Wireless

amunj
Go to solution Solved by SuperOwnJK,

I found a guide ( http://www.labnol.org/software/add-router-to-wireless-network/19716/). Is that guide good enough? And if someone could, I would prefer to have a YouTube guide.

Here is the guide! http://www.howtogeek.com/104469/how-to-extend-your-wi-fi-network-with-simple-access-points/

I think I found the link from Lifehacker and it sent me here. Hope you get along with it. If it does work for you, don't forget to select my post as the best answer! 

I want to get a new router in my house. So my question is:

Can I use my old router to increase the wireless signal?

If I can do it, how would I do it?

And if I can do it and make it work, I'm wondering if I connect my phone to the network will my phone automaticliy acces the router that is closest, or has the best signal. Or do I have to connect it manually? Or does the two routers require me to sign in to each one.

And do the two router have to be the same type like 802.11 AC and 802.11 N or can they be differente.

If you don't understand my question feel free to ask.

The reason to why I want to do this is because we have a basement that wont get that good signal.

As far as I know, they shouldn't have to be the same type. What is your old router? Unless it's at least wireless-N I wouldn't bother.

CPU: i5 4670k • Cooler: Corsair H100i • Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPOWER • RAM: Crucial Ballistix Elite 2x 8GB • Storage: Samsung 840 250GB SSD, 2x WD Red 3TB • GPU: EVGA GTX 780 3GB • PSU: Corsair RM750W • Case: Corsair 750D • Mouse: Razer Naga 2012 (I actually use the thing for productivity/media buttons) • Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 w/ Browns - Green LED • Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27" 2560 x 1440, ASUS PB238Q 23" 1920x1080 • Lighting: 2m NZXT Sleeved Blue LED Strip • pcpartpicker.com/p/3cHfZ

Some routers have a 'repeat' feature where it will connect to the base router, and extend the signal out. This doesn't increase speeds or anything. For example if the repeater router has a signal of 40% from the base router, it will only repeat the 40% speeds with 100% signal strength. Hope that makes sense to you.

What I've done at home is run a wire from my base router to another router. I've then turned off DHCP on the 2nd router so it doesn't issue IPs etc. This gives me 100% signal around the house with the best speeds possible as the 2nd router gets full speeds from the ethernet cable. I followed a guide on Lifehacker about it a while ago. Just drilled a whole in the exterior wall in the study and living room and ran the cable on the outside of the house. Its black too and runs under the guttering so you can't even see it either. 

Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.2GHz | Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz | MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr II OC | Samsung Evo 850 250GB | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Corsair 600T White | Corsair H100 | Corsair HX850 | Corsair SP120 QE | Asus MX279H | LG Flatron E2251 | Logitech G502 | Das Keyboard Ultimate 4 Browns | Fiio E10 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Corsair SP2500 | HTC One M8 | MacBook Air (Mid 2013) i5 8GB 128GB

I have a Linksys WRT54GL V 1.1 Router (spare router), and I already have an ethernet cable from where the main router is down to the basement.

But does anyone have a link to a guide or a guide on how to do this?

That guide seems to make it look harder than it is. I'll try and look for the original guide that I used. It was so easy, I could almost tell you myself.

Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.2GHz | Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz | MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr II OC | Samsung Evo 850 250GB | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Corsair 600T White | Corsair H100 | Corsair HX850 | Corsair SP120 QE | Asus MX279H | LG Flatron E2251 | Logitech G502 | Das Keyboard Ultimate 4 Browns | Fiio E10 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Corsair SP2500 | HTC One M8 | MacBook Air (Mid 2013) i5 8GB 128GB

I found a guide ( http://www.labnol.org/software/add-router-to-wireless-network/19716/). Is that guide good enough? And if someone could, I would prefer to have a YouTube guide.

Here is the guide! http://www.howtogeek.com/104469/how-to-extend-your-wi-fi-network-with-simple-access-points/

I think I found the link from Lifehacker and it sent me here. Hope you get along with it. If it does work for you, don't forget to select my post as the best answer! 

If you have an ethernet cable running from the first router to the second one, plug the second one in, and change the setting on the Linksys so its in "access point" mode.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Thank you for every answear :D I will definitely try the link SuperOwnJK provided.

I haven't gotten the new router yet, but I just wanted to be ready :)

I will mark solved answear after I have gotten everything configured.