Is RGB Getting Out of Hand?

REX.exe

So with the release of the new MSI X99 GODLIKE we have been introduced into a whole new LEVEL of motherboards...and stupidity.

It's RGB...

RGB is something that most of us like and have come to appreciate when trying to color match our system. It also helps manufacturers sell more of their products as it opens up their product to all of those who are limited to a certain color. But I'm starting to feel as if everyone is taking this feature out of hand. 

We have mainly seen RGB on things like CPU Coolers, GPU Coolers (Yes, I know the G1 isn't FULL RGB, but you get the idea) and mostly peripherals. This is mainly because they are the main components for aesthetics. But bringing motherboards into this list may be amazing. Or it may not...Of course, RGB lighting will definitely come with a high premium. The X99 GODLIKE is living proof of this. So this may move buyers away from these boards.

Also, MSI decided it would be a good idea to make a board RGB. Then make the physical color of the board 75% red, what the actual fuq? I honestly think that MSI has done a TERRIBLE job introducing this new feature to the motherboard range and should be quite disappointed. The LEDs on the bored also look horrible and will make the REST of the board look bad (the rest looks good) if set to anything BUT red. Ugh.

So what do you think about this new board and just the whole idea of RGB? Do you think there should be RGB on all components eventually, or are you sick of it already?

I personally feel like RGB should not be introduced to motherboards. Instead, make more motherboards of more unique colors. MSI for example makes pretty much ONE color of board (besides Krait and MPower ones). Which annoy me when I want to build a system out of that scheme. Asrock also makes just red and blue ones. Asus is pretty much the only brand that has a board for each color.

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate RAM: Kingston Fury White Series 8GB SSD: OCZ 100 ARC 240GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition Graphics Card: Powercolor PCS+ R9 390 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) Power Supply: EVGA G2 750W Monitor: LG 29UM67-P 29" 21:9 Freesync Sexiness Mouse: Razer Deathadder ChromKeyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2014 Headset: Turtle Beach Ear Force XP400

I absolutely disagree. We need more RGB stuff. Although I do agree that making the mobo RGB and then mostly one color, is stupid. If anything, it should be RGB on a black motherboard. (maybe white)

Now if only GPU manufacturers would make the side logo's that are illuminated, RGB instead of set colors.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Making the same motherboard in X number of colors is a pain. Slapping some RGB on it and letting the buyer decide what color it should be makes more sense for manufacturers

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

I think it should make it's way to all components. For choice. So you can have a very unique setup. Even if you have the same parts as someone else

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

Yes.

CMYK master race!

/jk

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

As long as you can turn off the RGB lighting its a great thing

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

No everything should be rgb. Having the ability to customize your colors without painting and voiding warratys is awesome.

RGB should only be used on motherboards that are completely black (like with many ASRock boards) or completely white.

expand that to greyscale

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

So what do you think about this new board and just the whole idea of RGB? Do you think there should be RGB on all components eventually, or are you sick of it already?

Lots of people like the choice of RGB, if I could have a whole build of compnents with RGB, then if you had gone with a whole build colour scheme you could change it if you got sick of it or wanted to suit a new case.

If you dont like it, then dont buy it, doesnt mean its necessarily bad. There will always be different variants of things, this is just an extra feature so go for the model below or whatever which does the same shit without the RGB. If people want to pay for it, let them.

My Rigs:

Gaming/CAD/Rendering Rig
Case:
 Corsair Air 240 , CPU: i7-4790K, Mobo: ASUS Gryphon Z97 mATX,  GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970, RAM: G.Skill Sniper 16GB, SSD: SAMSUNG 1TB 840 EVO, Cooling: Corsair H80i PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/f2TH99SFF HTPC
Case:
Silverstone ML06B, CPU: Pentium G3258, Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H97N-WiFi, RAM: G.Skill 4GB, SSD: Kingston SSDNow 120GB PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/JmZ8TW

Damn nature, you vicious! This mobo looks like a fucking stalion. Love the raw and brute design.

I'm all about that RGB  life

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s

I was perfectly happy with one color of LED :P But the things you can do with RGB keyboards is pretty cool, like reactive touch typing and waves but thats about it IMO.

And yeh about the Godlike MSI branded board, their marketing team is pretty dumb if you ask me.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

I like it. For me I think the only colour lighting that doesn't look too gaudy is white and, while not rare, it's not the easiest to come across. I'll certainly take another look at the G1 now it's not necessarily blue lit.

Making the same motherboard in X number of colors is a pain. Slapping some RGB on it and letting the buyer decide what color it should be makes more sense for manufacturers

I can understand that. But MSI hasn't set a good example at this. making their board RGB. Then also make it Red. So it's basically red or a wierd mix of colors.

I absolutely disagree. We need more RGB stuff. Although I do agree that making the mobo RGB and then mostly one color, is stupid. If anything, it should be RGB on a black motherboard. (maybe white)

Now if only GPU manufacturers would make the side logo's that are illuminated, RGB instead of set colors.

I agree with this. The G1 Gaming logo is a pain for the 970/980. So I'm glad to see it's now customizable on the 980Ti. Shame the shroud is silver.

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate RAM: Kingston Fury White Series 8GB SSD: OCZ 100 ARC 240GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition Graphics Card: Powercolor PCS+ R9 390 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) Power Supply: EVGA G2 750W Monitor: LG 29UM67-P 29" 21:9 Freesync Sexiness Mouse: Razer Deathadder ChromKeyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2014 Headset: Turtle Beach Ear Force XP400

expand that to greyscale

And blue, red,yellow green, and orange too. Because a red white and blue motherboard would be freedom as f***

RGB has its place, but only when done well.

In this case, it more of an afterthought, as the motherboard would not be all red if the rgb was a critical part of the design...

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

~turnip~

Razer has an RGB MOUSE-FREAKING-PAD.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

I like RGB don't get me wrong. I just think that the delivery of RGB into motherboards could have been executed A LOT better by MSI.

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

There's people who can afford it. 

then there's OP. Stop being poor OP. Join the master race. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

It will get out of hand once there will be RGB dildos.

Unless...

Rainbow_10_scaled.gif

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

I just disable the LEDs on anything I own :3, too ricer for me.

System specs
  • Graphics card: Asus GTX 980 Ti (Temp target: 60c, fan speed: slow as hell)
  • CPU: Intel 6700k @ 4.2Ghz
  • CPU Heatsink: ThermalRight Silver Arrow Extreme
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus Viii Gene
  • Ram: 8GB of DDR4 @ 3000Mhz
  • Headphone source: O2 + Odac 
  • Mic input: Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
  • Case: Fractal Design Arc midi R2
  • Boot Drive: Samsung 840 Pro 128GB 
  • Storage: Seagate SSHD 2TB
  • PSU: Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 550w

Peripherals

• Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG278Q
  • Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma (16.5 inch/360)
  • Mouse surface: Mionix Sargas 900
  • Tablet: Wacom Intuos Pen
  • Keyboard: Filco Majestouch Ninja, MX Brown, Ten Keyless 
  • Headphones: AKG K7xx
  • IEMs: BrainWavs S1

It will get out of hand once there will be RGB dildos.

Unless...

^^This made my day :D