5820k or GTX980ti Sli

Ok this is the last time I'm going to ask this question because tomorrow is the day I buy everything.

I currently have a 4790k, Maximus VII Hero and 16GB 2400Mhz G-Skill Trident setup.

I've been forced to upgrade my 144hz 1080p monitor to 1440p 144hz thanks to my 3yo testing if a Corsair K70 keyboard will draw on a screen...It does PERMANENTLY.

(I'm cheating and using a Benq 27" XL2730Z Free-Sync, it's cheaper and will run at 144hz on Nvidia cards, like my 1080p 144hz Benq.)

I'm wanting my system to last at least 2 years for gaming, sitting back and looking at my day to day use, it minor video conversion, office, internet, unpacking rars and just basic stuff.

Should I replace it with a 5820k and 1 GTX980ti, or just go for 2 GTX980ti's in Sli?

I'm guessing for a SLi setup in a Enthoo Primo you'd be better off with reference cards right?

Thanks.

In just gaming you will notice slight to no difference when switching from 4790K to 5820K... go with 980ti SLI

What do you need the CPU upgrade for? And would you get DDR4 ram and a new motherboard too with it? It would be better to wait to upgrade your CPU imo you do still have a 4790k lol 

I'd go for the x2 980Ti's 100%

i5 4690k | GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | 16GB RAM | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | NZXT Kraken X61 | 850 EVO 250GB x2  | 1TB 850 Evo NZXT Noctis 450 | EVGA 750W 80+ Gold

Ducky Shine 3 TKL (Browns) | LG 34UC87C | Logitech MX Master ATH-M50x's + DT990 Pro's 

980TI Sli, because if you are upgrading your CPU to 5820kyou are probably looking at $1k to have 16GB DDR4 RAM.

$1720.74AU for the 5820K, Sabertooth X99 and Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4

or

$2308.26AU for GTX980ti Sli ($1049 per card plus shipping)

$1720.74AU for the 5820K, Sabertooth X99 and Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4

or

$2308.26AU for GTX980ti Sli ($1049 per card plus shipping)

Dude, the X99 platform is a waste of money for JUST gaming...you will see zero difference from that 4790K you have

Dude, the X99 platform is a waste of money for JUST gaming...you will see zero difference from that 4790K you have

Well that's settled it then... ;)

I picked up 1 Gigabyte GTX980ti G1 Gaming today along with a BenQ XL2730Z.

I know it's a Free-Sync monitor, but the Acer and ROG Gsync's are having to many issues and well you can run the BenQ XL2730Z as a standard 144hz monitor and its $250 cheaper.

All I have to say is the GTX980ti is an impressive card, I'm getting the same or if not more numbers as I was on the GTX980/1080@144hz with the same graphic settings.

Will maybe pick another GTX980ti up further down the track, but you were right, a X99 systems doesn't seem to effect much with gaming....Yet...lol

I picked up 1 Gigabyte GTX980ti G1 Gaming today along with a BenQ XL2730Z.

I know it's a Free-Sync monitor, but the Acer and ROG Gsync's are having to many issues and well you can run the BenQ XL2730Z as a standard 144hz monitor and its $250 cheaper.

DUDE...NO!!...you're buying 2500$ worth of GPU's here spend the extra 250$ for a Gsync unit WTF variable refresh rate is awesome you do want to take advantage of that!! come on. Acer have very nice Gsync units.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Upgrading your cpu will give you no extra performance whatsoever. A second 980ti will give you 80% more performance. As you can see it's an easy choice :)

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

but honestly do you really need  sli 

For 144hz 1440p it can really come in handy :) taking full advantage of that monitor should be even more intensive than 4k60hz, which a single 980ti can just barely do at very high settings. That's not to say you MUST have very high/max settings to enjoy the experience, but since he clearly spent a lot of money on this and has the budget for more he might as well go for it.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

DUDE...NO!!...you're buying 2500$ worth of GPU's here spend the extra 250$ for a Gsync unit WTF variable refresh rate is awesome you do want to take advantage of that!! come on. Acer have very nice Gsync units.

Because here in Australia there is a huge QC issue with the Acer Predator and ROG Swift, they are dying in short period's (where Asus don't have the parts to fix them) or just DOA, which has also lead to a stock shortage.

The XL2730Z is a beautiful looking screen, and even though it's not Gsync dipping to 40fps doesn't hurt the smoothness of the monitor.

Plus it's really no different to the XL2720Z I previously had which wasn't Gysnc, I'd still be using it if my son didn't scratch it..lol..

But honestly I had to put a hold on the second GTX980ti for the time being as my car broke down and SUV's aren't cheap to fix here in AU...lol..

The XL2730Z is a beautiful looking screen, and even though it's not Gsync dipping to 40fps doesn't hurt the smoothness of the monitor.

Plus it's really no different to the XL2720Z I previously had which wasn't Gysnc, I'd still be using it if my son didn't scratch it..lol..

- You seem to think you can do freesync with an nvidia GPU which is not the case...you get absolutely no benefit from using a freesync display with an nvidia GPU so better just get a non-freesync display and save even more money.

- You'd think differently if you would have experienced Gsync.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

- You seem to think you can do freesync with an nvidia GPU which is not the case...you get absolutely no benefit from using a freesync display with an nvidia GPU so better just get a non-freesync display and save even more money.

- You'd think differently if you would have experienced Gsync.

You don't do Free-Sync, it's just a 1440p@144hz monitor, there's nothing else in that price range.

But it's a null point now, the monitor died within 4 hours, flickered itself into oblivion, took it back, got a second Benq XL2720Z 1080p@144hz, plugged it in, flickered like heck out of the box on 3 machines, including the retailers.

Now onto the fantastic Gsync Acer Predator 27", it was the last 144hz monitor they had in stock, so I asked them to test it before making the hour long journey home, so they did, 120hz fine, 144hz flicker fest, and that was on a GTX980ti machine they had instock, as well as a non Nvidia machine.

All I got to say is WTF, 3 144hz monitors, and 3 flickered themselves to death, one in front of the sales staff...

Because here in Australia there is a huge QC issue with the Acer Predator and ROG Swift, they are dying in short period's (where Asus don't have the parts to fix them) or just DOA, which has also lead to a stock shortage.

But honestly I had to put a hold on the second GTX980ti for the time being as my car broke down and SUV's aren't cheap to fix here in AU...lol..

Gsync is worth it IMO. And the QC issues are around the world not only in AU. Some members both their Swifts last December with no issues. I bought mine 3 months ago with no issues as well. Where do you buy your hardware? But then again seeing as you are already happy with your setup.....

Desktop: ARX-Laevatein : soon to be ARX-8 http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/8RyhHx

Custom Aurora R4 ALX case + Caselabs Merlin Pedestal | i7- 4820k @ 4.8 Ghz | Asus Rampage IV Gene Mobo | 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum | EVGA/Gigabyte 12GB Titan X SLI | 128GB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 2x WD RED 3TB| EVGA 1200 P2 PSU | Win 10 | Razer Black Widow Chroma | Corsair M95 | Asus ROG Swift PG278Q | Sennheiser G4ME ZERO White

Laptop: M17x R4 Stealth Black :

i7-3940xm | 32 Gb G.Skill Ripjaws | 8Gb GTX 880m | Killer Wireless N-1103 | 500Gb Samsung 840 EVO, 1TB WD 5400rpm + 32Gb Msata SSD Cache | 1920 x 1080 120Hz 3D screen | DVDRWBD | Sound Blaster recon 3Di | M18x 330w PSU | Win 7 Ultimate | Zalman ZM-NC11 Black | Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB | Razer Mamba 2012 | Sennheiser PC 363D 7.1 Headset

Gsync is worth it IMO. And the QC issues are around the world not only in AU. Some members both their Swifts last December with no issues. I bought mine 3 months ago with no issues as well. Where do you buy your hardware? But then again seeing as you are already happy with your setup.....

I'm not, I'm currently using my old scratched monitor, waiting for the retailer to called me back after testing the rest of the stock, I really want the Predator, seeing it setup the colours were awesome, it's just at higher than 120hz refresh rate caused it to flicker and eventually die.

I'm not, I'm currently using my old scratched monitor, waiting for the retailer to called me back after testing the rest of the stock, I really want the Predator, seeing it setup the colours were awesome, it's just at higher than 120hz refresh rate caused it to flicker and eventually die.

And thats why I dont buy newly released monitors. I personal went with the Swift because of 3D vision and aesthetics. Besides good TN panels are good enough to compare to ips. But hey its your money spend it well and on what you like.

Custom Aurora R4 ALX case + Caselabs Merlin Pedestal | i7- 4820k @ 4.8 Ghz | Asus Rampage IV Gene Mobo | 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum | EVGA/Gigabyte 12GB Titan X SLI | 128GB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 2x WD RED 3TB| EVGA 1200 P2 PSU | Win 10 | Razer Black Widow Chroma | Corsair M95 | Asus ROG Swift PG278Q | Sennheiser G4ME ZERO White

i7-3940xm | 32 Gb G.Skill Ripjaws | 8Gb GTX 880m | Killer Wireless N-1103 | 500Gb Samsung 840 EVO, 1TB WD 5400rpm + 32Gb Msata SSD Cache | 1920 x 1080 120Hz 3D screen | DVDRWBD | Sound Blaster recon 3Di | M18x 330w PSU | Win 7 Ultimate | Zalman ZM-NC11 Black | Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB | Razer Mamba 2012 | Sennheiser PC 363D 7.1 Headset

And thats why I dont buy newly released monitors. I personal went with the Swift because of 3D vision and aesthetics. Besides good TN panels are good enough to compare to ips. But hey its your money spend it well and on what you like.

Well I love the GTX980ti, doubled my FPS on my old monitor, but I don't know what to do about getting a new monitor.

Everyone keeps saying not to buy the swift due to QC issues, so at the moment until I speak to the retailer in the morning I'm using a scratched Benq XL2720Z (1080p@144hz).

They both have issues. Its just that the swift is older so they are a bit ahead in fixing the qc problems. If you had a faulty one then it must have been part of the first batch (but its already june lol) or just terribly unlucky. I buy most of my stuff from pccasegear but bought my monitor from mwave (if only you were at Sydney). Brought it in the bus and the train lol! Not the best idea but funny and good exercise.

Anyways this is turning into a monitor topic so as stated 5820k is not a big step up if its just for gaming. And if you are planning on spending 2k on graphics cards (after car repairs) get a gsync monitor as well. Get the complete package mate.

They both have issues. Its just that the swift is older so they are a bit ahead in fixing the qc problems. If you had a faulty one then it must have been part of the first batch (but its already june lol) or just terribly unlucky. I buy most of my stuff from pccasegear but bought my monitor from mwave (if only you were at Sydney). Brought it in the bus and the train lol! Not the best idea but funny and good exercise.

Anyways this is turning into a monitor topic so as stated 5820k is not a big step up if its just for gaming. And if you are planning on spending 2k on graphics cards (after car repairs) get a gsync monitor as well. Get the complete package mate.

All the monitor I tried lately were from MSY, they were just local, and if something does go wrong I don't have to courier anything..lol

But their technician filled me with so much confidence today, he told me to use HDMI 1.4a on the Predator, or any 144hz monitor because its "faster"..lol..

I'll probably just get my money back from MSY and order a ROG swift from PCCG, will flick them an email and get them to test it quickly due to recent events, they have always been really good in the past, it's just the cost of shipping back a faulty monitor that puts me off..lol

And I decided against the 5820k, I'd never use it for what it's meant for too, I game more than anything else on my PC.