Modding FAQ - Common Mods

Reviews/Information on Modding Supplies or Components

This is going to be a more informal section I will be adding to every so often on different things based around modding, small projects or reviews.

Review of Addon Custom LED's

LED Rolled up.jpg

Image Provided by W-L

Review of Addon Custom's SMD 5050 LED strips

EL Lighting

EL Tape Title.jpg

Image Provided by Adafruit.com

Electroluminescent (EL) lighting is a very low profile tape, panel, or rope light that gives off a very Tron (movie) like even glow of light.

Spoiler

This was a small experiment I wanted to do and test out to have a different kind of lighting that gave off a very dim glow or light up effect without being overpowering or needing diffusers like LED strips. The main focus was possibility of using this on computer cases as exterior accent lighting due to the extremely slim profile of the EL tape or on everyday items to liven them up a bit.

To start, how it all works, electroluminescent (EL) lights work by passing a high voltage AC current through thin copper wires that make a phosphor coating glow/light up. Similarly for the flat tape or panels they work in the same fashion using a dielectric layer instead of wires to excite and light up the phosphor coating. The power for these units must be AC, so a small DC to AC inverter is used to power them similar to CCFL lights, some are even portable being able to use batteries to power the lights for hours. 

Inverter.JPG

Testing and Overview

I purchased couple lengths of this for testing, one tape section and two different lengths of EL rope, I had intentions of using the tape on my case as edge lighting around the bezel and since Christmas was approaching to use the rope lights around the home.

My first impressions of this was very promising as the lighting effect was exactly how I envisioned, it gave this really nice even glow without being overpowering or blinding, without bright spots like LED’s. However this was quickly soured by the noise I heard from the inverter.

EL Tape Lite.JPGEL Tape Lite 2.JPG

EL Rope Lite.JPGEL Rope Lite 2.JPG

The power draw of the tape and lights are extremely low with:

100CM EL tape

~0.50W at 12V and 0.042Amps

1M long EL rope

~0.41W at 12V and 0.034Amps

3M long EL rope on the 12V inverter and battery inverter

~0.52W at 12V and 0.043mps

~0.58W at 3V and 0.193amps

EL Tape Dimensions.JPGEL Rope Dimensions.JPG

The EL Tape is made from a very stiff but bendable plastic that has a width of 15mm (~9/32”) and is 0.25mm (~0.0010”) thick, where the EL rope is more of a clear PVC type insulation similar to regular hookup wire and has a diameter of 2mm (~5/64”).

Inverter Issues:

Before I purchased theses I had heard many users complain about inverter noise due to the fact they operate from between 90-180V AC, but with a frequency of 100-5000Hz which is right within the audible range creating coil whine. If any of you have experienced coil whine from components you know exactly how annoying it is. This was very unfortunate to have occur but hearing from Cable Mod who has also looked into EL lighting, this was not a new thing, where most of the inverters they tested were deemed unusable due to the noise.

Here’s an example of how it approx. sounds, set the frequency to 2800Hz and lower your volume:

http://onlinetonegenerator.com/

Even though the inverter is fully potted and sealed the only other way I found to lessen the whining was to seal it in a container lined with acoustic foam which was not ideal. As of right now while EL lights give a great lighting effect the noise produced by the inverter makes them unusable for my plans on edge lighting my PC case’s bezel.

Inverter Potted.JPG

All Images Above Provided by W-L

This may be a bit unfortunate due to how promising it was at first but unless a better designed inverter or method of isolating the noise is done, it’s not very suitable for PC use. However other uses such as costumes and dashboard lighting in a cars where there inverter can be hidden away in a pocket, or panel in or outside of the cabin of the car may be more suitable, since the coil whine will be dampened and drowned out from surrounding noise.

CableMod Sleeving Review

CableMod Title.png

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/582931-cablemods-new-pet-sleeving-lots-of-photos/#comment-7607865

Thanks for this write up. Will help people like me a lots. Bookmarked. One question where can i buy plasti dip in the UK?

Thanks for this write up. Will help people like me a lots. Bookmarked. One question where can i buy plasti dip in the UK?

Amazon UK carries it but other places like local automotive parts/paint stores should carry plasti-dip. In North America some hardware stores also stock plasti-dip.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Plastidip-Plastic-Rubber-Paint-400ml/dp/B0006SU3QW

Loved the info so far. Could you show how to paint a PSU?

Loved the info so far. Could you show how to paint a PSU?

Welcome to the Forums!

That could be added on  :)

So i want to paint my Asus Maximus Formula z97 Armor White with red accents. something like this. 

350x700px-LL-ea244643_IMG_2316.jpegMaximus-VII-Formula_2D.jpg  

Would plasti dip be any good for this or would it make it hard to do the red accents. can you paint on plasti dip? 

What would be the best way to achieve a good finish. 

Thanks in advance. 

If you read the same things as others and say the same things they say, then you're perceived as intelligent.

I'm a bit more radical... Woz

So i want to paint my Asus Maximus Formula z97 Armor White with red accents. something like this. 

-PIC-

Would plasti dip be any good for this or would it make it hard to do the red accents. can you paint on plasti dip? 

What would be the best way to achieve a good finish. 

Thanks in advance. 

White plasti-dip on the entire armor is achievable but to add on those red accents to the recessed parts of the plastic is going to be difficult. While I have heard of others using spray paint over plasti-dip with no cracking, shrinking, or flaking issues I haven't tried it myself. The most difficult part would be trying to get nice crisp lines for the red accents and painting the SupremeFX and Maximus VII Formula logos perfectly.

From the images my guess is they used spray paint for the entire including the red accents, not to mention the white parts on the PCI-E locking tabs which I'm pretty sure is all spray paint.

Nice, guide!

This will help lots of people when modding, especially beginers (including me)

Hope you make one about making back plates :)

Processor : i7-6700k (stock speed)

Cooler : Hyper 212X

Motherboard: MSI Krait Gaming Z170

RAM : 4x4gb LPX Memory

Boot Device : Samsung 860 EVO

GPU : ZOTAC 1070 Extreme

PSU :Antec HCG-620M

Hope you make one about making back plates :)

it would be a bit hard to get diagrams or hole patterns for each specific card and mounting since there are so many and ones with different variations but there are businesses out there that make backplates to specific order if anyone is interested:

http://www.coldzero.eu/

it would be a bit hard to get diagrams or hole patterns for each specific card and mounting since there are so many and ones with different variations but there are businesses out there that make backplates to specific order if anyone is interested:

http://www.coldzero.eu/

Sadly it would be too expensive for its own good if I ship it to where I live :(

OH and how about GPU shroud painting? :)

Processor : i7-6700k (stock speed)

Cooler : Hyper 212X

Motherboard: MSI Krait Gaming Z170

RAM : 4x4gb LPX Memory

Boot Device : Samsung 860 EVO

GPU : ZOTAC 1070 Extreme

PSU :Antec HCG-620M

Sadly it would be too expensive for its own good if I ship it to where I live :(

OH and how about GPU shroud painting? :)

GPU shroud painting would probably fit in there somewhere down the line I'll add it to the list.

• 3 weeks later...

GPU shroud painting would probably fit in there somewhere down the line I'll add it to the list.

good work m8 you helped me out a lot :)

W-L

Anyone you know happen to remember a website or guide on a TF 5 tear down? I remember seeing one but can't find it, and I think there is a way to just remove the shroud but I can't remember.

I want to paint the red accents silver (I think I will have to test.)

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

W-L

Anyone you know happen to remember a website or guide on a TF 5 tear down? I remember seeing one but can't find it, and I think there is a way to just remove the shroud but I can't remember.

I want to paint the red accents silver (I think I will have to test.)

Do you have a model number they made so many of those hybrid type tablet/laptop I'm not sure which one is which theses days.

Do you have a model number they made so many of those hybrid type tablet/laptop I'm not sure which one is which theses days.

I was talking about the Twin Frozer 5 cooler sorry. Specifically for the msi gaming 980ti but the cooler connections should be the same no matter what.

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

I was talking about the Twin Frozer 5 cooler sorry. Specifically for the msi gaming 980ti but the cooler connections should be the same no matter what.

Hmm I don't think I've seen one before, here's an overview of what it looks like removed but the shroud on the cooler are held in place by screws just under the fans blades themselves, afterwards the red accent should be fairly easy to unscrew and remove from the main section:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1514085/official-nvidia-gtx-970-owners-club/3960

Hmm I don't think I've seen one before, here's an overview of what it looks like removed but the shroud on the cooler are held in place by screws just under the fans blades themselves, afterwards the red accent should be fairly easy to unscrew and remove from the main section:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1514085/official-nvidia-gtx-970-owners-club/3960

Thanks. I assume it will be the same process!

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

• 4 weeks later...

I LOVE THIS GUIDE!

Just found my new TechModsBible

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

I didn't want to make a whole thread about it, so maybe you could add it on here, but it seems most people go out and buy expensive panes of glass for their side panel mods when buying a cheap frame off amazon or similar is a much cheaper alternative. Frame sizes are even listed by the size of glass, so all you have to do is pick the size you want, and since it comes shipped in a frame breakage is very unlikley!

Just thought that I've never seen this suggustion and I was looking for weeks online to find the right glass supplier when all I needed was amazon!

I didn't want to make a whole thread about it, so maybe you could add it on here, but it seems most people go out and buy expensive panes of glass for their side panel mods when buying a cheap frame off amazon or similar is a much cheaper alternative. Frame sizes are even listed by the size of glass, so all you have to do is pick the size you want, and since it comes shipped in a frame breakage is very unlikley!

Just thought that I've never seen this suggustion and I was looking for weeks online to find the right glass supplier when all I needed was amazon!

Yeah I could mention that, having tempered glass would be great if it accidentally breaks but in most situations regular window glass is still very safe with the proper care. As for suppliers places like Amazon or ideally local glass shops are great for this since they can custom cut a glass to any dimension or shape you want.

EDIT:

Tempered glass is good for places that have small kids or say pets if they do impact the window unexpectedly so large shards of glass will not cut them.

Edited by W-L