Gothic 1 access violation error (HELP)

ben 9902

So I bought the Gothic trilogy today and went to play gothic 1 and got the access violation error. I've tried disabling steam overlay, I've tried running it in compatibility mode and all to no avail :(

Are there any other fixes?

Here's the screenshot

http://m.imgur.com/gallery/lk6G3Iq

Steam

I've found this on one of Steam discussion topics. Apparently the SystemPack fixes a lot of issues with the game especially for Windows 7/8. Worth a shot I guess but I would back up the game as is so you don't have to re-download it if it doesn't work.

Here is a fix to the problem:

First, install Gothic ½ — SystemPack:

http://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/threads/1340357-Release-Gothic-%C2%BD-%C2%97-SystemPack-%28ENG-DEU%29

After that install Fullscreen border fix (even if you don't have Windows 8):

http://community.pcgamingwiki.com/files/file/4-gothic-and-gothic-ii-windows-8-fixes/

Finally go to \Gothic\system directory, open Gothic.ini and change "zStartupWindowed=0" value to "zStartupWindowed=1". Enter your screen resolution to "zVidResFullscreenX" and "zVidResFullscreenY" and change "zVidResFullscreenBPP=16" to "zVidResFullscreenBPP=32".

If your resolution is 1920x1080, it should look like this:

"zVidResFullscreenX=1920

zVidResFullscreenY=1080

zVidResFullscreenBPP=32

; ... used resolution

zStartupWindowed=1"

After that start the game and it should work.

I've found this on one of Steam discussion topics. Apparently the SystemPack fixes a lot of issues with the game especially for Windows 7/8. Worth a shot I guess but I would back up the game as is so you don't have to re-download it if it doesn't work.

Just downloaded that now I'm getting another error, this time it's saying the gothic 1.08k_mod has attempted to execute a privileged intruction?? Wtf

Just downloaded that now I'm getting another error, this time it's saying the gothic 1.08k_mod has attempted to execute a privileged intruction?? Wtf

Hmm... Have you tried running it as an Administrator?

( Right click the .exe file -> Run as Administrator OR Right click the .exe file -> Properties -> "Compatibility" tab -> Tick "Run this program as an administrator" and then Apply)

Hmm... Have you tried running it as an Administrator?

( Right click the .exe file -> Run as Administrator OR Right click the .exe file -> Properties -> "Compatibility" tab -> Tick "Run this program as an administrator" and then Apply)

Yep tried that, no luck either :(

I'm guessing you followed the "Installation info" bit on the Gothic ½ — SystemPack website, right?

Yeah dude, I guess I'm just gonna have to get a refund, thanks for your help though!

Yeah dude, I guess I'm just gonna have to get a refund, thanks for your help though!

It might be an issue with the Steam version in your case. You could always get your refund and try getting the games on GOG.

It might be an issue with the Steam version in your case. You could always get your refund and try getting the games on GOG.

yeah i think i'll do that :)