What's Your Favorite Audio Codec?

I'm the only one using MediaMonkey?

Pardon my English. Not my native language.

Intel Celeron G1820 Haswell | ASRock B85M-ITX | Transcend 1GB DDR3-1333 | HEC Cougar SL 500W 80+ | Lian Li PC-Q03B ITX | SanDisk Extreme USB 3.0 16GB | OpenElec-XBMC

I almost gave up on Foobar2000 until I saw Logan's tutorial.  Otherwise I would have just stuck to TTPlayer, which I still use bc it's so simple (and can handle lyrics better at the moment).  I would have stayed with winamp since it plays videos, but interface was too laggy.

Anybody use the Foobar2000 and get it working with videos?

My Rigs (past and present)

Does the choice of the playback program make a difference in the sound quality?

person below me is a scrub

I almost gave up on Foobar2000 until I saw Logan's tutorial.  Otherwise I would have just stuck to TTPlayer, which I still use bc it's so simple (and can handle lyrics better at the moment).  I would have stayed with winamp since it plays videos, but interface was too laggy.

Anybody use the Foobar2000 and get it working with videos?

Foobar doesen't support video. I would just install VLC player. It's awesome. :)

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 (2x SP120 Quiet Edition)  Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z77  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866MHz  PSU: Corsair AX850  GPU: EVGA GTX 670 FTW 2GB  SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB

Does the choice of the playback program make a difference in the sound quality?

To a certain extent I believe. Somebody else might know more. :p

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 (2x SP120 Quiet Edition)  Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z77  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866MHz  PSU: Corsair AX850  GPU: EVGA GTX 670 FTW 2GB  SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB

Foobar2K + FLAC = AWESOME!!!

I either get my music through....uhhh not so legal sources. But I get my favorite albums from a local CD store. 

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

Wishing Spotify was in the Poll....

I never used Spotify but I only stream di.fm so I make fun of my friends for using spotify. 2facebook4me

Install Gentoo GNU/Linux | "You have been placed on moderator queue. This means that all content you submit will need to be approved by a moderator before it will be shown." | top LEL

Build specs: Corsair 540, i7 2600K @ 4.2Ghz, Asrock z77 extreme4, 16gb DDR3 @1866, 2 x 1TB, GTX 560 ti
Monitors: Asus VG236H, Dell U2713HM Headphones: Koss PortaPro, DT 770 80ohm, AT-AD700 | Steam profile

I never used Spotify but I only stream di.fm so I make fun of my friends for using spotify. 2facebook4me

I was set on buying all my CDs for awhile, but then I realized I would never stop buying CDs....

I was set on buying all my CDs for awhile, but then I realized I would never stop buying CDs....

hastag forever poor

hastag yellow

Install Gentoo GNU/Linux | "You have been placed on moderator queue. This means that all content you submit will need to be approved by a moderator before it will be shown." | top LEL

Build specs: Corsair 540, i7 2600K @ 4.2Ghz, Asrock z77 extreme4, 16gb DDR3 @1866, 2 x 1TB, GTX 560 ti
Monitors: Asus VG236H, Dell U2713HM Headphones: Koss PortaPro, DT 770 80ohm, AT-AD700 | Steam profile

There needs to be more options for buying music.

Current Desktop: AMD Phenom II 955 @ 3.8GHz | Cooler Master V8 | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX | ASUS GTX 570 | OCZ ModXStream 700W | Fractal Design Define R4 |
Preferred Programs: Foobar2000 | Firefox - Nightly | MPC-HC | µTorrent 2.2.1 | Hexchat | | Shell & Visual Style: bblean & Windows Classic with 3DCC |

Periferals: BenQ G2420HDB | LG M2262DP | Corsair SP2500 | Corsair K60 | Razer Naga | ATH-M50WH | PS3 | PS2 | Sony Xperia S | iPod Touch 3g 32GB |

Foobar doesen't support video. I would just install VLC player. It's awesome. :)

Not natively, but there has been some request and projects related to it.  VLC and MPC-HC are already my main players for video now but they don't have good library/playlist ability (unless I'm missing something obvious it's nothing close to what I'm seeing in Foobar2000).

Anyway, I'm tired of switching players just to watch music videos, not to mention not having the media buttons work consistently and other issues.  I might have to go back to winamp but $20 for pro just to watch most my music videos on one computer... <_< .

Sticking with the OP topic.... FLAC could have been favorite, but lack of support and extra dependency on codecs/players killed it for me.  I  think I'll just stick with MP3 and WAV unless space becomes a big issue.

My Rigs (past and present)

I don't have a favorite. Not all codecs were designed for the same purpose, so picking one over the other is like saying you like monster trucks more than bicycles.

For use on my phone and such, AAC.

When I am at my computer at home I use FLAC.

I use Foobar2000 at home and Google Music on my phone.

I rip mine in ALAC for the iPod and listen in Foobar at home so i just voted mp3. No love for ALAC i guess.

Also for the people asking about sound quality differences, there will be no difference at all in the vast majority of the players in their stock forms. The differences come from things like Foobar because you can add plugins and the like to change the sound and upsample it etc.

Headset

I do the same thing as fishymamba if I love the album I'll buy it if I don't I just torrent and try it out.

CPU: AMD 3600 GPU: ASUS DUAL OC RX 6750 XT MOBO: Asus Prime X570-P RAM: 16GB XPG Gammix D10 3000Mhz

PSU: Gamdias Kratos P1 650w 80+ Gold OS:Windows 10 pro Case: 4U Rackmount  HDD/SSD:Seagate 8 TB/ Patriot Scorch m.2 512GB

You can't spell ignorant without IGN...-TheSLSAMG

There needs to be more options for buying music.

If you have any additions, I'll be more than happy to add them. Just mention them in your post. :p

Spoiler

I rip mine in ALAC for the iPod and listen in Foobar at home so i just voted mp3. No love for ALAC i guess.

Also for the people asking about sound quality differences, there will be no difference at all in the vast majority of the players in their stock forms. The differences come from things like Foobar because you can add plugins and the like to change the sound and upsample it etc.

Added. :)

Spoiler

ALAC and FLAC are nearly the same but from what I noticed from my ALAC/FLAC rips is, FLAC has a little better tone. i can still pick out if its ALAC or FLAC playing back nearly 60% of the time. But that's just me and I use foobar.

ALAC and FLAC are nearly the same but from what I noticed from my ALAC/FLAC rips is, FLAC has a little better tone. i can still pick out if its ALAC or FLAC playing back nearly 60% of the time. But that's just me and I use foobar.

It's just placebo. They should sound exactly the same since both are lossless.

I don't know why, but I don't care about a lot of things related to my computer. I care about graphics and speed. Not peripherals or sound. So I like .mp3 because it's so damn easy and mainstream

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

Eh. There a small tone diff. Prob since I used Itunes for my ALAC rip I have atm. They do sound the same but the tune is little diff on my ALAC rip

Eh. There a small tone diff. Prob since I used Itunes for my ALAC rip I have atm. They do sound the same but the tune is little diff on my ALAC rip

Yes i thought they should sound exactly the same as they are both lossless formats, could be an EQ you are using within either iTunes or Foobar that is changing the sound. I use ALAC because FLAC wont work on my iPod.

Headset

Yes i thought they should sound exactly the same as they are both lossless formats, could be an EQ you are using within either iTunes or Foobar that is changing the sound. I use ALAC because FLAC wont work on my iPod.

Yeah, Same reason I have ALAC files on my pc but its only on a few songs i notice it.