What's with the bad Seagate rep?

Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,

Higher failure rates I think? I'm not completely sure.

There was a segate 3TB drive(which i happen to have 4 of in my fileserver yay) that had 50% failure rate. All the other drives are under 10%.

Hitachi makes the best hard drives.

Hitachi, right?

Now that you mention it, yes. That's the top dog.

Shit, I have a 40GB IDE TravelStar in my old laptop that's doing fine. :/

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Hitachi, right?

Yeah, even though they are owned by WD nowadays.

Intel i7 7700K | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X| Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz Samsung EVO 850 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | Corsair CS650M | Thermalright Macho Rev. A | NZXT S340

CM Storm Quickfire TK [MX Blues] | Zowie FK1 |  Kingston HyperX Cloud

My family only really buys WD because my uncle said WD was way better a while back. At least when my family buys HDDs.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

And what about Samsung Spinpoints?

Not had a lot of those. I have a couple of Samsung laptop drives, and they appear to work just fine. I had a Hitachi drive give out after having a dent in its casing, but my 1TB HGST, I'm hoping, will serve me for years. I haven't a lot of experience with WD drives, but I hear they're pretty darn good. More Seagate drives have failed for me than any other drive. the one in my family iMac died three times, and the one in my desktop got the click of death and that was quite literally all she wrote.

I don't think either would still be in business if they made crap. Everyone has there bad batches.

Im trying to figure that out by running both a WD and a Seagate drive in my system. Both still function as they should. I think it comes down to luck, hard drives are a fragile technology.

Asus B85M-G / Intel i5-4670 / Sapphire 290X Tri-X / 16GB RAM (Corsair Value 1x8GB + Crucial 2x4GB) @1333MHz / Coolermaster B600 (600W) / Be Quiet! Silent Base 800 / Adata SP900 128GB SSD & WD Green 2TB & SG Barracuda 1TB / Dell AT-101W / Logitech G502 / Acer G226HQL & X-Star DP2710LED

Im trying to figure that out by running both a WD and a Seagate drive in my system. Both still function as they should. I think it comes down to luck, hard drives are a fragile technology.

gotta think about sample size, when we have around 2000 samples will can just do some math to test reliability. The manufacturer has a very good idea of failure rate while it's extremely hard for us.

And what about Samsung Spinpoints?

I've still got 2 working as new. A 5400RPM 20GB and the 7200RPM version (snapped off a couple of the pins-so fuck).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

They are good drives. Some people just have bad luck with them (like @pspfreak). And there are also some that swear by them (like @terrytek).

I dont have 1 seagate drive without bad sectors(8+ drives over the time.)

Well there was one EXTREMELY bad article about them failing a ton. I think they updated it a year later, but it still ha tons of problems. Examples of the problems were very low sample size, uneven use, and using consumer drives for enterprise tasks.

4000+ drives of the same type is NOT a low sample size. As for uneven use and wrong environment, they were used in the same environment as 4000+ HGST consumer drives, which only had a 1-2% failure rate compared to Seagate's 10-30%. So it's not a matter of sample size or use, it's just that the Seagates of that period were rubbish.

Seagate as far as I know is in the same league as WD. WD is maybe just a tad better, but that is my vision of it.

Now I see all kinds of idiots in Youtube comments (yeah yeah I know) that go 'hurr a Seagate drive failed me once' . (like dafuq every drive fails, and you just had back luck that it happened so quickly)

They are pretty damn good as HDD's go as far as I know, or is this wrong?

A mutual buddy of mine bought a seagate HDD 2 months back and it is failing now...i usually stick with WD :)

CPU: AMD FX-6300     COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO    MOBO: ASUS M5A97 R2.0    RAM: Team Vulcan 8Gb (4Gb x 2) , G-Skill Sniper (4Gb x 2)    PSU: Rosewill HIVE-750w    GPU: ASUS HD 7790 2Gb OC    CASE: NZXT Phantom 410    STORAGE: WD Black 1Tb , Intel 530 120Gb     AUDIO: HyperX Cloud , Sennheiser HD 518 , Audio Technica ATH-M30 , Sennheiser MM30G , Yamaha RX-V361 , Pioneer SP-BS22     PHONE: Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge     PERIPHERALS: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Classic , Logitech g502 ( Thanks Syntaxvgm <3 )

No idea. Currently have 3 Seagate drives and they're all pretty much running to spec. Considering the wear and tear I've put them throughout the years they're handling themselves quite well.

2x 3.5" drives that have been pretty much running 20/7 for the past year and a half and a laptop drive that has seen near to no downtime over the past 6 years (record on downtime on that laptop was 12 hours, rest of the time it was running)

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

They bought Maxtor. I've had bad experience with Maxtor drive. Enough for me to abandon brand (same thing with Antec).

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I had a WD external drive fail on me just after the warranty period, yet the Seagate drives in my NAS are still good after several years. I don't think the bad rep is warranted.

i5-4690K@4.5 GHz // Asus Z87-Pro // HyperX Fury 8GB DDR3-1600 // Crucial BX100 250GB // Sapphire Nitro R9 390 // EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2 // Fractal Design Define S // be quiet! Pure Rock & Pure Wings 2 // BenQ XL2730Z // Corsair Vengeance K70 // Logitech G403 Wireless // Sennheiser HD 598 SE

They bought Maxtor. I've had bad experience with Maxtor drive. Enough for me to abandon brand (same thing with Antec).

My Fireball 3 (40Gb P-ATA) still works after 12 years. Maxtor had some good drives

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

Never has a Seagate drive failed on me. Never has a WD drive failed on me.

Have had 4 WD drives or so and 3 Seagate drives (over 12 years or so).

no sure, maybe started by people with bad luck

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I honestly think it comes down to preference. I haven't had a bad experience with either. Both are reputable companies that have been around for a long, long time. I honestly grabbed a WD black because it was a high performance drive that was cheaper than a comparable seagate drive at the time. I  will say that WD has a far better community presence on this forum, and I suspect some others. For that, and the helpful attitude of CaptainWD I thank them. While he's always going to recommend his bosses' products he does tend to offer helpful advice.

My Fireball 3 (40Gb P-ATA) still works after 12 years. Maxtor had some good drives

All of my Maxtor HDD have dead control boards  :( .

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I didn't say they all are bad. But one bad experience is sometimes enough for me. With that drive, it was worst possible experience. The drive had hidden bad sectors. Like the ones you don't see anywhere (S.M.A.R.T. wasn't a thing back then) but what will cause trouble.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

My current system haves two of theirs HDDs one being 1TB other 3TB no problems.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Corsair K63 Cherry MX red | Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

I had a lot of internal Western Digital drives fail on me, but never an internal Seagate. Still decided to switch away from them and bought two Toshiba hard drives - one internal and one external - for my new computer.

External-wise, I have a Seagate semi-fail on me not too long ago and, hearing that their quality has picked up recently, decided to try an external Western Digital drive again to replace it. No problems so far with that one.

I had a friend on Facebook who just complained about his failing 3TB Western Digital Red internal hard drive a few days ago; he has also told me about his past experience with failing Seagate drives...

Higher failure rates I think? I'm not completely sure.

There was a segate 3TB drive(which i happen to have 4 of in my fileserver yay) that had 50% failure rate. All the other drives are under 10%.