Is it possible ? 1 steam game on SSD

WR10
Go to solution Solved by Volbet,

I think Steam gives you the option to chose the directory in which you install individual game now. So yes, I think it is possible

Hello guys , I'm curious weather I can only install 1 steam game ( DotA2 ) on my SSD and rest of the games on my HDD . Are there any way to do this ?

I think Steam gives you the option to chose the directory in which you install individual game now. So yes, I think it is possible

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

Okay, thanks guys :D , didn't know about this

Well dammit now i dont have a reason to get the 10tb ssd. 

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Well dammit now i dont have a reason to get the 10tb ssd. 

Congrats on 3000th post!

Respect the Code of Conduct!

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<

Congrats on 3000th post!

ty i can tell you that at least 36% of 29% of what i said on this forum is factual. 

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

ty i can tell you that at least 36% of 29% of what i said on this forum is factual. 

so 313 factual posts :p

Respect the Code of Conduct!

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<

Hello guys , I'm curious weather I can only install 1 steam game ( DotA2 ) on my SSD and rest of the games on my HDD . Are there any way to do this ?

Have you got the games installed in the wrong location already? That is that DotA2 it's on the HDD but you want to move it to the SSD without installing the game again. If so there is still an easy fix.

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

so 313 factual posts :P

At least. ninja powers activate :ph34r:

Listen if you care.

Actually, there are limitations. Most games can be installed wherever you want, but SOME must remain on C:/. Most notably, Valve games which do not yet use the "Steampipe" file system must go on C:/, e.g. Left 4 Dead (but not 2) and Half Life 2 Episode 1 and 2 (but not Half Life 2 the base game).

Have you got the games installed in the wrong location already? That is that DotA2 it's on the HDD but you want to move it to the SSD without installing the game again. If so there is still an easy fix.

I haven't got my SSD yet so yes , the game is in my HDD now.

Actually, there are limitations. Most games can be installed wherever you want, but SOME must remain on C:/. Most notably, Valve games which do not yet use the "Steampipe" file system must go on C:/, e.g. Left 4 Dead (but not 2) and Half Life 2 Episode 1 and 2 (but not Half Life 2 the base game).

Woah , so does DotA2 uses steampipe yet ? Cause for now it's the only game I care about .

Couldn't you install it on the C: and then use a directory junction (mklink /J) to move the folder to any drive you like?

This is the way I did it for games that I already had. Any new games I could just put them on the secondary install location but the ones that were already on the SSD, I just moved to the HDD and set up a directory junction. 

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

smjpl, on 29 Jul 2013 - 1:44 PM, said:

Couldn't you install it on the C: and then use a directory junction (mklink /J) to move the folder to any drive you like?

This is the way I did it for games that I already had. Any new games I could just put them on the secondary install location but the ones that were already on the SSD, I just moved to the HDD and set up a directory junction.

Yes, symbolic links also work. Before the multiple libraries were introduced that was the way to go for all the games in Steam.

Yes, symbolic links also work. Before the multiple libraries were introduced that was the way to go for all the games in Steam.

Yes, this works but I was specifically talking about limitations of the library system, since the OP selected the "use the option Steam gives you" response as the best one. I just wanted to point out that there are limitations with that method.

Steam mover is an application that can swap games directories to a different drive.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz