

2. Drivers. Drivers drivers drivers. This is the main reason why Quadro's suck at gaming, because the drivers are just simply not optimized for gaming at all.

The drivers might work, and with some games, they might even run alright, but mostly, you'll find your performance is pretty much shit. You'll be getting smoked by $200 GPU's, when using your fancy $4000 GPU.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I'm currently using a Quadro K4000, its absolutely amazing as a workstation GPU, extremely reliable, can take the brunt of it and is overall fantastic for rendering, compute tasks, VFX, editing, animation etc... Gaming, you can play pretty much all games at high/very high settings at 1080p, no AA with about 35-45 FPS. But I paid a boat load of money for that card for my workstation. You can buy a cheaper "gaming" geforce card and it'll demolish the Quadro for gaming. As a side hobby gaming with a decent Quadro will be fine. Just fine.

I'm currently using a Quadro K4000, its absolutely amazing as a workstation GPU, extremely reliable, can take the brunt of it and is overall fantastic for rendering, compute tasks, VFX, editing, animation etc... Gaming, you can play pretty much all games at high/very high settings at 1080p, no AA with about 35-45 FPS. But I paid a boat load of money for that card for my workstation. You can buy a cheaper "gaming" geforce card and it'll demolish the Quadro for gaming. As a side hobby gaming with a decent Quadro will be fine. Just fine.

Haha yeah I was going to say, you can get the same performance with a $300 GeForce GPU :P - The K4000 is around $800 USD after all :P

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Would a Titan x be a good in between

Potato production,

The real question is what do you need a Quadro for?

the Nvidia Quadro K2200 played many games just fine and was about $300 I played GTA5 without issues on settings between medium and high.

the Nvidia Quadro K2200 played many games just fine and was about $300 I played GTA5 without issues on settings between medium and high.

It might work "just fine", but a $300 GPU would wreck the shit out of your K2200 in GTA 5, or any other game.

Depends on your exact usage. Could you please list all the programs you intend on using that will take advantage of your GPU? Will you need 10-bit colour? Will you need ECC memory? Will you need Double Precision Floating Point calculations?

A Titan Black might be better than a Titan X, depending on your exact scenario.

A Quadro card failed on me after 4-5 years of use. But again it was a Tesla card so it ran hot anyway...

Did run games, ran like shit tho.

I have used a xeon/k2000 workstation, and while it wasn't amazing for gaming, it certainly wasn't crap. Didn't stop to check framerate, but unreal tournament (2011, maybe?) was definately playable I would say 45-60 range. This was on 1920x1200, by the way.

Edited by Ryoutarou97

Tip to those that are new on LTT forum- quote a post so that the person you are quoting gets a notification, otherwise they'll have no idea that you did. You can also use a tag such as @Ryoutarou97 (replace my username with anyone's. You should get a dropdown after you type the "@")to send a notification, but quoting is preferable.

Feel free to PM me about absolutely anything be it tech, math, literature, etc. I'll try my best to help. I'm currently looking for a cheap used build for around $25 to set up as a home server if anyone is selling.

If you are a native speaker please use proper English if you can. Punctuation, capitalization, and spelling are as important to making your message readable as proper night theme formatting is.

My build is fully operational, but won't be posted until after I get a GPU in it and the case arted up.

I suggest you figure out what you will primarily be using the GPU for. If it's going to be a workstation for work most of the time then a Quadro will be perfect for it(compute tasks, VFX, Animation, Editing etc) and gaming is a just a casual hobby for in between breaks or an hour or two a day, it won't matter.

If you will be gaming most of the time and doing work related stuff less on your system buy a decent geforce card. Quadro only for work! Geforce for gaming! Also if you don't really require the ECC memory, 10bit color etc a geforce will still be quite awesome at VFX, Animation, editing, content creation etc. It will still be reliable and fast plus you can game. If you require extreme stability and precision that most proper work requires then Quadro all the way

Titan x isn't a workstation card. It is purely gaming 1000% of the time.

The closest thing to a dual purpose card is the regular/black titan.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Titan x isn't a workstation card. It is purely gaming 1000% of the time.

The closest thing to a dual purpose card is the regular/black titan.

Titan Black is a true dual purpose card, since it supports Double Precision, etc.

Titan X can definitely still be used as a workstation/gaming card, but it lacks the more advanced functions that many people may need/want, such as ECC, double precision, 10-bit colour, etc. If you just need GPU Acceleration (Eg: CUDA), but don't need the rest, then a Titan X can actually make sense.