Why is it dangerous to unplug a computer?

potatoproduction

Why is it dangerous to unplug a computer without shutting it down first? What can happen and why?

It's generally not a good idea because any files that are in the middle of being written could end up corrupted. This can cause further problems.

Also some HDDs don't like to suddenly lose power.

Sig under construction.

my old packard bell (oem psu and all the other junk) has survived numerous un-pluggings due to the plug on the psu being cracked. so im thinking its leaning more towards data corruption and not component damage.

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

Corrupt data is the most common occurrence if you have a sudden loss of power. Most HDDs also like to "spin down" as opposed to simply abruptly stopping the motor as this keeps it from wearing as fast. In a worst-case certain very poorly made power supplies can cause damage to hardware.

I hate those people who hold the power button every time they want to shut down their computer. It isn't good for the computer.

Born too early to explore the galaxy, born too late to explore the seas, born just in time to make memes.

I hate those people who hold the power button every time they want to shut down their computer. It isn't good for the computer.

isn't holding down the power button the only way to turn it off ?
Spoiler

The Ninja (current gaming pc)  Case- h440 red/black cpu- i5-4690k@ 4.3ghz cooler- coolermaster hyper 212 evo moboGigabyte z97x-sli ram- adata xpg v.1 2x4gb 1600mhz gpu- asus strix gtx 970 hdd- wd blue 1tb ssd- kingston hyperx savage 240gb psu- evga 600b peripherals: mouse- razer death adder 2013 keyboard- corsair k70 with chery mx-reds headset- HyperX Cloud 2

my laptop- toshiba satelite p850, cpu- i7-3630qm ram- 8gb 1600mhz hdd- 1tb 5400rpm gpu- Nvidia gt630m 2gb

did you know we have a gun thread ? well we do 

and a car thread ! 

isn't holding down the power button the only way to turn it off ?

you kidding right?

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

you kidding right?

no why ? That's what I was always told to do
Spoiler

The Ninja (current gaming pc)  Case- h440 red/black cpu- i5-4690k@ 4.3ghz cooler- coolermaster hyper 212 evo moboGigabyte z97x-sli ram- adata xpg v.1 2x4gb 1600mhz gpu- asus strix gtx 970 hdd- wd blue 1tb ssd- kingston hyperx savage 240gb psu- evga 600b peripherals: mouse- razer death adder 2013 keyboard- corsair k70 with chery mx-reds headset- HyperX Cloud 2

my laptop- toshiba satelite p850, cpu- i7-3630qm ram- 8gb 1600mhz hdd- 1tb 5400rpm gpu- Nvidia gt630m 2gb

and a car thread ! 

no why ?

ever heard of something called the ''start menu''? there you can turn off your computer safely or put it to sleep or even reset...

Capture.png

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

ever heard of something called the ''start menu''? there you can turn off your computer safely or put it to sleep or even reset...

Capture.png

really ?
Spoiler

and a car thread ! 

no why ? That's what I was always told to do

KILL. ME.

Born too early to explore the galaxy, born too late to explore the seas, born just in time to make memes.

KILL. ME.

nah I'm just trollin. Saw an opertunity and took it :P
Spoiler

and a car thread ! 

Why is it dangerous to unplug a computer without shutting it down first? What can happen and why?

mostly data loss and data corruption is data is being saved or transferred. Like if your pc is doing something and the process is stored on the ram when you shut it down it goes on to your hdd/ssd but if you unplug it, it doesn't have the time to save that data
Spoiler

and a car thread ! 

That isn't funny.

It's amazing how workup up people will get.

It's amazing how workup up people will get.

I would say its more disbelief than worked up,

as we've seen it many times before..

I would say its more disbelief than worked up,

as we've seen it many times before..

thus the reason i went for it

Spoiler

and a car thread !