Galaxy s2. Recommended Rom or Kernels for optimal battery life.

Go to solution Solved by Bubben,

As I've come to understand it the i9100 doesn't really have proper JB support from rom makers yet, and mhl (which I do require) is finicky at best on JB and ICS both so I'd rather wait until (if ever) the s2 gets some 'stable' JB releases, and start testing different roms then.

Things have been running fine since the stock JB release as far as I'm concerned, and the battery issue (that I found out was an actual thing) is supposed to be fixed, so the only thing I feel like I'm actually missing out on by not going with a custom rom is the 'cleanliness'. Things do seem 'cleanable' enough though so I think I'll manage. 

In conclusion.

I got the extended battery and I'll be sticking to the stock release on the latest Siyah beta kernel, for now.

Thanks for the replies.

First things first; I'm not a phone guy. Onwards.

Long story short. I recently rooted my s2 (i9100), things went well and I'm currently running RootBox 4.1 on a CyanogenMod kernel. I like the features and all but I could definitely survive without most of them, especially if it were to get me better battery life. So my question is whether there are any specific roms or kernels I should be looking at for this, and whether or not it might be beneficial to go with ics as opposed to jb?

honestly i find 4.2 has bad battery life if you care a lot about batery life go with android version 4.1.2 and i personally like slim bean

I found that ICS on my S2 was completely broken, and Jelly Bean was quite a lot better. Battery life was still terrible though, and none of the custom ROMs I've tried helped much. Only option I see is buying an extended battery on Amazon / Ebay.

Good luck :)

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

Coming from a Nexus S, I have always loved stock Android. When I've upgraded to a S2, I was constantly looking for a similar look and feel and at first, I was on Android 4.0.4 ICS: F1 GalaxyNexus | Pure Galaxy Nexus Experience.

Now I am currently on Android 4.2.2 JB: Android Open Kang Project (AOKP) - GT-I9100 - [JB-MR1], Build 6 for the official releases. It is not the latest available though.

Both builds mentioned above have been giving me great performance and battery life for my usage. No complains so far and I'm recommending them.

Q9400 + Xigmatek Gaia SD1283 | Asus P5G41T-M LX + Kingston DDR3 1333MHz 8GB

Sapphire HD5750 Vapor-X | Dell 2340L | Corsair HX650 (80+ Gold)

WD 1TB Black with Windows 7 Professional 64-bit | Antec 300 Three Hundred

honestly i find 4.2 has bad battery life if you care a lot about batery life go with android version 4.1.2 and i personally like slim bean

I'll probably try both ones I find a rom that I like, but better battery life on 4.1 doesn't seem to be the universal experience.

I found that ICS on my S2 was completely broken, and Jelly Bean was quite a lot better. Battery life was still terrible though, and none of the custom ROMs I've tried helped much. Only option I see is buying an extended battery on Amazon / Ebay.

Good luck :)

I haven't paid much attention to which version my s2 has been running up until recently, but there have definitely been updates that seemed more like one step forward and two steps back. JB has been running nicely though.

I'v been looking at the extended battery but I live in sweden so amazon.uk would be the last resort, but I think I'll be able to find it in stock somewhere :) 

Coming from a Nexus S, I have always loved stock Android. When I've upgraded to a S2, I was constantly looking for a similar look and feel and at first, I was on Android 4.0.4 ICS: F1 GalaxyNexus | Pure Galaxy Nexus Experience.

Now I am currently on Android 4.2.2 JB: Android Open Kang Project (AOKP) - GT-I9100 - [JB-MR1], Build 6 for the official releases. It is not the latest available though.

Both builds mentioned above have been giving me great performance and battery life for my usage. No complains so far and I'm recommending them.

The reason why I went with rootbox was because it's supposed to be pretty close to vanilla, only with a butt ton of customizability options (including a few from AOKP) and I figured it'd be a good place to start.

Which kernel do you use?

The reason why I went with rootbox was because it's supposed to be pretty close to vanilla, only with a butt ton of customizability options (including a few from AOKP) and I figured it'd be a good place to start.

Which kernel do you use?

From the about phone section:

3.0.31-CM-ga94557c

sethyx@rainbow #1

Tue Mar 26 12:33:35 CET 2013

Q9400 + Xigmatek Gaia SD1283 | Asus P5G41T-M LX + Kingston DDR3 1333MHz 8GB

Sapphire HD5750 Vapor-X | Dell 2340L | Corsair HX650 (80+ Gold)

WD 1TB Black with Windows 7 Professional 64-bit | Antec 300 Three Hundred

As I've come to understand it the i9100 doesn't really have proper JB support from rom makers yet, and mhl (which I do require) is finicky at best on JB and ICS both so I'd rather wait until (if ever) the s2 gets some 'stable' JB releases, and start testing different roms then.

Things have been running fine since the stock JB release as far as I'm concerned, and the battery issue (that I found out was an actual thing) is supposed to be fixed, so the only thing I feel like I'm actually missing out on by not going with a custom rom is the 'cleanliness'. Things do seem 'cleanable' enough though so I think I'll manage. 

In conclusion.

I got the extended battery and I'll be sticking to the stock release on the latest Siyah beta kernel, for now.

Thanks for the replies.

Hope it works out for you, man. :)

Let us know how it goes - I'm giving my S2 to my mother soon, and if the extended battery makes enough of a difference I might buy one for her.

I think my phone could actually handle two successive workdays now that I have the extended battery, and that's a huge step-up. So much infact that I'm starting to think that something is out of whack with my old battery.

Regardless; The extended battery is quite obviously what should've been included from the get go. The phone makes much more ergonomical sense with the extra bulk, and any case that isn't straight up molded plastic should still fit if you take the back cover off so I definitely recommend it :)

I think my phone could actually handle two successive workdays now that I have the extended battery, and that's a huge step-up. So much infact that I'm starting to think that something is out of whack with my old battery.

Regardless; The extended battery is quite obviously what should've been included from the get go. The phone makes much more ergonomical sense with the extra bulk, and any case that isn't straight up molded plastic should still fit if you take the back cover off so I definitely recommend it :)

Glad it's working well for you! I'll definitely be getting it for my old S2, now. :)

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff