How to tell if AIO cooler runs out of liquid?

Go to solution Solved by Tim Drake,

But how can you tell if the water runs out? Since Corsair liquid cooler have invisible tube so you can't really see what is inside.

Temps will start increasing until eventually it's noticable enough to ask Corsair and then they probably tell you to RMA as liquid is running out.

How to tell if AIO cooler runs out of liquid? I currently have Corsair H110 and i know is design to last between 3 to 5 years at best, so if that time come i want to replace it immediately before it's going to cause harm to my CPU. I really appreciate all the help guys! 

It doesn't run out of coolant. If it does (somehow), you should RMA it.

It doesn't run out of coolant. If it does (somehow), you should RMA it.

So you saying Corsair liquid cooler runs life time? I thought it design last at best 5 year.

it has leaks

what do you think? a corsair fairy will magically come to your house and remove all the liquid?

As a water cooler runs, the liquid over time does evaporate.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

how? it's in a closed loop

But how can you tell if the water runs out? Since Corsair liquid cooler have invisible tube so you can't really see what is inside.

Temps will start increasing until eventually it's noticable enough to ask Corsair and then they probably tell you to RMA as liquid is running out.

how? it's in a closed loop

Forget what I said.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Better hope your still in warranty.

It takes a long time though for the water to run out.

I already register my warranty since the first day i purchase it one, but the question how can you tell if the water inside runs out? Man i hope they put some type of visible tube so you can see the water inside. 

My guess would be that temperatures will rise then your PC start shutting down to save the CPU.  

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

Alright

Forget what I said.

lol, if it's in a closed loop there's nowhere for it to evaporate to.... You had me confused there. 

It won't run out of liquid unless it leaks. The AIO can get less effective as time goes on though, as the liquid will sort of 'gunk up'. The pump will also wear down eventually, and may break. 

The coolers should probably be replaced every few years if you have them running for a long time. 

Thanks for the help guys! I never thought i would receive much of replies, but thanks a lot anyway. 

The water DOES evaporate through the tubing, but at a really slow rate. My old h50 had lost so much liquid that you could hear the air bubbles in it when you started it. 

And this would be the best way to tell if it's starting to run dry. But that cooler is 4-5 years old, so you have nothing to worry about for a long time .)

When in doubt: C4

lol, if it's in a closed loop there's nowhere for it to evaporate to.... You had me confused there. 

coolant can evaporate through the tubes because they cannot stop evaporation 100%. however it should take the aio many years before this tiny bit of evaporation gets critical

wow... pretty empty here...

coolant can evaporate through the tubes because they cannot stop evaporation 100%. however it should take the aio many years before this tiny bit of evaporation gets critical

How can they not stop evaporation 100%, if the water cannot penetrate through them in the loop cycle... 

The main point is unless your H110 lasts way longer than its expected time, I doubt you will ever get to that point.

Aios are sealed to prevent this from happening and from what I know, it will take a LOT longer than 5 years to lose liquid unless a leak is formed.

How can they not stop evaporation 100%, if the water cannot penetrate through them in the loop cycle... 

it is nothing they can change. it is not glass, it is not metall and it is not solid plastic. it is bendable, elastic, rubber that is not made in a way that 100 years usage are guaranteed. rubber gets dry and gets little tiny cracks through wich liquid can evaporate over time.

just rma if it doesn't work anymore

wow... pretty empty here...

• 2 years later...
On 7/18/2015 at 8:00 PM, Bloodyvalley said:

it has leaks

what do you think? a corsair fairy will magically come to your house and remove all the liquid?

??? corsair fairy

On 7/18/2015 at 9:30 AM, Bloodyvalley said:

it has leaks

It doesn't mean it is leaking. Basically what happens is over time a very small amount of the liquid permeates into the tubing, this liquid now much closer to open air then evaporates. So nothing is actually leaking or dripping in to your system, it is just overtime this very slow process ends up emptying the liquid from a closed loop. The same thing happens in a custom loop and is why you have a reservoir, but as these systems are much less air-tight than a CLC cooler, it happens at a faster rate.

So yes, the coolant does "magically" disappear over time.