Why no signature pictures?

Plastictree

I can call myself a forum signature artist. Over the years, I've made over 100 forum signatures for other people. They are so much fun to make, and it's like clothes for your posts. In a 100 pixel high picture you can show your interests and what type of person you are, it can define you in such a small space. Here's my gallery of stuff I've made, just ignore the personal stuff: http://s1194.photobucket.com/user/plastictree9/library/?sort=3&page=4

Now I've only been through a few forums, first couple gaming communities, ECF, overclock, tek syndicate, and now linus tech. Less than half of them didn't allow signatures, and they never give reasons why. 

So why can't we use them? How many of you would like them? How many of you want me to make you one?

I just wanna use this one

plastictree10.png

Isn't that thing great? You know how many hours it took me to make this thing? Like.. 2 hours... lmao. Thats not the point. Anyway, why can't we use them and how many of you want them?

The clutter up the forum and make pages take longer to load. originally we weren't even going to have text signatures. 

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."

It can be distracting.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Too much bandwidth overall and it takes away from the fluidity. This was a major problem with the EA forums, especially the latter, back in '08.

It can get obnoxious and ruin the clean look of the site, even with a conservative pixel height limit.

Some forums are suited to signature free-for-alls.  This one definitely isn't.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

Please no signature pictures. There would be endless scrolling which would get very annoying.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Alright alright I get it, I'm the only one here. Idk, I always find gif profile pics way more annoying than signatures

Clutter, and as is you are not supposed to have 3+ lines, if they allow images people will just have massive pictures. 

Intel 3570K - MSI GTX 660Ti 3GB OC Edition - 16GB Corsair LP RAM - ASRock Extreme4 Motherboard - Corsair HX850 - Adata Premier Pro SP900 120GB SSD with Windows 7 - Seagate Barracuda 1TD HDD - Seagate Barracuda 500GB HDD - Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler - CM Storm Enforcer Case - Macbook Pro Early 2011 Laptop

Alright alright I get it, I'm the only one here. Idk, I always find gif profile pics way more annoying than signatures

Those are off to the side, and can only be a certain dimension, so it isn't all that bad, but having random images pop up while you're scrolling through a thread can just be plain annoying for quite a few reasons.

I think there should be images.

We can have the images hosted offsite (imgur, postimage etc.)

And have members opt out of image signatures. (Revoke the access to view signatures).

I think there should be images.

We can have the images hosted offsite (imgur, postimage etc.)

And have members opt out of image signatures. (Revoke the access to view signatures).

Yeah! Innovation! Make it a setting that is default at turned off for viewing picture signatures. And only allow off site hosting

I agree it would be nice to have images on your signature. But I rather have a clean looking forum than having a forum just cluttered with images as well as everyone's current signature. It would take longer to load pages and you would have to scroll down longer to read threads.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

People usually abuse them, the amount of times i saw penises on someones sig because he was trolling is to damn high, plus it ruins the look of the website, you can do the same thing with text.

:/

Gets too messy and they are really annoying. I would rather not have them. 

No offense, but they are kinda stupid IMO, don't really serve a purpose of any sort. 

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

<p>Some peoples text sigs are REALLY annoying while you are navigating a topic, i cant imagine how irratating images would get. especially with .gifs</p>
<p> </p>
<p>for example Dude Wazap (not trying to be a dick) </p>
<p> </p>
<p style="padding: 0px; color: rgb(164, 164, 164); font-family: helvetica, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: 15px; background-color: rgb(26, 26, 26);"><strong>My Rig</strong> - <span style="color: rgb(255, 0, 0);">CPU</span>: AMD Fx8150 @ 4Ghz <span style="color: rgb(255, 0, 0);">GPU</span>: 2-way sli Asus GTX 780 Direct CUII OC<span style="color: rgb(255, 0, 0);"> MB</span>: Asus Sabertooth 990Fx <span style="color: rgb(255, 0, 0);">RAM</span>: G.Skill Sniper 16gb(4x4gb) 1866 <span style="color: rgb(255, 0, 0);">CPU Cooler</span>: Corsair H100  <span style="color: rgb(255, 0, 0);">Sound card</span>:Creative <span style="color: rgb(77, 77, 77);">Sound Blaster Recon3D Fatal1ty</span></p>
<p style="padding: 0px; color: rgb(164, 164, 164); font-family: helvetica, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: 15px; background-color: rgb(26, 26, 26);"><span style="color: rgb(255, 0, 0);">SSD</span><span style="color: rgb(77, 77, 77);">: 256gb Crucial M4 </span><span style="color: rgb(255, 0, 0);">HDD</span><span style="color: rgb(77, 77, 77);">: 1tb WD Black Caviar </span><span style="color: rgb(255, 0, 0);">PSU</span><span style="color: rgb(77, 77, 77);">: 1200w Cooler Master Silent pro</span><span style="color: rgb(255, 0, 0);"> Case</span><span style="color: rgb(77, 77, 77);">: Cooler Master HAF X </span><span style="color: rgb(255, 0, 0);">Optical Drive</span><span style="color: rgb(77, 77, 77);">: LG Black 10x BD-ROM</span></p>
<p style="padding: 0px; color: rgb(164, 164, 164); font-family: helvetica, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: 15px; background-color: rgb(26, 26, 26);"><span style="color: rgb(77, 77, 77);"><strong>Peripherals</strong> - </span><span style="color: rgb(255, 0, 0);">KB</span><span style="color: rgb(77, 77, 77);">: Cm Storm Trigger with Cherry MX blue switches and Logitech G15 </span><span style="color: rgb(255, 0, 0);">Mouse</span><span style="color: rgb(77, 77, 77);">: FPS mouse is Logitech G9, WOW mouse Logitech G600</span><span style="color: rgb(255, 0, 0);"> Headset</span><span style="color: rgb(77, 77, 77);">: Logitech G930 and Logitech G230 </span><span style="color: rgb(255, 0, 0);">Monitor</span><span style="color: rgb(77, 77, 77);">: Asus PB278Q</span></p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p>that is quite an extensive sig. and for me to have to scroll past that every time gets annoying. And yours isnt even bad compared to some others. </p>

-Snip-

It's even more extensive when the forum derps and makes it 5 times the size. :p

It only puts a lot of unescessary stuff on a topic. I find that annoying.

CPU : Intel Core i7 3960X, Mobo : X79-UD3, Memory : 4x4GB Vengeance Black Memory 1600MHz, GPU : Asus GTX 970 Strix, Case : Switch 810 Matte Black, Storage : 256GB Samsung 830 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, PSU : Thermaltake 750W 80+ Bronze, Displays : 3x Asus 1080p Screens, Cooling : Corsair H100i, Keyboard : Logitech G710+, Mouse : Madcat Cyborg R.A.T.7, Sound : Sennheiser HD598, V-Moda Crossfade LP, Logitech Z-5500, HMD : Oculus Rift CV1

<p>Some peoples text sigs are REALLY annoying while you are navigating a topic, i cant imagine how irratating images would get. especially with .gifs</p>

<p> </p>

<p>for example Dude Wazap (not trying to be a dick) </p>

<p> </p>

<p style="padding: 0px; color: rgb(164, 164, 164); font-family: helvetica, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: 15px; background-color: rgb(26, 26, 26);"><strong>My Rig</strong> - <span style="color: rgb(255, 0, 0);">CPU</span>: AMD Fx8150 @ 4Ghz <span style="color: rgb(255, 0, 0);">GPU</span>: 2-way sli Asus GTX 780 Direct CUII OC<span style="color: rgb(255, 0, 0);"> MB</span>: Asus Sabertooth 990Fx <span style="color: rgb(255, 0, 0);">RAM</span>: G.Skill Sniper 16gb(4x4gb) 1866 <span style="color: rgb(255, 0, 0);">CPU Cooler</span>: Corsair H100  <span style="color: rgb(255, 0, 0);">Sound card</span>:Creative <span style="color: rgb(77, 77, 77);">Sound Blaster Recon3D Fatal1ty</span></p>

<p style="padding: 0px; color: rgb(164, 164, 164); font-family: helvetica, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: 15px; background-color: rgb(26, 26, 26);"><span style="color: rgb(255, 0, 0);">SSD</span><span style="color: rgb(77, 77, 77);">: 256gb Crucial M4 </span><span style="color: rgb(255, 0, 0);">HDD</span><span style="color: rgb(77, 77, 77);">: 1tb WD Black Caviar </span><span style="color: rgb(255, 0, 0);">PSU</span><span style="color: rgb(77, 77, 77);">: 1200w Cooler Master Silent pro</span><span style="color: rgb(255, 0, 0);"> Case</span><span style="color: rgb(77, 77, 77);">: Cooler Master HAF X </span><span style="color: rgb(255, 0, 0);">Optical Drive</span><span style="color: rgb(77, 77, 77);">: LG Black 10x BD-ROM</span></p>

<p style="padding: 0px; color: rgb(164, 164, 164); font-family: helvetica, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: 15px; background-color: rgb(26, 26, 26);"><span style="color: rgb(77, 77, 77);"><strong>Peripherals</strong> - </span><span style="color: rgb(255, 0, 0);">KB</span><span style="color: rgb(77, 77, 77);">: Cm Storm Trigger with Cherry MX blue switches and Logitech G15 </span><span style="color: rgb(255, 0, 0);">Mouse</span><span style="color: rgb(77, 77, 77);">: FPS mouse is Logitech G9, WOW mouse Logitech G600</span><span style="color: rgb(255, 0, 0);"> Headset</span><span style="color: rgb(77, 77, 77);">: Logitech G930 and Logitech G230 </span><span style="color: rgb(255, 0, 0);">Monitor</span><span style="color: rgb(77, 77, 77);">: Asus PB278Q</span></p>

<p> </p>

<p> </p>

<p>that is quite an extensive sig. and for me to have to scroll past that every time gets annoying. And yours isnt even bad compared to some others. </p>

Click edit and save right afterwards to fix the code all over your post.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

ive tried everything on that post including rewriting the whole thing. something is glitchy with that post i dont know what. it wont go back to normal no matter what i am doing. Sorry guys :/

I don't like them, but ultimately I wouldn't care, as I would just block those signatures ;-) bandwidth on the server side of things would be ok if it was all hosted off site. It should be opt in to view though...