Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ONOTech

[Build Log] "Arthur" - Double Xeons

I should ask mortis to make me a custom notification system which sends me a message

as soon as somebody does anything LGA1366- or dual-socket related. :D

It's really a marvelously long-lived platform.

Posted · Original PosterOP

Another fail attempt at a banner. Follow if this seems interesting

post-53289-0-23106400-1437315744.png

So, as many of you know, I have an OK machine for my resolution: FX 6300, R7770, 8 GB of RAM, and a 1680X1050 monitor. For games, it generally does what it needs to do, but it's starting to lag behind. What I dislike about it the most though is the fact that rendering and editing has been slowing down quite a bit. Rendering a 10 minute 1080p video has taken up to an hour and that just seems too long in my opinion. With that being said, I think it's time for an upgrade...but, not a regular type of upgrade. I like to get the most out of my money, and so, with a lot of research and a ton of help from @Octavialicious, I have decided this is a perfect build for me. At least for the time being.

Purple - arrived

Green - ordered

Red - not ordered

CPU(s): 2 Xeon X5550s or 5570s - These go for no more than $25 a piece on eBay...NEW. They're pretty much i7 950s (around there) with 4 cores and 8 threads. Put two of these in one machine and you have an actual 8 core computer that can rival the highest i7 computers in multi-threaded, and occasionally single threaded, applications. It would be insane to not go for it.

Motherboard: SuperMicro X8Dti Dual Socket LGA 1366 - Kinda pricey and there are cheaper options out there, but this one was recommended. Has everything I need and then some. Supports like 192 GB of RAM or something, and that is a major plus for me.

RAM/Memory: 16 GB (4x4) ECC RAM - Cheap. Like $57 for 16 GB of RAM which I also think is insane. The motherboard is very upgrade-able, since ECC is so cheap, I can add some more at any time. Definitely a plus

Hard Drive: 1 TB HDD - I really would like more than this, but I can only afford 1 TB as of now. This is double than my current drive, so I'm not really complaining either. I also have a spare 80 GB HDD laying around, so I can plug that in as well.

Video Card: R9 290 (non-ref, despite the banner picture) - My theory is to try and get this for a cheap price on reddit or eBay. I don't play any super intensive games (MMOs, light shooters, emulators etc), so I think the 290 will be just fine for 1440p. 

Power Supply: 650W 80+ Certified - I still have not decided which power supply I am going to buy yet, but 650W will be enough since I will not be over-clocking anything. I'm assuming this computer will hit 500W MAX (and that's being generous. It will probably be closer to 450) and so 650W will be just fine.

Case: Rosewill ARMOR-EVO - Cheapest E-ATX case I could find. It's on sale right now. I just hope it stays on sale till Tuesday, which is when I will order the majority of the parts. 

Monitor: QNIX 1440P Monitor - I think I will be judged for doing this, but oh well. Who cares. It has good reviews and is OC'able as well. For $200 new, I can't complain whatsoever. Why not 1080p you ask? When you have been on 1680X1050 for 2 years, you want to go big. I'd rather go 1440p now and stay there for the next 6 years than get 1080p now and want 1440p in 2 years. :P

Final Pictures

WAIT

Benchmarks

WAIT DAMNIT

post-53289-0-23106400-1437315744.png

Thats my name!

so your gonna send this to me then right?

JK

shhhhh no one was meant to know...remember?

Looks interesting!

Danke schon!

I'm from the Netherlands not Germany :P but I can still understand you.

Lol, sorry. I probably should have realized that.

Posted · Best Answer

I should ask mortis to make me a custom notification system which sends me a message

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Xeon X5550s D: 

THATS INSANE???? why isnt everyone using these for every build? you can get brand new ones with are just as fast as the i5 4690 in many places for 25 bucks?!?!

only issue is the old motherboards

That would be incredible :D

I think it is. Intel did really well with that platform and I'm stoked to try it out. Good motherboards are $120+ though, which sucks D:

Xeon X5550s D: 

THATS INSANE???? why isnt everyone using these for every build? you can get brand new ones with are just as fast as the i5 4690 in many places for 25 bucks?!?!

Yeah, I think it's mostly because of the older motherboards. They're expensive. Same with the cases. I'm lucky that the ARMOR-EVO is only $60 right now. Generally, E-ATX cases are at least $90

Xeon X5550s D: 

Good motherboards are not that easy to find these days (and still tend to be quite expensive),

and as long as you do something where single-thread performance is very important, newer

platforms will be superior. But yes, if you have something which can nicely use multi-threading,

then dual-socket 1366 systems offer very good bang for buck these days and can still run

circles around newer systems with fewer cores.

Another disadvantage is that you also need two coolers and a case to house the usually big

motherboard, which adds cost too.

I have two dual-socket LGA1366 systems, and they're awesome for what I do with them (one is

a server which runs a few VMs and stuff, the other is a BOINC computing machine), but there

are tasks where newer platforms will be the preferable choice.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Have you considered a single LGA1366 socket running a single Xeon X5675? You can find that CPU for around $100 on ebay and it's a six-core CPU. With overclocking it'll also reach better single-threaded performance. Basically, once overclocked it'll be almost exactly like a brand new i7-5820k at stock clocks, and you can do this for around $125 for the MoBo and $100 for the CPU, and then whatever cooler you pick. You'll lose 2 cores and some multi-threaded performance, but for a dual purpose machine the overclocking headroom you gain (The X5675 is a 32nm chip, and the X5550 is a 45nm chip) leads to stronger single-threaded performance for better gaming. Basically, it'll be most likely cheaper and better suited to the tasks you're likely to do.

edit: something like this (these are random items I found on ebay and have not looked into the sellers or item specifics):

MSI X58-Pro-E Motherboard $150

Xeon X5675 $108

And that gets you, once overclocked (and yes you can overclock these Xeons via BCLK overclocking) you'll get amazing performance for the price you paid. As I said, almost like an i7-5820k at stock clocks if you can reach a high enough overclock.

For reference, here is my i7-920 (4 cores with hyper threading, same architecture as the Xeon X5675) Passmark results at 4.0 GHz, compared to the i7-5820k passmark results at stock:

i7-920 @4.0 GHz:

7349 Multi-Threaded
1702 Single-Threaded

i7-5820k Stock:

12982 Multi-Threaded
1994 Single-Threaded

Edited by Lotus

Have you considered a single LGA1366 socket running a single Xeon X5675? You can find that CPU for around $100 on ebay and it's a six-core CPU. With overclocking it'll also reach much better single-threaded performance. Basically, once overclocked it'll be almost exactly like a brand new i7-5820k at stock clocks, and you can do this for around $125 for the MoBo and $100 for the CPU, and then whatever cooler you pick. You'll lose 2 cores and some multi-threaded performance, but for a dual purpose machine the overclocking headroom you gain (The X5675 is a 32nm chip, and the X5550 is a 45nm chip) leads to stronger single-threaded performance for better gaming. Basically, it'll be most likely cheaper and better suited to the tasks you're likely to do.

edit: something like this (these are random items I found on ebay and have not looked into the sellers or item specifics):

MSI X58-Pro-E Motherboard $150

Xeon X5675 $108

And that gets you, once overclocked (and yes you can overclock these Xeons via BCLK overclocking) you'll get amazing performance for the price you paid. As I said, almost like an i7-5820k at stock clocks if you can reach a high enough overclock.

For reference, here is my i7-920 (4 cores with hyper threading, same architecture as the Xeon X5675) Passmark results at 4.0 GHz, compared to the i7-5820k passmark results at stock:

i7-920 @4.0 GHz:

7349 Multi-Threaded

1702 Single-Threaded

i7-5820k Stock:

12982 Multi-Threaded

1994 Single-Threaded

Actually, this was my first choice after watching this video:

The only issue is money. It would be about $260 to get a Xeon and a motherboard, and then another $35 or so for a decent CPU cooler. At that point, I would have to cut back on a lot of other things such as RAM, the GPU, and the potentially the monitor. If I can save up a bit more, which is kinda plausible, I will go for it. 

It's kinda ironic how a dual CPU setup is cheaper than a single CPU setup as well lol. Also, thanks for the benchmark scores. I'll use them as reference.

Quick question.

I've been pretty set on getting X5570s for this build, but I found Xeon L5640s on eBay for around 50. They're 32 NM, 60W 6-core CPUs clocked at 2.26 GHz (2.8 turbo). I feel like that would be a better investment, but I would like a second opinion. Any ideas? Thank you.

Quick question.

I've been pretty set on getting X5570s for this build, but I found Xeon L5640s on eBay for around 50. They're 32 NM, 60W 6-core CPUs clocked at 2.26 GHz (2.8 turbo). I feel like that would be a better investment, but I would like a second opinion. Any ideas? Thank you.

Seems decent enough, but not likely to hit as high overclocks as the X5675. If you don't want to spend that much, you'd be better off with the Xeon E5649. If you're going for a six core, then you really don't need the dual socket unless you're doing very heavy workstation/rendering tasks. Two of these will beat even an i7-5960x in multi-threaded benchmarks.

Quick question.

Well, as Lotus said, if you have something which can make use of those threads, the hexcores

will be awesome, otherwise a higher-clocked quadcore might be more suitable. Since you mention

rendering as one of your main motivations for this build in the first place, the hexcores

might be worth a look.

Seems decent enough, but not likely to hit as high overclocks as the X5675. If you don't want to spend that much, you'd be better off with the Xeon E5649. If you're going for a six core, then you really don't need the dual socket unless you're doing very heavy workstation/rendering tasks. Two of these will beat even an i7-5960x in multi-threaded benchmarks.

Ok, that does make sense. 8 cores at 2.93 GHz is fine, but I really like to get the most out of my money. I guess the 6 cores would only be worth it if I OC'ed it, but finding LGA 1366 OC'able motherboards that fit the budget can get kinda hard. 

Well, as Lotus said, if you have something which can make use of those threads, the hexcores

will be awesome, otherwise a higher-clocked quadcore might be more suitable. Since you mention

rendering as one of your main motivations for this build in the first place, the hexcores

might be worth a look.

I don't really think I have anything too intensive that can take full control of two hexa-core processors. I render in Sony Vegas and may do VMs once in a while, but I think I'll stick with the 5570s. 8 cores at 2.9 GHz seems sufficient enough for me for the time being. I may upgrade to higher end models in the future. 

I had absolutely no idea there was this price to performance sweet spot with these old xeons

Right? I'm very happy that I found out about this sooner than later.

Ok, that does make sense. 8 cores at 2.93 GHz is fine, but I really like to get the most out of my money. I guess the 6 cores would only be worth it if I OC'ed it, but finding LGA 1366 OC'able motherboards that fit the budget can get kinda hard.

Unless we're talking modded BIOS, there's only one dual-socket LGA3166 board which can

overclock Xeons via BCLK that I'm aware of: the EVGA SR-2. And it's about as hard to

find as a unicorn these days (and often about as expensive as a unicorn would be if you

do find one :D ). I've tried to find one as a spare for mine but those I have found were

way too expensive.

As for your choice of CPU, sounds like a plan. thumb.gif

Unless we're talking modded BIOS, there's only one dual-socket LGA3166 board which can

overclock Xeons via BCLK that I'm aware of: the EVGA SR-2. And it's about as hard to

find as a unicorn these days (and often about as expensive as a unicorn would be if you

do find one :D ). I've tried to find one as a spare for mine but those I have found were

way too expensive.

As for your choice of CPU, sounds like a plan. thumb.gif

Yeah. I was hoping I could find someone who modded the BIOS on the X8Dti since it is a pretty popular motherboard, but no luck thus far. The SR-2 is so damn rare and can go for as much as like $400 that it's not worth it unfortunately :P. Maybe it would go down in price eventually lol.

Is the dual CPU build your primary one btw? Or just for server uses

Yeah. I was hoping I could find someone who modded the BIOS on the X8Dti since it is a pretty popular motherboard, but no luck thus far. The SR-2 is so damn rare and can go for as much as like $400 that it's not worth it unfortunately :P. Maybe it would go down in price eventually lol.

Is the dual CPU build your primary one btw? Or just for server uses

Yeah, 400 is actually a good price for an SR-2, I've seen ones for 600-800 in recent months.

Seems it's become such a collector's item that its price is going up instead of down. :D

Then again, maybe it's leveled off and will be going into a more reasonable direction at some

point. Keep in mind that it's quite a bit larger than a regular dual-socket board, so

there aren't too many cases which can fit it even if they support the normal 2CPU boards.

I have two dual-socket LGA1366 rigs. My main one, which is still not really done, because

money :D : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/11201-helios-caselabs-smh10-blackcopper-evga-sr-2-geforce-titan-by-alpenwasser/

And a server: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/75887-apollo-2-cpu-lga1366-server-inwin-pp689-by-alpenwasser/

The main rig is offline at the moment, but its main purpose is BOINC and just general work

stuff. The server runs a few VMs for file server, VPN server and what I just happen to be

playing around with on any given day. Both are running Arch Linux, the fileserver is running

ZFS as its storage system.

If you're willing to go with a single 6-core Xeon CPU, this just showed up on ebay: (again, I'm unfamiliar with the seller so at your own risk blah blah)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gigabyte-GA-X58A-UD3R-Rev-1-0-Motherboard-for-LGA-1366-Processors-TESTED-/252032932639?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3aae555b1f

Quite a decent X58 motherboard since it supports both USB3 and Sata3 (6GB/S), which is a rarity for X58 boards. Plus the BIN is low. If I were in the market for a new system, this and the highest binned hexa-core I could get for my budget would be the route I'd take and then overclock the snot out of it, but then again I'm also a gamer so I value single-threaded performance more than you might. Hell, that'd be $225 total (assuming $75 CPU) that once overclocked can still rival an x99 board and i7-5820k for about 1/3rd the cost and maintain the featureset of USB3 and Sata3. Win all around.

Yeah, 400 is actually a good price for an SR-2, I've seen ones for 600-800 in recent months.

Seems it's become such a collector's item that its price is going up instead of down. :D

Then again, maybe it's leveled off and will be going into a more reasonable direction at some

point. Keep in mind that it's quite a bit larger than a regular dual-socket board, so

there aren't too many cases which can fit it even if they support the normal 2CPU boards.

I have two dual-socket LGA1366 rigs. My main one, which is still not really done, because

money :D : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/11201-helios-caselabs-smh10-blackcopper-evga-sr-2-geforce-titan-by-alpenwasser/

And a server: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/75887-apollo-2-cpu-lga1366-server-inwin-pp689-by-alpenwasser/

The main rig is offline at the moment, but its main purpose is BOINC and just general work

stuff. The server runs a few VMs for file server, VPN server and what I just happen to be

playing around with on any given day. Both are running Arch Linux, the fileserver is running

ZFS as its storage system.

You're right lol, $400 is actually cheap. Heck, one of the bids I just saw started at like $350 which is crazy to think motherboards THIS old are still very valuable. Also, you got the SR-2! How much did that cost at the time?

Nice computers. I bet your scores for BOINC are near unbelievable..

If you're willing to go with a single 6-core Xeon CPU, this just showed up on ebay: (again, I'm unfamiliar with the seller so at your own risk blah blah)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gigabyte-GA-X58A-UD3R-Rev-1-0-Motherboard-for-LGA-1366-Processors-TESTED-/252032932639?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3aae555b1f

Quite a decent X58 motherboard since it supports both USB3 and Sata3 (6GB/S), which is a rarity for X58 boards. Plus the BIN is low. If I were in the market for a new system, this and the highest binned hexa-core I could get for my budget would be the route I'd take and then overclock the snot out of it, but then again I'm also a gamer so I value single-threaded performance more than you might. Hell, that'd be $225 total (assuming $75 CPU) that once overclocked can still rival an x99 board and i7-5820k for about 1/3rd the cost and maintain the featureset of USB3 and Sata3. Win all around.

I'm actually considering this a lot simply because it seems like better value and is worthy of the extra $100 or so. Hopefully I can cough up the extra cash, because if it s around a 5820K, that would be perfect all around. 

I'll see what I can do. Thanks for the find. I appreciate it.

EDIT: It seems like it doesn't support the X56XX and 55XX series, only the W36XX and W35XX series which seem to be cheaper. Would I be missing out on anything if I get the W3XXX series Xeon?

You're right lol, $400 is actually cheap. Heck, one of the bids I just saw started at like $350 which is crazy to think motherboards THIS old are still very valuable. Also, you got the SR-2! How much did that cost at the time?

I'm actually considering this a lot simply because it seems like better value and is worthy of the extra $100 or so. Hopefully I can cough up the extra cash, because if it s around a 5820K, that would be perfect all around. For instance, here is someone with the same motherboard running an x5670.

EDIT: It seems like it doesn't support the X56XX and 55XX series, only the W36XX and W35XX series which seem to be cheaper. Would I be missing out on anything if I get the W3XXX series Xeon?

Many motherboards don't list support explicitly for the X5660, but it works just fine. My DX58S0 doesn't list support for the cpu but does list support for the W3XXX series, but people have used the X5660 in them just fine.

Also remember I'm kind of being unfair to the i7-5820k because I'm comparing the overclocked x5660 to the stock clocked i7-5820k.

Pretty much any of the following CPUs will do great once overclocked if you don't lose the silicon lottery: x5650, x5660, x5670, and the x5675. It just depends on whichever one you can find for your budget and which one is binned the highest as that's the difference between them.

Yeah, it's a funny piece of hardware, the SR-2. We have people coming by the owners

thread on OCN every so often and ask if anyone is willing to sell their board, or sell

for a "reasonable" price, but usually it's a No-Go.

I bought my board back in January 2012 for 700 Swiss Francs, which is about 730 USD

today.

Thanks. :)

Funnily enuogh, GPU work is valued so much higher in BOINC than CPU work that my

Titan makes about 90% of all credits, 24 threads be damned. lachen.gif

But yeah, I do alright. Although for the time being the machine is offline because

I've taken it apart for working on it.

I'm actually considering this a lot simply because it seems like better value and is worthy of the extra $100 or so. Hopefully I can cough up the extra cash, because if it s around a 5820K, that would be perfect all around. 

The Xeon W3[5,6]XX are just the single-socket version of the X5[5,6]XX, which means

they have one of their QPI links disabled (the one which is needed for the communication

between the CPUs). According to the Intel Ark, they also have support for less RAM

and lack VT-d (which could be relevant in VM environments).

As Lotus says, many motherboards will support dual-socket Xeons, but you won't be

sure until you try it out (or find somebody who's successfully done it).