Why can't i change fan speeds below 50% in bios? (MSI Z97S Krait)

Dear Forum,

I'm trying to change my fan speeds to below 50% but there's barerly a program that allows me to do that. I know speedfan exist and that works but the UI is terrible, have to do a workaround to make it boot with my bootup aswell.

The MSI command center only lets me go down to 50%, but when editing files i can push my fans down to 30% while still pushing enough air.

Is there a way that i can change my settings in my bios so that in idle it runs at 30%? It'll only allow me to go down to 50%.

Could anyone explain to me why i can't change something that seems really simple? I'm allowed to overclock and overvoltage my CPU or GPU but not undervoltage my fans??

Dear Forum,

I'm trying to change my fan speeds to below 50% but there's barerly a program that allows me to do that. I know speedfan exist and that works but the UI is terrible, have to do a workaround to make it boot with my bootup aswell.

The MSI command center only lets me go down to 50%, but when editing files i can push my fans down to 30% while still pushing enough air.

Is there a way that i can change my settings in my bios so that in idle it runs at 30%? It'll only allow me to go down to 50%.

Could anyone explain to me why i can't change something that seems really simple? I'm allowed to overclock and overvoltage my CPU or GPU but not undervoltage my fans??

I doubt it. If they are PWM fans you could pull it off, but if they're just 3 pin I think the lowest they're supposed to go is 50%

CPU: INTEL Core i7 4790k @ 4.7Ghz - Cooling: NZXT Kraken X61 - Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X SLI - RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ares 2400mhz - GPU: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury 4G - Case: Phanteks P350X - PSU: EVGA 750GQ - Storage: WD Black 1TB - Fans: 2x Noctua NF-P14s (Push) / 2x Corsair AF140 (Pull) / 3x Corsair AF120 (Exhaust) - Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX Red - Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma

Bit of an AMD fan I suppose. I don't bias my replies to anything however, I just prefer AMD and their products. Buy whatever the H*CK you want. 

---QUOTE ME OR I WILL LIKELY NOT REPLY---

I doubt it. If they are PWM fans you could pull it off, but if they're just 3 pin I think the lowest they're supposed to go is 50%

But why can i change it with other software to any level i want? It still works so i'm very confused. Why is there such a safety reason installed and for what?

For example in MSI command center you can edit the files. It looks buggy but they still work.

M9kGYdX.jpg?1

But why can i change it with other software to any level i want? It still works so i'm very confused. Why is there such a safety reason installed and for what?

For example in MSI command center you can edit the files. It looks buggy but they still work.

M9kGYdX.jpg?1

it says right there the RPM range is 50% - 100%. You cant go below that because it is undervolting it which is horrible for it

CPU: INTEL Core i7 4790k @ 4.7Ghz - Cooling: NZXT Kraken X61 - Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X SLI - RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ares 2400mhz - GPU: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury 4G - Case: Phanteks P350X - PSU: EVGA 750GQ - Storage: WD Black 1TB - Fans: 2x Noctua NF-P14s (Push) / 2x Corsair AF140 (Pull) / 3x Corsair AF120 (Exhaust) - Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX Red - Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma

Bit of an AMD fan I suppose. I don't bias my replies to anything however, I just prefer AMD and their products. Buy whatever the H*CK you want. 

---QUOTE ME OR I WILL LIKELY NOT REPLY---

it says right there the RPM range is 50% - 100%. You cant go below that because it is undervolting it which is horrible for it

I'm using the the Noiseblocker Silentpro PK3's, the official site lists them going from 4volt to 12v. Some reviewers even mentioned they still work at 3.5V. 

I'm on 30% right now spinning at roughly 750 rpm, and they still work. So i geuss it's safe.

It's frustrating that i can't change that in my bios, or that i can find any reason why i can't or shouldn't.