PSU ranking and tiers

Aniallation

What about the OCZ ZT/ZX series?

Well OCZ doesn't make PSUs anymore

"Rawr XD"

How come the Cooler master V Series semi modular is tier 2 and the non modular V series is tier 1?

Processor:Intel Xeon 1231V3 - Motherboard:MSI Z97S Krait Edition - Ram:Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB - Video Card: 980 Reference - SSD/HDD: Samsung 120GB/WD 1TB - Case: NZXT S340

How come the Cooler master V Series semi modular is tier 2 and the non modular V series is tier 1?

the one you think is non-modular is actually fully modular :)

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

the one you think is non-modular is actually fully modular :)

p

Oh! Didn't notice. Thanks :P I'll just get the Semi-Modular V750.

Processor:Intel Xeon 1231V3 - Motherboard:MSI Z97S Krait Edition - Ram:Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB - Video Card: 980 Reference - SSD/HDD: Samsung 120GB/WD 1TB - Case: NZXT S340

p

Oh! Didn't notice. Thanks :P I'll just get the Semi-Modular V750.

Honestly, modularity is just a gimick. It's optional :P

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Honestly, modularity is just a gimick. It's optional :P

V-Series semi-modular version is made by Enhance, fully-modular version is made by Seasonic. They are different internally, the fully-modular version is built better and performs better.

"Rawr XD"

I've started seeing this guide recently spring up from the PCMasterRace subreddit: http://i.imgur.com/tgrbCnr.jpg

And honestly, it really needs some editing, and needs to be a version that's not set in stone like that image but rather a thread. And I'm bored. So here we go:

Tier 1 (Best)

Antec - High Current Pro, High Current Platinum, EDGE, TruePower Classic

Be Quiet - Dark Power Pro P10

Corsair - AX, AXi, HXi, RMi

Cooler Master - V-series (fully modular)

EVGA - G2, P2, GS, PS

LEPA - G1600

Seasonic - G, S12G, X, Platinum, Snow Silent

Super Flower - Leadex

XFX - TS Gold, Pro Gold, Pro XXX, XTR

Tier 2 (Good)

Antec - High Current Gamer, Neo ECO

Be Quiet - Power Zone, Straight Power E9, E10

Corsair - RM, HX

Cooler Master - VSM ("V-series" Semi modular)

EVGA - B2

Fractal - Newton R3

Enermax - Platimax, Revolution X't

Rosewill - Capstone, Lightning, Silent Night, Tahyon

Seasonic - M12II, M12II EVO, S12II

Silverstone - Gold SFX, Gold Evolution, Strider Gold

Super Flower - Golden Green

Thermaltake - ToughPower Gold, DPS Gold

XFX - Core, ProSeries Bronze, TS Bronze

Tier 3 (Decent)

Corsair - CS

Cooler Master - GM

Enermax - NaXn 82+

EVGA - 1000G

FSP - Aurum Pro

Fractal - Integra M

Rosewill - Fortress

Silverstone - Strider Plus

Tier 4 (Meh)

Antec - Basiq VP

Be Quiet - Dark Power Pro, Pure Power L8, Straight Power E9

Bitfenix - Fury

Cooler Master - Elite series

Corsair - VS, CX

EVGA - 430/500 W1, 500/600 B, NEX-B (B1), NEX-G (G1)

FSP - Aurum

Fractal - Integra R2, Tesla R2

Rosewill - Hive

Silverstone - Strider Essential

Thermaltake - Smart(SE), LitePower, London

Zalman - GS/GT

Ones to stay away from

Any shitty-brand PSU like Apevia, Logisys, Diablotek, etc

Generic Chinese units

EVGA - 400W

FSP - Raider

Thermaltake - TR2, PurePower

Need more to be added

Changelog

1 - General editing to Reddit list. Removed many entries from brand most people wouldn't consider to clean up the list. Rebrands of the same PSU platform (like Seasonic G) grouped together into proper tiers rather then being scattered. Re-arranged order of some PSUs like Corsairs. Added a few extra entries.

2 - Moved some entries, ThermalTake, CM

Idk conclusion? 

General advice? Pick a good PSU for your system and let it last. Choose one from a good OEM, one that's known for being high quality, and is as high up on this list as you can get for your budget. Balance out your builds and don't pick flagship components like CPU and GPU combined with a tier 4 PSU.

Suggestions, corrections, and additions are definitely needed and welcome, feel free to leave them down below in the replies.

Where does the XFX Pro Black 850w gold fully modular stand?

Where does the XFX Pro Black 850w gold fully modular stand?

I follow this thread, so no need to quote the (gigantic) OP. The Pro Black is Seasonic G-based as are the non-Black Pro Golds, which are listed in Tier 1 with all the other Seasonic G based units :)

"Rawr XD"

I follow this thread, so no need to quote the (gigantic) OP. The Pro Black is Seasonic G-based as are the non-Black Pro Golds, which are listed in Tier 1 with all the other Seasonic G based units :)

Ok thanks. Sorry for quoting.

what tier would the antec earthwatts be?

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

what tier would the antec earthwatts be?

Which EarthWatts? There are many different models 

"Rawr XD"

Which EarthWatts? There are many different models 

earthwatts green like this one https://pcpartpicker.com/part/antec-power-supply-ea650green

Spoiler

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

Seems like a solid unit and belongs in Tier 2. I've also added some other entries by Antec. Thanks for the suggestion.

no problem

Spoiler

Add the best PSU maker, FirePower please.

Galax/Sapphire fanboy for life!

Hall Of Fame ♕ Owner's Club

Always supporting Lyoto "The Dragon" Machida!

Add the best PUS maker, FirePower please.

who?

Add the best PUS maker, FirePower please.

lol, I went to their site and first thing I see is the PSU I had 5 years ago

dc638f7b83.jpg

But I will definitely look into their options and add to the tiers and rebrands list, thanks for your suggestion

"Rawr XD"

A rather old brand, that recently acquired the PSU assets of OCZ as PC Power and Cooling

Haven't seen them :o

Haven't seen them :o

I used to have the exact same unit as in the picture I posted above on their main website page. Except it was branded as OCZ instead. It's a rather old PSU (but a decent Sirtec unit) that they're just reusing under the FirePower name, as well as the PC Power and Cooling Silencer Mk III.

"Rawr XD"