Zotac GTX460 SE problem

Hey everybody,

My friend has a GTX460 SE for a couple of years now. Had no problems at all, then all of a sudden while gaming there was a huge fps drop and then some strange artifacts appeared. Rebooting the system solved the problem for the first time. Upon second boot the next morning drivers crashed and failed to recover.

Today I tried to boot the PC but it never would, after Windows loading, it would always bluescreen and restart immediately, so no luck in reading what's wrong. PC only starts in safe mode and there are no lags neither there are any artifacts present. I uninstalled new drivers and looked thorough nVidia's driver history and downloaded the stable one (the one before GTA V driver). It managed to boot normally but it doesn't show any info about GPU. Not in the device manager, not even in Afterburner. GPU was never overclocked and temperatures were around 65-70 degrees, which is pretty normal.

I opened the card and haven't noticed any dust, cracks or something that would raise my suspicion, so I believe it has to be software failure. 

P.S. The Windows is clean, it's a complete fresh install after formatting both partitions. So malware is out of question too.

Any ideas?

check card temps in MSI afterburner, and see how hot it gets, also check CPU temps while you're at it 

Early 2020 Build : Intel i7 8700k // MSI Krait Z370 // Corsair LPX 8x2 16GB // Aorus 5700 XT // NZXT H500 

Early 2019 Build : Ryzen 2600X // Asus Tuff X470 // G.Skill Trident Z RGB 8x2 16GB // MSI RTX 2070 // NZXT H500 

Late 2017 Build : Intel i7 8700k // Asus Prime Z370-A // G.Skill Trident Z 8x2 16GB // EVGA GTX 1080 Ti  // NZXT S320 Elite 

Late 2015 Build : Intel i7 6700k // Asus Maximus VI Gene Z170 //  Corsair LPX 8x2 16GB // Gigabyte GTX 970 // Corsair Air 240

Hey everybody,

My friend has a GTX460 SE for a couple of years now. Had no problems at all, then all of a sudden while gaming there was a huge fps drop and then some strange artifacts appeared. Rebooting the system solved the problem for the first time. Upon second boot the next morning drivers crashed and failed to recover.

Today I tried to boot the PC but it never would, after Windows loading, it would always bluescreen and restart immediately, so no luck in reading what's wrong. PC only starts in safe mode and there are no lags neither there are any artifacts present. I uninstalled new drivers and looked thorough nVidia's driver history and downloaded the stable one (the one before GTA V driver). It managed to boot normally but it doesn't show any info about GPU. Not in the device manager, not even in Afterburner. GPU was never overclocked and temperatures were around 65-70 degrees, which is pretty normal.

I opened the card and haven't noticed any dust, cracks or something that would raise my suspicion, so I believe it has to be software failure. 

P.S. The Windows is clean, it's a complete fresh install after formatting both partitions. So malware is out of question too.

Any ideas?

Try replacing the Thermal Paste and Thermal Pads, it could be possbily overheating if the idle temp is 65-70.

Try replacing the Thermal Paste and Thermal Pads, it could be possbily overheating if the idle temp is 65-70.

Forgot to mention, 65-70 under load (gaming for example).

check card temps in MSI afterburner, and see how hot it gets, also check CPU temps while you're at it 

Not possible, since, as I stated before, Afterburner can't recognize what card is plugged in, because drivers crash all the time.

You could try it in another PC but it sounds more like hardware failure to me.

Now that I think of it, maybe it overheated once and it caused some sort of microcrack or something. I can't be sure since it's not my PC.