Increasing FPS In Battlefield 4

byalexandr

Hey all, to celebrate my 1000th post, I am making this guide on how to increase FPS in the game Battlefield 4. First off, a few notes:

-This is mainly for AMD processors, specifically the FX series, but it will work and help the FPS on the Intel platform as well, as long as you have more than two cores.

- Hyperthreaded dual core CPUs won't necessarily count as a quad core in this, but it's worth a try.

-This won't make your crappy PC that does 20 FPS much better.

Secondly, a few things about BF4.

This game relies a lot on your CPU, as well as your GPU. Multi core processors are extremely useful in this particular game. I am not saying that multi core processors help in other games, though. This guide is for this game, and this game only. Another thing is, SSD performance matters as well, though not as much. The loading time for the game is one thing, but with maps this big, it helps to have an SSD to keep up with, say, if you're flying a jet (although an SSD does not necessarily increase FPS, it does increase loading speed and is easily able to keep up with the CPU and GPU in feeding information).

So let's get started.

First thing to do, as with any game, is overclock your hardware. Run a good overclock, especially on your CPU. GPU overclocks matter as well, but CPU overclocks will really help performance in BF4. Make sure your overclock is stable and does not cause any artifacting. For my FX 6300, 4.2GHz was a very good overclock and easily gave me 5-10 FPS increases.

Second thing is to unpark your CPU cores. What this does is unlock the game's ability to use multiple cores in the game on a Windows level. This step only applies to Windows 7, as Windows 8.1 has core parking already disabled. Use this link to get started: http://www.overclock.net/t/1439672/want-to-increase-bf4-frames-unpark-your-cores

The third thing is enable all of your cores to be used on the BF4 level, now that your cores are unparked on the Windows level. This is done as following:

1. Go to My Documents.

2. Open the Battlefield 4 folder.

3. Open the settings folder.

4. In the settings folder there is a file called PROFSAVE_profile.

5. Open the file with Notepad or Wordpad.

6. You will see a list of different GstRender or GstInput, etc. Find the lines 'GstRender.TextureQuality x' and 'GstRender.TransparentShadows x'. x represents the number there, it will vary depending on your graphical settings.

7. Between these two lines, input the following, except with the x being the number you chose from the guide below: GstRender.MaxProcessorCount x

Now what does this do? By default, BF4 only utilizes one core. This hinders FPS, especially when your processor is capable of much more. What do I put in for 'x', you're asking? Well:

If you have a dual core CPU, set it to 2.

If you have a quad core CPU, set it to 3 or 4. Setting it to 4 will enable BF4 to use ALL four cores and will limit performance in other tasks you are running at the same time.

If you have a six core CPU, set it to 4. Although BF4 can utilize up to six cores, it is better to leave it at 4, unless you are DEDICATED to FPS. Then you can set it to 6, although this won't improve much.

Lastly, if you have an eight or more core CPU, set it to 6. Again, BF4 only utilizes up to six CPU cores, and enabling more is not going to further improve FPS.

So that takes care of the settings outside of the game. Once we're inside of the game, your FPS should increase dramatically. If not, your CPU just sucks or your GPU just sucks. But the FPS madness doesn't stop there. Just by following these steps, I was able to increase my FPS on a 64 player Golmud Railway server with the settings maxed out to an average of 100-120 FPS, originally averaging 70-80 FPS with my GTX 760. I know this seems like a lie, but it is true, and in my particular case it dramatically increased my performance. Decreasing post-processing effects also increases the FPS, as well as limiting motion blur and turning down lighting effect quality. This doesn't necessarily make the game look less pretty, but it will give you a few more FPS.

Lastly, and probably the first thing you should do, is make sure you have the latest drivers, the latest updates, etc. If you have GeForce Experience, you can optimize the game settings for this game and your particular GPU. Sadly AMD does not have software similar to this.

Let me know if this was any help to you all, specifically the AMD troopers (keep on pushin'!). I know this may seem irrelevant on the Intel platform, but it's still worth a try. Thanks a lot guys, and I am glad I stayed with this forum and that I am finally at 1000 posts!

Good guide besides "GstRender.MaxProcessorCount x" as it forces the game locked at the default settings thus you think you have the game on ultra but you don't.

Good guide besides "GstRender.MaxProcessorCount x" as it forces the game locked at the default settings thus you think you have the game on ultra but you don't.

Can confirm, I had max thread count or processor count or something like that at 8, and it definitely downgrades the lightning & a few other qualities in the game.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Don't put x, put the number you chose. I saw a dramatic frame increase.

Can confirm, I had max thread count or processor count or something like that at 8, and it definitely downgrades the lightning & a few other qualities in the game.

May I ask how? Your CPU is hyperthreaded quad core, so I would suggest setting it to 4.

I don't see how this affects graphical quality. It only allows the game to utilize more than one core, and doesn't change any graphical settings.

I don't see how this affects graphical quality. It only allows the game to utilize more than one core, and doesn't change any graphical settings.

Don't put x, put the number you chose. I saw a dramatic frame increase.

Yes, i'm not stupid.

If you try to change resolution or any other setting, literally nothing changes. It locks at Auto which is generally Medium quality and cannot be changed.

Although it does help FPS which is what is annoying but it locks your graphics quality so is better to leave off.

Also BF4 utilizes all of my cores already. 80%+ usage on all cores.

Yes, i'm not stupid.

If you try to change resolution or any other setting, literally nothing changes. It locks at Auto which is generally Medium quality and cannot be changed.

Although it does help FPS which is what is annoying but it locks your graphics quality so is better to leave off.

Also BF4 utilizes all of my cores already. 80%+ usage on all cores.

That's not the case for me, I am able to change all of my settings easily. Maybe you should repair the game in Origin?

That's not the case for me, I am able to change all of my settings easily. Maybe you should repair the game in Origin?

No you aren't listening.

The settings will SHOW to be changing but in the background, everything is locked at Auto.

No you aren't listening.

The settings will SHOW to be changing but in the background, everything is locked at Auto.

Yeah, I just figured that out. Any reason to why this happens? Is it a bug?

No you aren't listening.

An update.

If you see here: http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/forum/threadview/2979150493817431277/

This command does improve your FPS, and you can technically still change your settings. So say you launch the game with this command. You have the command enabled and the FPS boost. But if you change the graphical settings, it disables it. Once you restart the game, it enables it and the graphical changes you made in the previous launch. So in turn, changes the settings disables it, as the it only works once per game. So what you do i enable the command in the PROFSAVE_profile file, then launch the game, change the settings to your liking, then restart the game. A minor bug, but at least you are able to change the settings. Hope this clarifies.

An update.

If you see here: http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/forum/threadview/2979150493817431277/

This command does improve your FPS, and you can technically still change your settings. So say you launch the game with this command. You have the command enabled and the FPS boost. But if you change the graphical settings, it disables it. Once you restart the game, it enables it and the graphical changes you made in the previous launch. So in turn, changes the settings disables it, as the it only works once per game. So what you do i enable the command in the PROFSAVE_profile file, then launch the game, change the settings to your liking, then restart the game. A minor bug, but at least you are able to change the settings. Hope this clarifies.

I will try this whenever my Battlefield 4 is repaired.

It seems the code disallows you to change to a resolution above native (or so i'm guessing) as I can't set it any higher than my 1080p native.

DSR doesn't work then D:

Okay now to max out settings and test the code again.

P.S Does resolution scale work?

p.s.s I told you that it was broken: http://battlelog.medalofhonor.com/bf4/forum/threadview/2979150493927217379/

It seems the code disallows you to change to a resolution above native (or so i'm guessing) as I can't set it any higher than my 1080p native.

DSR doesn't work then D:

Okay now to max out settings and test the code again.

P.S Does resolution scale work?

p.s.s I told you that it was broken: http://battlelog.medalofhonor.com/bf4/forum/threadview/2979150493927217379/

Hmm...

• 1 month later...

This helped me soooooo much thankyou!

CPU: AMD FX-6300     COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO    MOBO: ASUS M5A97 R2.0    RAM: Team Vulcan 8Gb (4Gb x 2) , G-Skill Sniper (4Gb x 2)    PSU: Rosewill HIVE-750w    GPU: ASUS HD 7790 2Gb OC    CASE: NZXT Phantom 410    STORAGE: WD Black 1Tb , Intel 530 120Gb     AUDIO: HyperX Cloud , Sennheiser HD 518 , Audio Technica ATH-M30 , Sennheiser MM30G , Yamaha RX-V361 , Pioneer SP-BS22     PHONE: Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge     PERIPHERALS: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Classic , Logitech g502 ( Thanks Syntaxvgm <3 )

This helped me soooooo much thankyou!

Haha thanks, just make sure you restart the game if you change any settings.

Haha thanks, just make sure you restart the game if you change any settings.

yeah for awhile now my fps just went to crap and was in the 50fps range for some reason and i couldn't figure it out...now i'm in the 110+ range! :)

CPU: AMD FX-6300     COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO    MOBO: ASUS M5A97 R2.0    RAM: Team Vulcan 8Gb (4Gb x 2) , G-Skill Sniper (4Gb x 2)    PSU: Rosewill HIVE-750w    GPU: ASUS HD 7790 2Gb OC    CASE: NZXT Phantom 410    STORAGE: WD Black 1Tb , Intel 530 120Gb     AUDIO: HyperX Cloud , Sennheiser HD 518 , Audio Technica ATH-M30 , Sennheiser MM30G , Yamaha RX-V361 , Pioneer SP-BS22     PHONE: Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge     PERIPHERALS: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Classic , Logitech g502 ( Thanks Syntaxvgm <3 )

Yesh this certainly didn't help me. All it did was when I sent the affinity it tanked my entire game into an unplayable mess am talking about 4-7 FPS. When back to 6 it made the FPS go back up to normal.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

My shitty i5 760 overclocked to 3.8Ghz still can't get 144FPS @ 1440P with my 980Ti, not matter how I manage the settings. Only in TEST RANGE i get a solid locked 144FPS.

A 980Ti can easily get 144FPS @ 1440P Ultra Settings (not sure about 4X AA, but 2X AA is good for 1440P).

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

My shitty i5 760 overclocked to 3.8Ghz still can't get 144FPS @ 1440P with my 980Ti, not matter how I manage the settings. Only in TEST RANGE i get a solid locked 144FPS.

A 980Ti can easily get 144FPS @ 1440P Ultra Settings (not sure about 4X AA, but 2X AA is good for 1440P).

Maybe you should finally upgrade your CPU?

Maybe you should finally upgrade your CPU?

Yeah... maybe.. to a 6700K :D

But other then Battlefield 4 and Hardline, not a lot of CPU heavy games out there. I still get 80FPS on full 64 player servers and 110-120 on empty servers with less then 10 players.

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

Yeah... maybe.. to a 6700K :D

But other then Battlefield 4 and Hardline, not a lot of CPU heavy games out there. I still get 80FPS on full 64 player servers and 110-120 on empty servers with less then 10 players.

Well if it's the player count that's messing up your frame rates then it's definitely time to upgrade. 6700K sounds good to me, maybe even a 5820K since you already have such a nice GPU.

Well if it's the player count that's messing up your frame rates then it's definitely time to upgrade. 6700K sounds good to me, maybe even a 5820K since you already have such a nice GPU.

Yeah but a 5820K is 1 year old, that is like buying a Samsung S5  :P

I hope Intel releases the new Skylake-E cpu's soon, otherwise I will build a new PC In october when all stuff for normal Skylake have been released.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

Yeah but a 5820K is 1 year old, that is like buying a Samsung S5  :P

I hope Intel releases the new Skylake-E cpu's soon, otherwise I will build a new PC In october when all stuff for normal Skylake have been released.

Well IMO the S5 was better than the S6.