vSync! Yes or No - Whats your opinion?

Have a great day...You ever wanna show any proof to anything you post let me know.. :P  

Lol, the proof is the technological capability of the hardware and feature set   ;)

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

I can't stand playing with Vsync. Lag is horrible. I never notice screen tearing. 

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

play a game like csgo (on a very high frame rate) sure vsynce makes it look more cinematic and overall more smooth but mouse lag in that game is unacceptable. For games like skyrim and fallout vsync doesn't bother me too much because it doesn't really affect gameplay, even though I turn it off anyway.

vSync, all of my yes!

I hate screen tearing so much. Just seeing those split frames everywhere, gah. Some of you must have some fucking super human senses going on to be able detect a few milliseconds of lag but then not notice screen tearing.

Can anyone link me to an article or tests that someone has conducted about vSync introducing input lag and how much? 

vSync, all of my yes!

I hate screen tearing so much. Just seeing those split frames everywhere, gah. Some of you must have some fucking super human senses going on to be able detect a few milliseconds of lag but then not notice screen tearing.

Can anyone link me to an article or tests that someone has conducted about vSync introducing input lag and how much? 

http://www.tweakguides.com/Graphics_1.html

Everything you need to know about frame rates, v sync etc. Its a large article but worth the read.

EDIT: for a quicker read, in the drop down box read the page on frame rates then read the page on v sycn.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

mr moose, on 30 Jul 2013 - 7:55 PM, said:

http://www.tweakguides.com/Graphics_1.html

Everything you need to know about frame rates, v sync etc. Its a large article but worth the read.

All I got from that was "it may introduce input lag" which I already knew. Unless I missed something they didn't have any visual tests or timing tests, which is what I was asking for.

I had an idea, not sure how well it works but I assume that when you turn v-sync on it would also introduce said input lag the the Steam/Origin overlay. I used the following site:

http://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime/index.php

I repeated the test twice (10 times) under each condition, desktop, in-game vsync on/off.

Average on the desktop - 213ms.

Average in CS:S with vsync off - 228ms

Average in CS:S with vsync on - 221ms

Average in BF3 with vsync off - 231ms

Average in BF3 with vsync on - 210ms

Of course you have to factor in human error as well, it would be impossible for every test to have the exact same click time due to the randomness of the "Human Benchmark" anyway, I take it all with a grain of salt. I've been playing FPS games for years and have always used vsync, screen tearing completely ruins the experience for me and I have never noticed any lag with it on.

All I got from that was "it may introduce input lag" which I already knew. Unless I missed something they didn't have any visual tests or timing tests, which is what I was asking for.

I had an idea, not sure how well it works but I assume that when you turn v-sync on it would also introduce said input lag the the Steam/Origin overlay. I used the following site:

http://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime/index.php

I repeated the test twice (10 times) under each condition, desktop, in-game vsync on/off.

Average on the desktop - 213ms.

Average in CS:S with vsync off - 228ms

Average in CS:S with vsync on - 221ms

Average in BF3 with vsync off - 231ms

Average in BF3 with vsync on - 210ms

Of course you have to factor in human error as well, it would be impossible for every test to have the exact same click time due to the randomness of the "Human Benchmark" anyway, I take it all with a grain of salt. I've been playing FPS games for years and have always used vsync, screen tearing completely ruins the experience for me and I have never noticed any lag with it on.

Sorry, when you said article or test I thought you'd meant either an article or a test.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Sorry, when you said article or test I thought you'd meant either an article or a test.

I was referring to an article on the negative effects of vsync. Sorry if I worded it poorly, just a misunderstanding. :P

I was referring to an article on the negative effects of vsync. Sorry if I worded it poorly, just a misunderstanding. :P

I might be wrong here, I haven't gone much further than the superficial frame rates and what v sync does, however I believe the input lag and stutteryness of the game will be noticed more by people who have graphics cards with less ram. Because the vsync holts the next frame in the primary or secondary buffers of the video card until the monitor is ready for a new frame and consequently if you have less ram then the card cannot prepare the next frame as it has no buffer to store it in. That is why some people say the vsync will drop your frame rate to half of the refresh rate (semi true). However if you card has more ram then it can continue to process the next frame regardless of what stage the monitor is up to because it has somewere to store that frame. It is a bit like running multiple monitors, the less ram you have the slower it gets. When this happens it is like running the game with low FPS, because the card is struggling and that is when you get issues with lag as you would if you were running a low end card.

EDIT: I rushed this response let me know if something is wrong.

I might be wrong here, I haven't gone much further than the superficial frame rates and what v sync does, however I believe the input lag and stutteryness of the game will be noticed more by people who have graphics cards with less ram. Because the vsync holts the next frame in the primary or secondary buffers of the video card until the monitor is ready for a new frame and consequently if you have less ram then the card cannot prepare the next frame as it has no buffer to store it in. That is why some people say the vsync will drop your frame rate to half of the refresh rate (semi true). However if you card has more ram then it can continue to process the next frame regardless of what stage the monitor is up to because it has somewere to store that frame. It is a bit like running multiple monitors, the less ram you have the slower it gets. When this happens it is like running the game with low FPS, because the card is struggling and that is when you get issues with lag as you would if you were running a low end card.

EDIT: I rushed this response let me know if something is wrong.

I haven't done too much research on the subject matter either but that's quite the hypothesis you have there. It seems logically sound and would explain some of the complaints.

All I know is that v-sync has little to no effect on my enjoyment within the game whereas screen tearing does, so the choice is obvious for me. :)

I have to use V-YSNC otherwise the space time continuum tears.

I turned off vsync once...  I ended up going through puberty twice :blink:

I don't use it because most of my games on my PC don't go much higher then 60 FPS

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

No I don't because most of the times I try to tweak the setting to have both a playable framerate but also bump up the settings as much as I can. I've got an 8760 [aka 7770] in my system so no addaptive vsync for me :P

On without a doubt.

Why would you build a rig to make everything look as good as it possibly could whilst going over the refresh rate of your monitor, then throw all the good looks away over a few milliseconds?

If you are getting killed in FPS games, it's not those milliseconds doing it :P

If your games generally drop blow 60fps then don't use vsync, it will lag.

Only use it if you have minimum fps of >60.

Use adaptive vsync instead, if you want some sort of vsync.

In most cases your better with it off.

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

I only use it on certain games in order to get rid of screen tearing. I use it on bf3 as I used to get pretty bad screen tearing, got around the input lag by limiting my frame rate to 59.

I actually usually use VSync as I cannot stand screen tearing. That said, I'm not a big competitive games guy, and the one game I am competitive at, Super Hexagon (about 200th in the world) I always keep it off as the input lag makes the game virtually impossible.

Check out my video work at youtube.com/SuperUserTech

Acer Aspire 5750G - i5-2410m | 8GB 1333Mhz RAM | 500GB 5400RPM HDD | Nvidia GT540m

2xBenQ EW2440L | Sennheiser HD600 | Corsair Vengeance K65 | Corsair Vengeance M65 | Panasonic Lumix G7 | Panasonic 20mm F1.7

Screen tearing is totally unbearable for me; it destroys the experience.  I see no point in pushing high-quality graphics if the image constantly gets cut across the middle.  VSync stays on for me.

I've never noticed any input delay, probably because I don't play competitively and I've always used VSync.

I've tried Adaptive VSync, but bad tearing still happens.  VSync sometimes drops the framerate to like 59.5, which causes no problems normally, but with Adaptive enabled that causes VSync to toggle off, giving you a nasty tear that scrolls down the screen.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

If your playing rpgs or something non competitive and can push at least the refresh rate of your monitor turn it on. Otherwise leave it off as you have more ill effects.

Also if tour only getting 20fps turn down your settings as to me that would be a way worse experience than slightly worse graphics but 60fps+.

I usually prefer keeping Vsync on just so my GPU isn't running at 100% load when I don't need it to, because it helps keep the fan noise down.. 

Seeing as how I don't compete professionally in any game, I don't think a tiny bit of input lag is a problem for me. I maintain a +2/1 KDR in most online FPS games, so I'm perfectly happy with that.

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

I have a really cheap monitor, it is supposedly 60, but if I get to about 75 I witness some amazingly terrible screen tearing, I mean you see a huge line down the center of the screen and the images don't even come close to lining up, so I need vsync.

Intel 3570K - MSI GTX 660Ti 3GB OC Edition - 16GB Corsair LP RAM - ASRock Extreme4 Motherboard - Corsair HX850 - Adata Premier Pro SP900 120GB SSD with Windows 7 - Seagate Barracuda 1TD HDD - Seagate Barracuda 500GB HDD - Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler - CM Storm Enforcer Case - Macbook Pro Early 2011 Laptop

I have it off, I like to see high frames and I don't even know if i've ever experienced screen tearing if so it doesn't bother me.

Asus M5A99X Evo  - AMD FX-8350 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz - Corsair 120mm Quiet Edition Fans BenQ XL2411Z- EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked Fractal Design Define R4 - Corsair H100i - 2 TB 7200rpm HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 120GB - Corsair RM750w PSU - Logitech G502 Proteus Core - Corsair K70 RGB MX Red - Audio Technica M50x + Modmic 4.0 - LG 23EA63V x2

Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat

I find that it really depends on the kind of monitor you are using for you to notice screen tearing. I usually play with it off if I play games that are competitive, but if I'm playing a single player game I leave it on for the atmosphere.

-Corsair 750D - MSI Mpower Z77 - 3570k @ 4.21 -Corsair H60- 8GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 Mhz- Corsair RM850 - MSI 780 Lightning -256GB SSD- 2 1TB HDDs - LG 23' Flatron - Razer Death Adder - Ducky Shine 3 Cherry MX Blue - Logitech z506 5.1-

Project - Bloody Lightning

It depends on the game, I've played some games where the screen never tears noticeably regardless of whether my FPS is above or below 60, while others have visible tearing from just turning a little. My reaction time is pretty unimpressive anyway, so I don't notice any input lag.