Will a switch slow down internet?

asedelax97

So I have my main router, a wap in my room, and a switch in with the wap. What I decided to do is:

Router in my room

Wap in the study

And switch in the study with the wap

Now, EVERYTHING is hooked straight into the switch. Routers wan goes to the switch, then the modem Goes to the switch, my computer Goes straight into the router because it's in my room and they are right next to each other. But my parents computer is plugged into the switch, printer in the switch, and wap is poe into the switch. Then, my computer was getting 35 down and 12 up which is usual. But my parents were only getting like 1 down and 3 up. Barely. With like a 80 ping. My ping was 25. So with that said, is the fact that my parents computer being plugged into the switch and not the router itself slowing down their internet?

Should be fine as long as the switch matches the speed of your router, or if it's faster.

amnerd  B) Linux enthusiast. 

• CPU: Intel i5 4690k @3.5ghz  Motherboard: MSI U3 Plus Z97 GPU: Radeon R9 270x 2gb OC HDD: WD Green 3tb SDDs: Samsung 120gb, Kingston V300 120gb Case: Fractal Design Define R5 PSU: Corsair V650 Fans: Corsair AF14 x4 CPU cooler: Hyper 212 EVO (Upgrading soon)     

If I understand correctly, you've put the burden of load balancing devices on the modem. If it's just a junky thing provided to you by your ISP, that's probably where some of your issues are coming from. So it's not necessarily the switch, but how you've set up your network.

CPU: i5 4670k • Cooler: Corsair H100i • Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPOWER • RAM: Crucial Ballistix Elite 2x 8GB • Storage: Samsung 840 250GB SSD, 2x WD Red 3TB • GPU: EVGA GTX 780 3GB • PSU: Corsair RM750W • Case: Corsair 750D • Mouse: Razer Naga 2012 (I actually use the thing for productivity/media buttons) • Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 w/ Browns - Green LED • Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27" 2560 x 1440, ASUS PB238Q 23" 1920x1080 • Lighting: 2m NZXT Sleeved Blue LED Strip • pcpartpicker.com/p/3cHfZ

in theory it shouldn't affect bandwith nor latency

perfect switch is just a dumb piece of hardware that just interconnects some wires and does nothing but that, now if it would be a router switch or a router wireless access point with switch, then that might introduce some latency, but never bandwitch limitations.

Although the input on your switch will be the absolute maximum for all aggregated outputs - so if you use heavily it on one PC the other connected PC might feel it as a slower bandwith connection as it is already being utilized by the first PC

but just putting a black box and splitting a couple of wires from it will not affect the already existing connection by itself.

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

Try having it as: Modem, Router connected to Modem and then connect the switch to the router.

And it would be a Gigabit switch, not Gigabyte.

gigabit*

I don't think gigabyte switches exist

They do, 10Gbps(1.25GBps) switches, they aren't cheap

They do, 10Gbps(1.25GBps) switches, they aren't cheap

Yeah, but that's 1.25GB/s, not 1GB/s

tumblr_n81u2pAWSL1r5rtx7o1_400.gif

gigabit*

I don't think gigabyte switches exist

Lol my bad

Adding a switch will not slow down the network in the slightest unless the switch is performing erratically.

Modem > Router > Switch > hosts   is how the internet should flow.

If the switch is from a reputable brand then you should see no noticible difference. Modern switches do their switching in the hardware in what are called ASICs. A good switch should induce less than 1ms of latency into a network.