Korean 1440p monitor - X-Star DP2710 - received mine today, take a look!

Streamline

After being interested in those 1440p monitors for a little while already I have informed myself a ton about those monitors for the last two weeks, and after Logan's video from TekSyndicate on the X-Star DP2710, I decided to pull the trigger on it from the same ebay seller as Logan recommended (dream-seller). After waiting for it for 6 business days (South Korea -> Luxembourg) (it was delayed for 1 day because they opened my package when it was imported :[ ) , it finally arrived today

Thanks for the post. How much less "responsive" does it feel compared to a 120Hz monitor, particularly in FPS games?

Thanks for the post. How much less "responsive" does it feel compared to a 120Hz monitor, particularly in FPS games?

I don't really have anything to compare the monitor to. Never owned a 120Hz monitor and I didn't fully overclock the monitor to 120Hz but only to 90 and then went back to 60 because I didn't feel like it was worth it. I'm also not a big FPS player anymore. My competetive CS:S times are long behind and I'm very very very casually playing BF3 and for the rest I'm playing MMORPGs and LoL.

Thanks man I was just about to ask! Nice monitor! I'm planning on sticking with 1080p to around September when I can get my second 780 Ti

CPU Intel Core i7 4770K 3.5 Ghz  Motherboard Asus Z87 Pro 1150  RAM Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 16GB (Blue LED)  GPU EVGA 780 Ti Classified  Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl (windowed)  Storage Seagate Hybrid Drive ST1000DX001 1TB and Samsung 840 EVO 120GB  PSU Corsair RM 1000W Display(s) ASUS VG248QE Black 24" 144Hz 1ms (3D)  Cooling Corsair H100i

I have the Qnix's equivalent monitor and im running 96Hz with HD 7850 and stock cable. I cant see any reason for you to wait untill you get a new GPU to overclock this monitor. its like saying that you are overclocking it after you get your new keyboard, it makes no sense. Just use the CRU. It literally takes only 5min to OC the monitor

40% of these monitos reach 120Hz. Mine did, but it caused color shifting with stock cable

Backlight bleeding:

LBhWfhr.jpg

Not all that bad :/ I can't actually notice it when using it normally.

Normally you would take backlight bleeding photos in a dark room so I'm not 100% if its the lighting in the room, but that looks like it has terrible bleeding from all 4 corners? Normally these get them a bit on the bottom left but that's it.

If it is bleeding I would highly reccomend trying to sort a replacement.

I have the Qnix's equivalent monitor and im running 96Hz with HD 7850 and stock cable. I cant see any reason for you to wait untill you get a new GPU to overclock this monitor. its like saying that you are overclocking it after you get your new keyboard, it makes no sense. Just use the CRU. It literally takes only 5min to OC the monitor

40% of these monitos reach 120Hz. Mine did, but it caused color shifting with stock cable

I actually received my 780 a long time ago (this post must be like 5 months old now) and the monitor is still sitting at 60hz, simply because I don't feel the need to overclock it. Maybe I'm going to sit down and overclock it again next week and see if the difference is worth it for me. Also, I'm doing amateur photoshop work so if you say it's shiting colors I'm certainly not going to overclock it.

Normally you would take backlight bleeding photos in a dark room so I'm not 100% if its the lighting in the room, but that looks like it has terrible bleeding from all 4 corners? Normally these get them a bit on the bottom left but that's it.

If it is bleeding I would highly reccomend trying to sort a replacement.

I don't notice the bleed at all so I'm not going to sort a replacement. I think they also don't replace monitors with bleed as they stated it on their website. I also did attempt a fix with black electric tape which did help a bit but didnt fully solve the problem. However I'm can still take it apart again and see if I can bend the frame straight which as I heard from someone on reddit should fix the problem entirely.

g1382478089951294824.jpg

Wish i bought one when i had the money now!

Where do bad folks go when they die?
They don't go to heaven where the angels fly
They go to the lake of fire and fry, Won't see them again 'till the fourth of July

I knowa  aguy that bought one of those X-star 27inch panels. Now I don't know how things work in the US and otehr countries, but over here you're paying import duties and customs fees for anything from outside the EU. So while he DID get that panel for about 100 euros cheaper than say a Dell Ultrasharp...the customs fees and taxes actually made it cost about the same. I which case it seems beyond silly to buy a Korean panel.

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

Got one of these too few weeks ago. Ditched my VG248QE for this since it has IPS plus OC'ed to 96 Hz and 1440p. All those candies for my eyes hmm....

I knowa  aguy that bought one of those X-star 27inch panels. Now I don't know how things work in the US and otehr countries, but over here you're paying import duties and customs fees for anything from outside the EU. So while he DID get that panel for about 100 euros cheaper than say a Dell Ultrasharp...the customs fees and taxes actually made it cost about the same. I which case it seems beyond silly to buy a Korean panel.

In Canada with FedEx shipping they hit you with $25 import fees/ duty

CPU: i7 4770k @ 4.3Ghz with NH-D14 | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz | Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VI Hero | GPU: SLI GTX780 Windforce | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro | HDD: WD Black | PSUEVGA SuperNova 1300W | Case: Fractal Define R4 | Monitor: X-Star DP2710 1440p @ 96Hz | Mouse: DeathAdder  | Keyboard: CM Storm CherryMX Red | Headset: Kraken Pro | Headphones: HE-400

Where did you buy it? Can I have the link? I may be looking to buy 2 to replace my 3 1080p's

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Got one of these too few weeks ago. Ditched my VG248QE for this since it has IPS plus OC'ed to 96 Hz and 1440p. All those candies for my eyes hmm....

How much of a difference is it? I really want to sell my 3 vg248qe's for 2-3 1440p's

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Where did you buy it? Can I have the link? I may be looking to buy 2 to replace my 3 1080p's

You have to buy them on Ebay, I got mine from dreamseller.  Arrived in about 4 days. 

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/330932578190

CPU: i7 4770k @ 4.3Ghz with NH-D14 | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz | Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VI Hero | GPU: SLI GTX780 Windforce | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro | HDD: WD Black | PSUEVGA SuperNova 1300W | Case: Fractal Define R4 | Monitor: X-Star DP2710 1440p @ 96Hz | Mouse: DeathAdder  | Keyboard: CM Storm CherryMX Red | Headset: Kraken Pro | Headphones: HE-400

How does it compare to something like the Dell U2713HM IPS panel? They're similarly priced (around $700 USD). How is this monitors color reproduction?

In Canada with FedEx shipping they hit you with $25 import fees/ duty

Yeah in that case I can see the appeal, that's much less than you'd have to pay for here. :/

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

How does it compare to something like the Dell U2713HM IPS panel? They're similarly priced (around $700 USD). How is this monitors color reproduction?

The actual LED panel is made by samsung. The korean monitor is way less then 700USD. No issues with color representation here (Use pantones in photoshop regularly compared to a pantone book).

The actual LED panel is made by samsung. The korean monitor is way less then 700USD. No issues with color representation here (Use pantones in photoshop regularly compared to a pantone book).

Sounds good. I was looking for a cheap alternative to some of the more expensive panels like the Dell Ultrasharp I stated in my above post and $1,000 iMac. I might actually end up getting this after all.

thats 2x the price, how is that similarly priced :P

I am just jelly of your super cheap imports right now x3

How much of a difference is it? I really want to sell my 3 vg248qe's for 2-3 1440p's

IMO when gaming with 1080p and AA I still see a few jaggies while in 1440p the jaggies are decreased and further things looked more clear. In windows, text and pictures looked better too. The korean monitors also can be OC'ed to 120hz so its like an upgrade from the VG248QE. The downside is some of them will come in with dead pixels and backlight bleeding but thankfully the one I got doesn't. Keep in mind triple 27' may be too wide but depends how far you sit. But overall I think it worthed to upgrade seeing that you have dual 780 which will be perfect for surround 1440p.

IMO when gaming with 1080p and AA I still see a few jaggies while in 1440p the jaggies are decreased and further things looked more clear. In windows, text and pictures looked better too. The korean monitors also can be OC'ed to 120hz so its like an upgrade from the VG248QE. The downside is some of them will come in with dead pixels and backlight bleeding but thankfully the one I got doesn't. Keep in mind triple 27' may be too wide but depends how far you sit. But overall I think it worthed to upgrade seeing that you have dual 780 which will be perfect for surround 1440p.

Do you really notice a difference or is it just little things like jaggies here and there? When you switched was it like night and day, or just small things here and there?

I really want to see if Fry's electronics 30 mins from my house has 1440p monitors so I can see the difference, but IDK if they do. 

Surround 1440p I'd have to play on medium-highish I think, I found some benchmarks awhile back that someone did, averages were like 30-50 fps on ultra w/ titan SLI, maybe after watercooling and some heavy overclocking I can hit ~60 on high settings on most AAA games.

source: http://www.overclock.net/t/1415441/7680x1440-benchmarks-plus-2-3-4-way-sli-gk110-scaling

Once I finish my build-log I'll probably be getting aftermarket bios's for my 780s to get rid of the voltage limiter, and try for some crazy overclocks. 

Also I do sit quite a ways from my monitors, I don't know how some people have their keyboard like inbetween the monitors and sit like 10 inches away, you can't even see your entire peripheral vision like that >.< 

Quality sorta bad but you can see still.

aJIwJUT.jpg?1?6733

Do you really notice a difference or is it just little things like jaggies here and there? When you switched was it like night and day, or just small things here and there?

I really want to see if Fry's electronics 30 mins from my house has 1440p monitors so I can see the difference, but IDK if they do. 

Surround 1440p I'd have to play on medium-highish I think, I found some benchmarks awhile back that someone did, averages were like 30-50 fps on ultra w/ titan SLI, maybe after watercooling and some heavy overclocking I can hit ~60 on high settings on most AAA games.

source: http://www.overclock.net/t/1415441/7680x1440-benchmarks-plus-2-3-4-way-sli-gk110-scaling

Once I finish my build-log I'll probably be getting aftermarket bios's for my 780s to get rid of the voltage limiter, and try for some crazy overclocks. 

Also I do sit quite a ways from my monitors, I don't know how some people have their keyboard like inbetween the monitors and sit like 10 inches away, you can't even see your entire peripheral vision like that >.< 

Quality sorta bad but you can see still.

Thats quite a setup you got there :o. When I switched the first thing that I noticed is the PLS colour. the colour are deeper and less washed out than the VG248QE. When I played Far Cry 3 and Tomb Raider, games I think has most intense graphics, I noticed that you can see the details of the texture better than 1080p. The jaggies I mentioned was decreased but you can still see some here and there, depends on what AA you use. So if you think the jaggies will be gone, I don't think so as it is only a couple of pixels more from 1080p, compared to 4K where it is double and maybe jaggies will be gone then. So overall a few couple of improvements like the colour and more pixels impresses me more enough that I think the upgrade is worthed for me.

I really recommend you to stop by Fry's and take a look at the monitor there. You can see it and judge it with your own eyes. What I did is I went to my local computer store (CanadaComputers here for me) and opened youtube, then search 1440p test video. Don't forget to set the quality to 1440p and see what you think. Maybe surf the forum while youre there and see how the text looks.

and YES. watercool those GPUs and unlock the voltages. Thats what I did with my 670s and since I only have 2 GB of vram, I also OC'ed the memory so it would be less of a bottleneck for me :). Was thinking of upgrading to 290s but them miners just wiped all of them away, also the prices has been raised so thats a turn off. And look up the videos TekSyndicate did on triple 1440p monitor as they have dual 780 running 3 1440p.

Thats quite a setup you got there :o. When I switched the first thing that I noticed is the PLS colour. the colour are deeper and less washed out than the VG248QE. When I played Far Cry 3 and Tomb Raider, games I think has most intense graphics, I noticed that you can see the details of the texture better than 1080p. The jaggies I mentioned was decreased but you can still see some here and there, depends on what AA you use. So if you think the jaggies will be gone, I don't think so as it is only a couple of pixels more from 1080p, compared to 4K where it is double and maybe jaggies will be gone then. So overall a few couple of improvements like the colour and more pixels impresses me more enough that I think the upgrade is worthed for me.

I really recommend you to stop by Fry's and take a look at the monitor there. You can see it and judge it with your own eyes. What I did is I went to my local computer store (CanadaComputers here for me) and opened youtube, then search 1440p test video. Don't forget to set the quality to 1440p and see what you think. Maybe surf the forum while youre there and see how the text looks.

and YES. watercool those GPUs and unlock the voltages. Thats what I did with my 670s and since I only have 2 GB of vram, I also OC'ed the memory so it would be less of a bottleneck for me :). Was thinking of upgrading to 290s but them miners just wiped all of them away, also the prices has been raised so thats a turn off. And look up the videos TekSyndicate did on triple 1440p monitor as they have dual 780 running 3 1440p.

Alright, I'll add you too :D

I want to see if I can get up around ~1450 mhz core if not more if I can, I've managed around ~1280 with the voltage lock maxed out, also I'll be ocing the 3930k to 5ghz once I finish the watercooling, I think I'll have enough money from christmas+ parents paying me some money they owe me to hopefully finish it, and maybe I'll have enough extra that I can sell my vg248qe's and buy 3 1440p :)

do you do any gaming on this, if so what are you using to power it and what kind of performance are you getting? 

I have the same monitor (except glossy) and I game on mine.  I have it overclocked to 110hz and I max settings without any problem.  I'm running SLI 780ti's with a mild overclock though....I haven't noticed any input lag and the motion is very good compared to my old 60hz.  I would have liked a 144hz lightboost monitor but matte finish was a deal-breaker for me.

Not yet because I need to patch my video card's driver to do so. After I get my 780 and have the Nvidia drivers installed I'm going to attempt a 85Hz overclock. 

You should easily be able to get to 96hz, 110 is reachable for most of these panels.  120hz often gets scanlines in at least some games.  Mine will go to 120hz in most games, but I noticed with the high-res pack in Skyrim that I was getting scanlines so I backed down to 110hz since I didn't want to have to change refresh rate based on what game I'm playing and I don't care about being a 24 frame multiple because I won't be watching movies on this.

As the owner of a monitor with a cheap crappy stand, I thinki it matters.

The stand is crappy but it isn't that big of a deal.  As long as your desk is stable and sturdy you won't even notice.  If you're table or surface is wobbly then it's going to suck a lot.  You can get a new stand for like $30 on ebay and replacing it isn't that hard...