Headset recomendations Astro A40, Sennheiser PC350 or.....

Aviince

Just snapped my old Turtle beach head set and looking to upgrade to something within the price range of 200-300 was looking at both the Astro A40's and Sennheiser PC350 as the title suggests any thoughts or anything similar that yous recommend.

I currently have a Asus Xonar D2X sound card.

Thanks in Advance

out of those two, i prefer the PC350 but id rather get some nice headphones instead

Im open to suggestions was also thinking of crossfae LP's from Vmoda

Don't get the A40's the game and Mic volume automatically adjust depending on in game action. It causes really annoying fluctuations for all the peoples.

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

$300 gets you a huge range of headphones that would be miles better than the Astro A40. Give us some more info on the sort of sound you're after, whether you like open or closed etc.

Headset

They will be used mostly for Gaming (FPS's and moba's mostly) and music mostly Metal and Rock.

I dont mind weather its open or closed and not opposed to getting a headphone instead of a headset if it gives me a decent improvement in sound over cost

Thanks for reply's

Your soundcard is man enough to power a good range of headphones so I would certainly suggest going for a headphone and getting a clip on or desktop mic of some kind. The quality of headphones at this price level should be much higher than most gaming headsets unless you really like 'real' 5.1/7.1. Noticed you're in Australia so not sure if you can get these or whether they are in price range but a few I would suggest are the Sony MA-900, AKG Q701 or K550, Soundmagic HP100, Audio Technica AD-900X.

All would be certainly ones to look at as they are fairly new models, though it would help if you can test some for yourself in a local store because your own preference could be different.

Headset

Thanks for the reply not really a fan of "real surround" in a headset anyway will check those out for the time being stole the 7.2 from the lounge room and glued the thing together while making my choice altho this surround system might stay in this room lol

• 4 weeks later...

Ended up going for a set of sennheiser HD558 and dusting off my old desk mic found it on special at a store while at Soundwave!!!!! scored for $150 AU so a bit under what i was looking at but they sound pretty awesome cheers for advise and trying to steer me away from headsets lol....

can you do the HD558 -> HD598 mod or was that only for the HD555 -> HD595?

It involved removing a piece of foam from the inside of the grill.

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

both have the foam mod. great purchase. i did enjoy the HD558. bought a HD598 and dont regret it. the 558 and 598 have to be the most comfortable in the price range imo.