Best LGA1150 Z97 ATX board for under $160

The title says it all. I am intending to use this motherboard with a i7 4790k and want to do some midlevel overclocking.

The title says it all. I am intending to use this motherboard with a i7 4790k and want to do some midlevel overclocking.

unlike amd cpu`s, mobos dont really restrict your overclocking unless your going balls to the wall, what features are you looking for ? like crossfire, sli, both ? stuff like that

Spoiler

The Ninja (current gaming pc)  Case- h440 red/black cpu- i5-4690k@ 4.3ghz cooler- coolermaster hyper 212 evo moboGigabyte z97x-sli ram- adata xpg v.1 2x4gb 1600mhz gpu- asus strix gtx 970 hdd- wd blue 1tb ssd- kingston hyperx savage 240gb psu- evga 600b peripherals: mouse- razer death adder 2013 keyboard- corsair k70 with chery mx-reds headset- HyperX Cloud 2

my laptop- toshiba satelite p850, cpu- i7-3630qm ram- 8gb 1600mhz hdd- 1tb 5400rpm gpu- Nvidia gt630m 2gb

did you know we have a gun thread ? well we do 

and a car thread ! 

motherboards don't effect the performance very much, choose whatever suites your colour scheme

u wot m7+1

Well im just torn between the MSi gaming 5 and the ASUS Z97 both at around $150

which asus board ?

Spoiler

The Ninja (current gaming pc)  Case- h440 red/black cpu- i5-4690k@ 4.3ghz cooler- coolermaster hyper 212 evo moboGigabyte z97x-sli ram- adata xpg v.1 2x4gb 1600mhz gpu- asus strix gtx 970 hdd- wd blue 1tb ssd- kingston hyperx savage 240gb psu- evga 600b peripherals: mouse- razer death adder 2013 keyboard- corsair k70 with chery mx-reds headset- HyperX Cloud 2

my laptop- toshiba satelite p850, cpu- i7-3630qm ram- 8gb 1600mhz hdd- 1tb 5400rpm gpu- Nvidia gt630m 2gb

and a car thread ! 

Z97 Pro Gamer

Whichever's cheaper or looks the most aesthetically pleasing to you (the red on the MSI stands out more, which some people prefer but some don't). Performance and features wise there is little noticeable difference.

"Rawr XD"

unlike amd cpu`s, mobos dont really restrict your overclocking unless your going balls to the wall, what features are you looking for ? like crossfire, sli, both ? stuff like that

Want something with 2 4-pin cpu fan headers at least 3 chassis 4-pin fan headers, I also want to be able to at least be able to do 2-way crossfire or SLI. I really dont care how it looks, I just want a well-built Z97 motherboard that has useful features.

Z97 Pro Gamer

id say whichever is cheaper or looks better to you

Spoiler

and a car thread ! 

asus or gigabyte

I just bought a gigabyte motherboard (black edition) because of the free upgrade programme. I must say, the UEFI kinda sucks. I'm comming from an ASrock mobo, having build my friend and his brother pc's with ASrock z97 and msi z97 mobos. 

Asus, in terms of features and functionaly wins, followed by ASRock, imo.

Anyways, most mobos around the same price offer the same stuff. But still, i would recommend asus or ASrock.

Want something with 2 4-pin cpu fan headers at least 3 chassis 4-pin fan headers, I also want to be able to at least be able to do 2-way crossfire or SLI. I really dont care how it looks, I just want a well-built Z97 motherboard that has useful features.

the gaming 5 has 3 fan connectors with 2 cpu fan connectors and supports 3 way crossfire or 2 way sli, the asus board also has the same fan connectors and suports sli and crossfire so its really whatever is cheaper imo

Spoiler

and a car thread ! 

the gaming 5 has 3 fan connectors with 2 cpu fan connectors and supports 3 way crossfire or 2 way sli, the asus board also has the same fan connectors and suports sli and crossfire so its really whatever is cheaper imo

I think i'm just gonna go with the Pro Gamer, as ASUS is known to have a slightly higher build quality than MSI and better reliability.

I think i'm just gonna go with the Pro Gamer, as ASUS is known to have a slightly higher build quality than MSI and better reliability.

Well, crap, the Pro Gamer isn't on Amazon and i wanted to get all of my parts for my upgrade on the same site :(

I am planning the same build as well.  In my research I have been led to believe the mobo's power supply type and number of phases affect the overclock potential. Is this critical for "midlevel" OC'ing  or only when trying to reach max potential? Has this been over blown or maybe marketing hype? 

Doesn't more $$ equal higher quality caps?  Or more marketing hype?

Since I am near a Microcenter I was going to go with a Maximus VII Hero, $189 combo price, but since I'm new to overclocking, I thought I could forgo all the bells and whistles, and settled for the Z97 Pro Gamer. Apart from available ports, etc  I also considered the UEFI interface, each mfg has their ins and outs.

I've got an Asus z97 pro gamer coming today so it gets my vote lol

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb