Acer Predator X34 Gsync monitor

PeggersXtreme

Looks pretty bad I will try make my decision if I keep my XB270HU or take the risk and go with the x34 tough decision :(

Your not going to test it out and see if you got a solid one? Let me know if you go the LG route. I don't think the X34 is going to be good... people are already having multiple issues. If its not good for the average consumer then its not going to get a solid review. At least that's how I look at it. I want to wait and give Acer the benefit of the doubt and see what the reviewers say about it. People are already saying wait for the Asus one coming out next year, but if they are using the same exact panel/screen I don't see how it can be much better.. but then I could be wrong. Keep us updated @PeggersXtreme I want to know what route you take.

My backup plans was to either get the LG 34UC87 or the Acer XB270HU I went for the Acer but if I don't get a good one first time I will send it back for the LG

The Freesync version seems to be doing well but it's compatibility with Nvidia cards is shaky. I'm thinking about doing LG because I can't wait until thousands of units have been out before any of these issues have been fixed (if at all). 

Your not going to test it out and see if you got a solid one? Let me know if you go the LG route. I don't think the X34 is going to be good... people are already having multiple issues. If its not good for the average consumer then its not going to get a solid review. At least that's how I look at it. I want to wait and give Acer the benefit of the doubt and see what the reviewers say about it. People are already saying wait for the Asus one coming out next year, but if they are using the same exact panel/screen I don't see how it can be much better.. but then I could be wrong. Keep us updated @PeggersXtreme I want to know what route you take.

It all depends on if i'm blown away by 144hz or not If it doesn't impress me then I think I will return it for the LG but the UC87 not UC97 I prefer the stand on the UC87

Custom PC:

Intel Core i7 5960X GTX1080 Strix | 64gb 2400mhz DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Ram | Samsung S951 256gb M.2 | 4TB WD Blue SSHD | EVGA Supernova G2 1300watt PSU | Acer XB270HU | Corsair K95 RGB | Corsair M65 RGB |

The Freesync version seems to be doing well but it's compatibility with Nvidia cards is shaky. I'm thinking about doing LG because I can't wait until thousands of units have been out before any of these issues have been fixed (if at all). 

My issue is I don't know what my PC is capable of since I'm still building it should be done Wednesday well within the return window of the monitor so if I find I can get 60fps on most games at 3440x1440 then I might go with the LG. Any idea if 144hz will be that big of a deal?

Custom PC:

Intel Core i7 5960X GTX1080 Strix | 64gb 2400mhz DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Ram | Samsung S951 256gb M.2 | 4TB WD Blue SSHD | EVGA Supernova G2 1300watt PSU | Acer XB270HU | Corsair K95 RGB | Corsair M65 RGB |

@Ryzone have you experience 120/144hz or Ultrawide if so which do you prefer?

Custom PC:

My issue is I don't know what my PC is capable of since I'm still building it should be done Wednesday well within the return window of the monitor so if I find I can get 60fps on most games at 3440x1440 then I might go with the LG. Any idea if 144hz will be that big of a deal?

144hz is a game changer. Takes a while to get used to (I haven't personally used it myself but I've seen it) and once you use it, well it's hard going back. For a solid 60FPS you'll probably need a TI. I'm getting two for over 90+ in most games. Will suck if I go with LG at that point because my cards will be nerfed by the display.

@Ryzone have you experience 120/144hz or Ultrawide if so which do you prefer?

I have never experienced anything above 60hz. I use an old asus 24" 2ms display lol

other then my new tv thats 120hz haha but yeah nothing above 60hz for pc gaming

I just got a direct message from Acer on Twitter.  They are saying to expect the Predator x34 to be out in Mid- October to North America.  No price given.

Phanteks Enthoo Elite | Intel I9 - 7900X | Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme | MSI 1080 TI 

32Gb Dominator Platinum Special Edition Blackout 3200MHz  | Samsung 960 Pro | 2x Samsung 961 Pro (Raid 0) 256Gb M.2 SSD  

Samsung 850 Pro 512Gb | WD Black 4TB | Corsair AX1200i

144hz is a game changer. Takes a while to get used to (I haven't personally used it myself but I've seen it) and once you use it, well it's hard going back. For a solid 60FPS you'll probably need a TI. I'm getting two for over 90+ in most games. Will suck if I go with LG at that point because my cards will be nerfed by the display.

I have two Titan X's, 64gb Ram and a 5960X this is obviously overkill for gaming but this PC is mostly for content creation I play games casually but quite often I don't get serious with it and play just for fun in other words but I am stuck on picking the right display for me obviously if I could afford it I would have both a 144hz and the LG wall mounted above for Content creation and racing games.

Custom PC:

I have never experienced anything above 60hz. I use an old asus 24" 2ms display lol

other then my new tv thats 120hz haha but yeah nothing above 60hz for pc gaming

I'm still on the 16:10 train with a 1680x1050 monitor :P I just noticed your PC is quite similar to mine in terms of specs what is game performance like on yours? Can't wait to start using my new PC :)

Custom PC:

I'm still on the 16:10 train with a 1680x1050 monitor :P I just noticed your PC is quite similar to mine in terms of specs what is game performance like on yours? Can't wait to start using my new PC :)

Aww man everything is so butter smooth. My fps is through the roof like the couple of hundreds or more atleast, but gotta remember I'm on 1920x1080 super overkill for my display atm.. but thats why I was waiting for the x34 >.<

Aww man everything is so butter smooth. My fps is through the roof like the couple of hundreds or more atleast, but gotta remember I'm on 1920x1080 super overkill for my display atm.. but thats why I was waiting for the x34 >.<

My monitor has developed banding and dead pixels although it is 9 years old now got it in 2006 along with a AMD Athlon 64 CPU computer ^_^ But now I want to upgrade I don't think this display will last much longer and trying to choose between 144hz and the LG is so annoying if I bought a few months back I would have got the LG I was sold on it when I saw the video on Linus' channel but then I was put off by someone showing me cut scenes go tiny in the centre of the screen but apparently most games have now fixed this issue. Then I bought the Asus MG279Q that went back as it had severe backlight bleed and dead pixels so in that respect Asus is no better than Acer in the QC department. I think I will see if I got lucky and got a perfect XB270HU first time and if not then I will send it back and get the LG or if I get a perfect acer but the 144hz isn't a major difference to me then I will return for LG. When I had the MG279Q I didn't really notice any difference with 144hz and at one point the monitor actually set it self to 60hz and I didn't notice it had changed from the 144hz setting I only knew it changed when I went to the NVidia control panel but then I only had it a few days so maybe more time is required to get a proper view of it.

Custom PC:

@Ryzone even on my build log designs I put the LG on the desk in the sketch up's

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409709-custom-desk-build-project-yellow-panther :)

Custom PC:

Just seen another post about terrible coil wine on the x34 not looking like a good monitor

Custom PC:

@Metro a release has been set for the Asus ultrawide Gsync for Decemeber source -

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-089-AS&groupid=17&catid=2908

Custom PC:

I have two Titan X's, 64gb Ram and a 5960X this is obviously overkill for gaming but this PC is mostly for content creation I play games casually but quite often I don't get serious with it and play just for fun in other words but I am stuck on picking the right display for me obviously if I could afford it I would have both a 144hz and the LG wall mounted above for Content creation and racing games.

Currently, the TIs are actually a better card for 1440P. That being said, it's way overboard for gaming and should be able to land you 90-100FPS quite easily with everything maxed. I agree with that sentiment, but I'm going with two different computers for that very reason: a 5930 rig as a workstation for virtualization and audio production and a regular 4790k for gaming.

The size is what does it for me. I have a 27" Asus IPS that's great but 60hz is killing me. I wouldn't care so much even for Gsync so long as I had high refresh rates. 

I did consider BenQ's offering for that Reason 144hz ultrawide the downside is it's only 2560x1080 and at 35" that will just look awful.

Custom PC:

If you can deal with the smaller size Asus is going to be releasing the Asus PG279Q, 144HZ, IPS, Gsync, 2560x1440P and 27". It won't have the "oo and aa" of a widescreen but if you can trust Asus's quality it should at least be top notch when it comes out. I suppose I could stick with my regular 1440P until that comes out...

If you can deal with the smaller size Asus is going to be releasing the Asus PG279Q, 144HZ, IPS, Gsync, 2560x1440P and 27". It won't have the "oo and aa" of a widescreen but if you can trust Asus's quality it should at least be top notch when it comes out. I suppose I could stick with my regular 1440P until that comes out...

My XB270HU is arriving today at some point it out for delivery according to amazon unfortunately here in the UK we don't have PC stores that actually have displays on show to try out or at least not good ones they have run of the mill 60hz TN panels but who cares for them lol

Custom PC:

My XB270HU is arriving today at some point it out for delivery according to amazon unfortunately here in the UK we don't have PC stores that actually have displays on show to try out or at least not good ones they have run of the mill 60hz TN panels but who cares for them lol

I wouldn't trust a display in a store anyway since they usually boost settings and make it ultra vibrant to get you to buy it. Colors look like ass when you get home though since it's configured for bright fluorescent lighting at a store front. They do this with TV's all the time, but yes, seeing it in person and testing the controls, the stand quality, etc. would help in making a decision.

I've constantly run into this issue where people tell me to try headphones but with no way to listen to them (very limited headphone shops around) then it's hard to get a feel for that. 

I wouldn't trust a display in a store anyway since they usually boost settings and make it ultra vibrant to get you to buy it. Colors look like ass when you get home though since it's configured for bright fluorescent lighting at a store front. They do this with TV's all the time, but yes, seeing it in person and testing the controls, the stand quality, etc. would help in making a decision.

I've constantly run into this issue where people tell me to try headphones but with no way to listen to them (very limited headphone shops around) then it's hard to get a feel for that. 

When it comes to headphones I always find it easier now I have tried a few brands and from now on Sennheiser all the way :) Never buying beats again I bought them to find out what the hype was about and regretted it after 7 months the ear cups fell off :/ so I returned them got some Sennheisers and have now had them 18 month still working like new :) but displays are so hard to choose so many things to factor in (resolution, refresh, ports, stands etc.)

Custom PC:

When it comes to headphones I always find it easier now I have tried a few brands and from now on Sennheiser all the way :) Never buying beats again I bought them to find out what the hype was about and regretted it after 7 months the ear cups fell off :/ so I returned them got some Sennheisers and have now had them 18 month still working like new :) but displays are so hard to choose so many things to factor in (resolution, refresh, ports, stands etc.)

The ASUS PG348Q is up for pre order on Overclockers, I think I will get it.

GPU[Two GTX 980ti Lightnings overclocked]-CPU[Core i7 5930K, 4.4Ghz]-Motherboard[MSI X99 Godlike]-Case[Corsair 780t Black]-RAM[32GB Corsair Dominator 3000Mhz Light bars]-Storage[samsung 950 Pro 512GB, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB and Samsung 850 Pro 512GB]-CPU Cooler[EK Predator 360mm]-PSU[EVGA 1600w T2 Individual cables Red]-Monitor[ASUS PG348Q]-Keyboard[Corsair K70 Red]-Mouse[Corsair M65 RGB]-Headset[sennheiser G4me one]-Case Fans[beQuiet Silent Wings 2]

The ASUS PG348Q is up for pre order on Overclockers, I think I will get it.

Before you go ahead and pre order it though, just keep in mind it could have exactly the same QC issues that put you off the x34, and also it's unclear right now which design Asus have actually ended up going for, this is the original (The nice one imo):

MO-089-AS_117038_350.jpg

And this is the one that has been floating around since and from IFA 2015: 

rogcurvedback.jpg

Note all the 'cooper' look instead of the original black 

And not to mention the Asus one being £200 more expensive on those pre orders than the Acer. 

I'm not saying you should get the Acer, or avoid the Asus, I would just avoid pre ordering if I were you. 

i5 4690k | GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | 16GB RAM | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | NZXT Kraken X61 | 850 EVO 250GB x2  | 1TB 850 Evo NZXT Noctis 450 | EVGA 750W 80+ Gold

Ducky Shine 3 TKL (Browns) | LG 34UC87C | Logitech MX Master ATH-M50x's + DT990 Pro's 

Before you go ahead and pre order it though, just keep in mind it could have exactly the same QC issues that put you off the x34, and also it's unclear right now which design Asus have actually ended up going for, this is the original (The nice one imo):

MO-089-AS_117038_350.jpg

And this is the one that has been floating around since and from IFA 2015: 

rogcurvedback.jpg

Note all the 'cooper' look instead of the original black 

And not to mention the Asus one being £200 more expensive on those pre orders than the Acer. 

I'm not saying you should get the Acer, or avoid the Asus, I would just avoid pre ordering if I were you. 

Well ACER seems to have many problems at the moment and ASUS does better QC than ACER and I want one of the monitors, so it will have to be ASUS, I know what you are saying but I can always cancel my pre order, it seems Overclockers are the only ones that can list the monitor till 1 month after release

GPU[Two GTX 980ti Lightnings overclocked]-CPU[Core i7 5930K, 4.4Ghz]-Motherboard[MSI X99 Godlike]-Case[Corsair 780t Black]-RAM[32GB Corsair Dominator 3000Mhz Light bars]-Storage[samsung 950 Pro 512GB, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB and Samsung 850 Pro 512GB]-CPU Cooler[EK Predator 360mm]-PSU[EVGA 1600w T2 Individual cables Red]-Monitor[ASUS PG348Q]-Keyboard[Corsair K70 Red]-Mouse[Corsair M65 RGB]-Headset[sennheiser G4me one]-Case Fans[beQuiet Silent Wings 2]

Well ACER seems to have many problems at the moment and ASUS does better QC than ACER and I want one of the monitors, so it will have to be ASUS, I know what you are saying but I can always cancel my pre order, it seems Overclockers are the only ones that can list the monitor till 1 month after release

The RoG Swift and the MG279Q have both had QC issues just like the Acer alternatives have, I think it's more down to the display technology than the companies themselves.

But yeah I guess you can always cancel if needs be, personally I think I'm giving up on this 'wave' of ultrawide displays w/ g sync, I'm going to pick up the LG 34UC87 for about £600 then in 2 years if I feel the need I'll buy a higher refresh rate g sync enabled display. 

Or I'll see how OLED technology has progressed in the sense of longevity and I'll consider waiting it out for one of them.  

i5 4690k | GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | 16GB RAM | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | NZXT Kraken X61 | 850 EVO 250GB x2  | 1TB 850 Evo NZXT Noctis 450 | EVGA 750W 80+ Gold

Ducky Shine 3 TKL (Browns) | LG 34UC87C | Logitech MX Master ATH-M50x's + DT990 Pro's