Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Speedbird

I need a better hypervisor

I thought it did, or I would not have mentioned. My bad.

I've heard that there is a way to use it with VMWare NAT. I guess I'll try that. I was going to upgrade to 10 Pro anyway at launch.

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hello.

So, I have been using VMWare Workstation 11 for quite some time now, and it's a little... unstable. Sometimes it stops responding, and refues to close. Sometimes I cannot open Task Manager to kill it, and it can sometimes crash Explorer too, forcing me to hit the reset button and kill all my running VMs. So, I need something better. It needs to have some NAT capability, good performance, and most of all, good stability. I am using Windows 8.1 Core, so Hyper-V isn't an option.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.
Am I getting an actually new card or is it just a rebrand? Find out here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/222806-what-rx-200-series-card-is-what-7000-series-card/

The only other one I know is VirtualBox. I'm not sure about Citrix, they should have a VM player too..

Virtualbox didn't have good performance. This is why I switched to VMWare.

Am I getting an actually new card or is it just a rebrand? Find out here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/222806-what-rx-200-series-card-is-what-7000-series-card/

Have you tried considered getting a Pro license and using Hyper-V? I understand you said it wasn't a option, but I have pro and use it. It works well, though I don't live in VM environments, I just dabble. The cost difference shouldn't be too much, especially if you use that softwareswap thread that I keep seeing people mention.

CPU: Core i7 4970K | MOBO: Asus Z87 Pro | RAM: 32GBs of G.Skill Ares 1866 | GPU: MSI GAMING X GTX 1070 | STOR: 2 X Crucial BX100 250GB, 2 x WD Blk 1TB (mirror),WD Blk 500GB | CASE: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced | PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA G2 750W | COOL: Cooler Master Hyper T4 | DISP: 21" 1080P POS | KB: MS Keyboard | MAU5: Redragon NEMEANLION | MIC: Snowball Blue | OS: Win 8.1 Pro x64, (Working on Arch for dual boot) |

Have you tried considered getting a Pro license and using Hyper-V? I understand you said it wasn't a option, but I have pro and use it. It works well, though I don't live in VM environments, I just dabble. The cost difference shouldn't be too much, especially if you use that softwareswap thread that I keep seeing people mention.

I have thought about it, but the problem wit Hyper-V is that it doesn't have any NAT functionality. I have tried it, and lack of NAT was the only problem I had with it.

Virtualbox didn't have good performance. This is why I switched to VMWare.

The new VirtualBox 5.0 beta have much better graphics and paravirtualization performance.

I have thought about it, but the problem wit Hyper-V is that it doesn't have any NAT functionality. I have tried it, and lack of NAT was the only problem I had with it.

CPU: Core i7 4970K | MOBO: Asus Z87 Pro | RAM: 32GBs of G.Skill Ares 1866 | GPU: MSI GAMING X GTX 1070 | STOR: 2 X Crucial BX100 250GB, 2 x WD Blk 1TB (mirror),WD Blk 500GB | CASE: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced | PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA G2 750W | COOL: Cooler Master Hyper T4 | DISP: 21" 1080P POS | KB: MS Keyboard | MAU5: Redragon NEMEANLION | MIC: Snowball Blue | OS: Win 8.1 Pro x64, (Working on Arch for dual boot) |

Posted · Original PosterOP · Best Answer

I've heard that there is a way to use it with VMWare NAT. I guess I'll try that. I was going to upgrade to 10 Pro anyway at launch.