New intel sandy bridge-e CPU 3910K

SSOB

http://nl.hardware.info/nieuws/36305/intel-brengt-nog-een-sandy-bridge-e-processor-uit

So intel decides to bring out another sandy bridge-e CPU for around 350 dollars... 

What do you think about this is this CPU released way too late or is it a smart move.

DIE pic :

intel-core-i7-3960x.jpg

So it 6 cores from intel for 350 dollars.. maybe this cpu is interesting after all!

Interested in Business and Technology

too late nobody is going to buy it 

if you have a 4770k not worth it if you have a 3820 not worth it if you have a 3570k and want x79 than you should wait for next gen

From a hardware standpoint I think this is awesome, the x79 platform and 2011 cpu's still perform amazingly and have a ton of life in them. This is going to allow for a ton more people who want the top of the line cpu family to be able to afford one, which is awesome in my opinion. From a business standpoint I think this is just Intel releasing shit that they did R&D for and never released since they weren't getting any competition from AMD. Although if Ivy Bridge-E doesn't blow peoples minds this chip is going to sell like fucking crazzzzzzzy.

Looks interesting, will probably overclock well, but i'll see what they bring out later this year.

hello

For anyone already with a SandyBridge-E platform, this is useless. UNLESS, they've gotten the 3820 because they wanted X79 features but couldn't afford the 3930k or something. Because the 3930k is around £440 so I'm guessing just over $500 over in the US. So a $350 hex-core is kinda awesome.

To the guy who said: 'not worth it, buy a 4770k'.... No. If you need/(want) 6 cores, for example, video editing, the 4770k is way behind. Plus, 3930Ks often hit 5GHz with ease. At least 4.8GHz stable is pretty safe to assume. I mean, I have a pretty bad chip and it'll still do 4.8 no problem.

Weird how a 4770k is only $10 dollars below this chip.

That makes me think that this chip wont be a very good performer when compared to a 3930k.

Like lower ips or whatever.

Very cool though.

My Rig: AMD FX-8350 @ 4.5 Ghz, Corsair H100i, Gigabyte gtx 770 4gb, 8 gb Patriot Viper 2133 mhz, Corsair C70 (Black), EVGA Supernova 750g Modular PSU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 motherboard, Asus next gen wifi card.

i cant believe i bought a 4770k and now they decide to release an affordable 6 core -_-

Will it have hyperthreading?

I can't read Dutch so an answer would be appreciated

144Hz goodness

i'm still going to upgrade to a 4770k.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

Oh look, a 6 core with TWO SOLDIERED OFF CORES.

No buy from me.

I didn't even notice that until you said it. It's sad how Intel just "damages" their products to get more money from them. From what I know AMD doesn't do that...

Will it have hyperthreading?

I can't read Dutch so an answer would be appreciated

I google translated the web page, ( http://www.google.com/translate?hl=en&ie=UTF8&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fnl.hardware.info%2Fnieuws%2F36305%2Fintel-brengt-nog-een-sandy-bridge-e-processor-uit ), and it said nothing about hyper threading, but considering that it is a i7 processor, i would automatically assume that it does have hyper threading, as i do not think that Intel has released a i7 without hyper threading.

PC : i7-3820 @ 4.3 GHz | Patriot Viper 3 Black Mamba 16 GB @ 2133MHz | Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI Windforce 3X | Gigabyte X79-UD5 | OCZ Vector 128 GB (Died) | WD Black 1TB |  | Asus Xonar DGX | Antch P280 | Asus PA238QR & NEC PA271w | LG 1440x900 Monitor | CM Storm Quickfire Pro (Cherry MX Brown) | Corsair M60 | Blue Snowball | Sennheiser HD 439 | IKEA Kitchen Table 

I didn't even notice that until you said it. It's sad how Intel just "damages" their products to get more money from them. From what I know AMD doesn't do that...

That's not what happens. They do that when process yields chips with one or two cores non functioning within their spec. Maybe this means the core does not work at all or it may mean it needs to much voltage or produces too much heat.

For the record, this happened very often on the Phenom II X2 and X3 chips. Bios settings could unlock the "locked" cores on some cpus that AMD deemed non-functioning. Also happened on the reference Radeon 6950 card where you could install 6970 BIOS and have access to extra steam processors.

too late nobody is going to buy it 

if you have a 4770k not worth it if you have a 3820 not worth it if you have a 3570k and want x79 than you should wait for next gen

I won't go ahead and say I'll buy it, but this processor does tickle my fancy.  The reason is because I bought 3820 and x79 mobo in anticipation of a 10 or more core Ivy-E.  It turns out that will never happen.  Since I am not going to get a 10+ core processor with Hyperthreading, I can now go the route of a cheaper 6 core.

But indeed, I may not ever do it as you say.  My 3820 overclocks to 4.8 GHz with ease.  I actually do have a use for more cores and speed (programmer with multi-gigabyte game data export jobs which can run simultaneously).  I wouldn't pay $600+ for a couple more cores, but at ~$300.. maybe. :)

Well well well, so my prediction was spot on, Intel giving more cores for less money ? wait a moment... oh yes that's right, it's what AMD has been doing for YEARS .
I've been saying forever that higher parallelism (more cores) is the future of X86 computing, the next-gen consoles are a great proof of this, both sporting 8 cores, and intel releasing this new affordable 6 core processors confirms it even further.
This is still fantastic news, an unlocked hexa core for 350 dollars is wonderful !

They took their sweet bloody time to release an affordable 6 core chip. If this had been on the market when ivy bridge first launched my purchasing decision would have been very different indeed. Lets wait for benchmarks to see what the overclocking headroom is actually like though.

|i5 3570k @4.4Ghz | Asus Maximus V Gene | 8gb Corsair XMS3 | 2 x MSI HD7970 OC @ 1175mhz | 512gb Crucial M4 | Corsair AX750 | Fractal Design Define Mini | Dell P2416D 

That's not what happens. They do that when process yields chips with one or two cores non functioning within their spec. Maybe this means the core does not work at all or it may mean it needs to much voltage or produces too much heat.

For the record, this happened very often on the Phenom II X2 and X3 chips. Bios settings could unlock the "locked" cores on some cpus that AMD deemed non-functioning. Also happened on the reference Radeon 6950 card where you could install 6970 BIOS and have access to extra steam processors.

Intel fuses off the extra cores so you cannot access them.  Where as AMD locks the cores down.

Specs: Core I7-2600K @ 4.5GHz @ 1.35V, 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Black 1600MHz CL9, Cooler Master Evo 212, MSI Z77 Mpower Motherboard, Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 Vapor-X @ 1000/1400, Cooler Master HAF 932 Blue Edition w/ 3 Cougar Hydraulic Bearing 120MM fans (2 up top 1 in the bottom) replaced side panel with a window, and rear fan with a Cougar Hydraulic Bearing 140MM, Cooler Master GX 650 80+ Bronze PSU, Samsung DVD-RW, Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD, Seagate 750GB SATA III 7200RPM

So whats the point of this? Are the maybe just trying to get rid of some 3930k's that didnt make it maybe? The reason I say this is Ivy-E will be here before the end of the year and will slot into X79.

Intel fuses off the extra cores so you cannot access them.  Where as AMD locks the cores down.

Starting with Bulldozer AMD has also started fusing off cores physically, to prevent core unlocking.

So whats the point of this? Are the maybe just trying to get rid of some 3930k's that didnt make it maybe? The reason I say this is Ivy-E will be here before the end of the year and will slot into X79.

Are you kidding ? a 3930K for 150$ less ? yes please !

What happened to the other 2 cores. Why doesn't intel just make it 8 core instead of 6.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

I think it's the replacement to the 3820.

Sort of the gateway to the Z79 chipset.

When the 8320 came out it was significantly cheaper than the current top of the line non E processor. (i7 2600k) And performed a little better than it.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/523?vs=287

That's my guess. That its the replacement to the 3820. releasing it before ivy-E comes out.

My Rig: AMD FX-8350 @ 4.5 Ghz, Corsair H100i, Gigabyte gtx 770 4gb, 8 gb Patriot Viper 2133 mhz, Corsair C70 (Black), EVGA Supernova 750g Modular PSU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 motherboard, Asus next gen wifi card.

This is awesome news really, six cores for $350 and it is unlocked. Win. They should have had this chip out a long long time ago....

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X