Pc Taking too much power from the wall

Go to solution Solved by Boink,

There are two solutions that I can think of

1: Find out which circuit that computer is on (though you should probably know given that you have to reset the breaker every time) then move your computer so it's on a different one.

2: Get an electrician to upgrade the wiring on the circuit that keeps tripping. This is much more complicated than simply upgrading the breaker because the wires in the circuit itself have to be rated for the amperage of the breaker. If they aren't, you will be flirting with a fire hazard.

I actually never had this issue before hand, but ever since I added a second card (A power-hungry GTX 580) the whole upstairs shorts out and powers down the computer and the wifi with it. I was wondering if it was possible to somehow fix this; Maybe getting someone out here to fix whatever the issue is. I'm only about pulling 700 Watts from the wall... Oh and I do fold@home 24/7.. and I cannot let that continue to fail

Yes the computer is eating through 700W with both GPU's Pinned at 100% and the CPU pinned at 100% 24/7. 

I might also add, I have 2 network switches, 3 monitors, all the Wifi components, a desk lamp, and all that. if that helps at least

Edited by BrandonTheCat

How many watts is your psu? Getting a new and also more efficient psu might help.

Happy to help with any tech problems. Windows 10 installing guide here.
----i5 4570s----gigabyte z97x-sli----8gb ddr3----gigabyte g1 gaming 960----HAF 912----120gb ssd----1tb hdd----500w evga----

Move to another room or look at the rail your rooms power is on, should be 15 amp or close 1300 watts, about the same as a badass heater. Honestly don't mess with house wiring, electricity travels at the speed of light (kinda) kills you and hurts the whole time.

How many watts is your psu? Getting a new and also more efficient psu might help.

Its an AX1200i from Corsair.

Got it for like $200 on black friday  B) 

Its an AX1200 from Corsair.

Got it for like $200 on black friday  

Well, shit. I don't know what else to tell you other than contact an electrician.

Happy to help with any tech problems. Windows 10 installing guide here.
----i5 4570s----gigabyte z97x-sli----8gb ddr3----gigabyte g1 gaming 960----HAF 912----120gb ssd----1tb hdd----500w evga----

Well, shit. I don't know what else to tell you other than contact an electrician.

really have to, schooling is long and the tools arent cheep.

1: Find out which circuit that computer is on (though you should probably know given that you have to reset the breaker every time) then move your computer so it's on a different one.

2: Get an electrician to upgrade the wiring on the circuit that keeps tripping. This is much more complicated than simply upgrading the breaker because the wires in the circuit itself have to be rated for the amperage of the breaker. If they aren't, you will be flirting with a fire hazard.

I've built 3 PC's, but none for myself... In fact, I'm using an iMac that my dad bought for me as my desktop. Awkward...

Please don't say "SSD drive." By doing so, you are literally saying "Solid State Drive Drive" and causing my brain cells to commit suicide. The same applies to HDD (Hard Disk Drive) and PCIe (Peripheral Component Interconnect Express).

Move to another room or look at the rail your rooms power is on, should be 15 amp or close 1300 watts, about the same as a badass heater. Honestly don't mess with house wiring, electricity travels at the speed of light (kinda) kills you and hurts the whole time.

I wasn't expecting to mess with any wiring and if I was, I would probably contact an electrician. Fun fact, We were doing a LAN sorta thing with our neighbors, and My computer went into folding mode overnight, and actually took out most of the plugs with it. So... I don't know. 

Ill work on that tomorrow. Thanks for the help!

I wasn't expecting to mess with any wiring and if I was, I would probably contact an electrician. Fun fact, We were doing a LAN sorta thing with our neighbors, and My computer went into folding mode overnight, and actually took out most of the plugs with it. So... I don't know. i

is your house old or new/ apartment?

LIVE FREE, SKATE FREE OR DIE....I PROMISE NOT TO BUY AMD PRODUCTS I WILL NOT BUY AMD PRODUCTS .

is your house old or new/ apartment?

I think it was built in 2013, so new stuff. It was even preinstalled with google fiber when I got here so thats good. I'll also add that this doesnt happen immediately, It happens after around 2-3 days

That power supply needs a minimum of a 10A breaker to make 1200W. 120V x 10A = 1200W. Either you have a 5A breaker or some other weak sauce breaker and need an upgrade (I recommend an electrician if you don't know specifically what you're doing), or something is wrong with your PSU, or there are too many other electronics running on the same breaker.

I think it was built in 2013, so new stuff. It was even preinstalled with google fiber when I got here so thats good. I'll also add that this doesnt happen immediately, It happens after around 2-3 days

are hooking up to just one outlet?

LIVE FREE, SKATE FREE OR DIE....I PROMISE NOT TO BUY AMD PRODUCTS I WILL NOT BUY AMD PRODUCTS .

i have more stuff hooked to my outlet than you and no shorten for me, but i had a similar issues at friends house and he a gtx 570 in sli .but we found out his room can't handle more than 500 watts without tripping the breaker so we had to use a extension chord from the garage and too his room. 

i have more stuff hooked to my outlet than you and no shorten for me, but i had a similar issues at friends house and he a gtx 570 in sli .but we found out his room can't handle more than 500 watts without tripping the breaker so we had to use a extension chord from the garage and too his room. 

Thats something a little extreme, But sounds like an issue I have. Was wondering If I could get a higher wattage plug in the room that has the computer.