What am I doing wrong?

mikeywil0003

I just set up an untangle box to be my router...firewall...etc. I have my Westell DSL modem plugged into the WAN port on the box. The LAN port only seems to work if it is plugged directly into another machine. I am starting to think that my Cisco 16 port switch (which I havent used before) is dead. When I plug the LAN port into the switch, anything else that I plug into the switch will not get an IP address. I do get a link light on both the Untangle box, and the switch. I tried pinging the modem, and the untangle box, and get nothing. I am 99% positive all of my settings are correct because it works when I plug the LAN port directly into another machine. I dont have another switch around to do troubleshooting with. How can I test to see if this Cisco switch is functioning?

Is it a managed switch?  Is there a port on the back labled as 'console'?  If its not managed then it might be broken or something.  Can you provide the model?

It is a Cisco SR2016 v2.2, unmanaged, I am aware that they have a problem that the ports go dead on them 4 at a time, I already preformed the fix for that, which involved replacing bad capacitors. It powers up, I get a link light on everything I plug into it, on any port. Just no device that I plug into it receives an IP address. I cant think of how I can test and know for sure this thing is dead, or functional.

I isolated the problem, and it is NOT the Untangle box, I substituted a WRT54g router (DHCP server enabled) that I had laying around in place of the Untangle box, and same problem, still doesnt receive an IP address.

Edited by mikeywil0003

HI,

Try giving plugging the switch into the LAN, Then from the switch to a PC, Then give the PC a static IP and point it to the Untangle box. Shout if you need help setting up the static IP on the PC.

Sheldon