Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
v3nture

Recommended Phones for Music Playback?

Posted · Original PosterOP

My 1st gen ipod touch finally kicked the bucket so I need a replacement for while I work.

• Not too huge (less than 5.5 inches in length ideally)
  • at least 8 hours continuous music playback(probably not hard to hit)
  • Custom roms/rooting is a plus
  • Durable
  • around $400 or less
  • Lots of storage space (microsd or whatever the hell it is)

The majority of my use will be listening to music while I work. Something like the Zenfone 2 is just too big. The Moto X has been recommended to me and is right in line with what I would expect to pay for a phone.

Z3 Compact?

apparently in canada z3 compact is expensive as hell. it's 350 eur in eu.   :lol:

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

Xeon 1230v2, B75 Pro3-M, 16GB Crucial Ballistix, Msi TF GTX760, Crucial M500, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, CM G550M, Fractal Arc Mini.

One Plus One :D?

Unless 64GB isn't enough storage :P

Wanted Build: i5 4690K, Z97-A, Vengeance 16GB, Samsung 256GB SSD, 980TI, Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX

Keyboard: Blackwidow Chroma Mouse: G502 Headset: Skullcandy PLYR 2 Phone: Samsung S6 Edge Tablet: iPad 2

Investing in becoming a Logitech fanboi?

Sweet. I was going to reccomend something like my Moto G, and since you said that you've heard of the Moto X, I think that's what you should go for. My Moto G has fantastic battery life, and the Moto X's is just about the same. Performance, screen quality, and build quality are all very similar, so the Moto X fits your requirements.

But my actual recommendation is for you to look into the OnePlus One. It's got Cyanogen, so rooting/custom roms aren't necessary :P It's also got better specs than the Moto X, so that's something else to consider.

The Oneplus One is exactly 5.5 inches, so that's up to you.

|  Athlon 750K   |   EVGA GTX 750 Ti FTW  |  Acer Aspire E15 - i5 6200u, 940M  |

|  Sennheiser HD 518   |   FiiO E10K DAC and Amp  |

Moto G (1st Gen)

Do you have to stick to Android or is WP an option? Because I've been thinking about picking up the Lumia 635 + a 128GB microSD card as a music player alongside with my Xperia Z3 Compact as a work phone.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msca/en_CA/pdp/Microsoft-Lumia-635--Unlocked/productID.306800900

/// POLICE ASSAULT IN PROGRESS ///

Sweet. I was going to reccomend something like my Moto G, and since you said that you've heard of the Moto X, I think that's what you should go for. My Moto G has fantastic battery life, and the Moto X's is just about the same. Performance, screen quality, and build quality are all very similar, so the Moto X fits your requirements.

The thing keeping me from going with the Moto x is that I would like more than 16gb of space. Its the amount I use currently I would just prefer more.

Do you have to stick to Android or is WP an option? Because I've been thinking about picking up the Lumia 635 + a 128GB microSD card as a music player alongside with my Xperia Z3 Compact as a work phone.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msca/en_CA/pdp/Microsoft-Lumia-635--Unlocked/productID.306800900

I was looking at the 630 as well. I dont know how much of an improvement the 635 is over it but 630 as a phone seems rather weak. You get what you pay for I guess. However, as a music device it would probably be really solid.

Im going to have to look into the oneplus one more.

Any other recommendations?

As Sleath said I would also recommend the moto g. Just make sure you either get the 2nd generation or the 4g variant as they have a microsd. They are very durable, I have one myself and the build quality is amazing for the price. If you were you I would get the moto g 4g 1st generation due to superior battery life however. The oneplus one is also an option, and has much better specs than the moto g and is obviously more expensive 

Just make sure you either get the 2nd generation or the 4g variant as they have a microsd. They are very durable, I have one myself and the build quality is amazing 

Good to know that the moto g has microsd expansion. Does the moto x have microsd expansion?

Good to know that the moto g has microsd expansion. Does the moto x have microsd expansion?

Nope neither of them have microsd expansion :/

I'd have to second the Z3 Compact. Do you live anywhere near the border? You can get it from Amazon pretty cheap, or if you look in your local classifieds someone might be selling a new one they got with a contract upgrade. It's probably the best battery life you'll get.

Moto G is also a great choice, however a lower specced device if that matters to you at all.

You should also consider a used excellent condition HTC One M8. Or sometimes you can find new ones for excellent deals.

The OnePlus One is a pretty big device, but honestly they're really easy to get used to. If you're considering getting that one though just wait. The OnePlus Two is coming out soon.

Also, they're more expensive in Canada. Something to keep in mind.

If you were to go with a phone that large you might as well go with the Zenfone 2. Same size, and you save around $120.

Keep in mind we have yet to see the new Moto X, OnePlus 2, Moto G, Nexus 2015's, and a couple other devices that look rather promising.

The Oneplus One is exactly 5.5 inches, so that's up to you.

Physically the OnePlus is 6"...so a bit bigger than he was wanting.

Current PC:

Spoiler

*WORK IN PROGRESS*

Mothballed PC:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Headphones or speakers? 

The Z3 Compact is great, but there's also the HTC One M8, but that might be a bit too big. 

Please tag me if you need assistance or if you want me to contribute to a topic 

The Workhorse

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GeForce RTX 2070 S 8GB | 32GB DDR4-3200 | 512GB SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Barracuda Compute | Windows 10 64-bit

Samsung Galaxy Note8 SM-N950F

Exynos 8895 (4x Mongoose @ 2.3GHz, 4x Cortex A53 @ 1.7GHz)ARM Mali G71 MP20 | 6GB LPDDR4 | 64GB Samsung NAND flash w/ UFS 2.1 dual-lane controller + 128GB SanDisk C10 UHS-I microSD | 6.3" 1440p "Infinity Display" AMOLED | Android Pie 9.0 w/ OneUI

If you are a prime user: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OC0USA6?ref_=gbsl_tit_l-1_4822_9436fa74&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

At the worst, it's a $60 backup phone you can use on wifi. At best, it's a $60 phone that you can use....like a phone. 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

I updated the op with a $400 budget. I really cant justify any more for a device thats main purpose for me will be for music. Right now leaning towards the Moto G 2nd gen. Fairly cheap, support for a 32gb micro SD.

Willing to hear more recommendations.

Anyone have any experience with the Sony Xperia M4 Aqua? Similarly priced to the Moto G but offers up to 128gb microsd expansion which is why I'm looking at it.

The one review I read seems to give it good review.

Anyone have any experience with the Sony Xperia M4 Aqua? Similarly priced to the Moto G but offers up to 128gb microsd expansion which is why I'm looking at it.

The one review I read seems to give it good review.

M4 Aqua is a great choice. However, there's also the Alcatel OneTouch Idol 3, if you're willing to trade off waterproofing for slightly better sound quality.

"Rawr XD"

M4 Aqua is a great choice. However, there's also the Alcatel OneTouch Idol 3, if you're willing to trade off waterproofing for slightly better sound quality.

I second the Idol 3. It's pretty good for a midranger.

And this isn't the old Alcatel that we used to hate so much. This is actually a proper competitive smartphone.

Please tag me if you need assistance or if you want me to contribute to a topic 

The Workhorse

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GeForce RTX 2070 S 8GB | 32GB DDR4-3200 | 512GB SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Barracuda Compute | Windows 10 64-bit

Samsung Galaxy Note8 SM-N950F

Exynos 8895 (4x Mongoose @ 2.3GHz, 4x Cortex A53 @ 1.7GHz)ARM Mali G71 MP20 | 6GB LPDDR4 | 64GB Samsung NAND flash w/ UFS 2.1 dual-lane controller + 128GB SanDisk C10 UHS-I microSD | 6.3" 1440p "Infinity Display" AMOLED | Android Pie 9.0 w/ OneUI