2011 Macbook Pro 15'' worth $600

Okay, I'm not ignoring that they have great build quality or can do what Linux can.  I'm saying that if you can get the same build quality for less, and do the same thing with Linux for free...then what are you exactly paying more for?  I can also argue why not get a laptop of said quality, put an Apple OS on it for, and all for less?  What justifies paying more is my biggest question if you can get exactly the same for less.  I'm just trying to figure out why people would pay the extra?  I just don't see a justification other than the name  "Apple". I'm not saying what Woz created/did was bad...I just don't get the Steve Jobs logic of the product.  Ya know paying more for the same.  It's like paying more for the same shirt just because it says, Nike.  Does that help you in some way?  Or, is there more to it?  My problem is just with people paying more for the same thing.  It's like would you pay more for a table of the same build quality with the same SW options if MS had one for more, but LG had one for less? 

Anyways, I'm done flooding the comments with this.  If OP's fiancee wants it that bad then I guess go for it, but that's because we want OP in one piece.  lol

I understand what you're saying, but simply, in my eyes, nothing else is a Mac or a MacBook... It just isn't. And yeah, you could buy a laptop of a similar if not same build quality and put Mac OS on it, but you wouldn't have simple things like gestures and the tackpad which make Macs what they are...

All i'm saying is, you can get aspects of a Mac or MacBook for a lot cheaper, but it would never be the Mac or a MacBook and so you'd never have the same thing.  

Alright, so a NeoGeo AES is an arcade console hybrid.  The games are still being made I the consoles are from 91, so 16 bit graphics.  SNK makes Last Blade, Ikari Warriors, Art of Fighting, King of Fighters, Fatal Fury, and all those big name games.  Anyways the console at launch was ove 500 bucks to like a grand when launched.  The carts go for like 35 to 2 grand.  The controllers and memory card are also pricey.  Shipping on a console alone can cost 50-400 extra.  Cheaper sells out the second you put it in your cart or go to pay for it.  v.v

I know what  NeoGeo is.But i never knew that Price and shipping is so expensive.Anyway,good luck with finding console!

Guess PC fanboys have a hard time with basic literacy. Lol. 

Going back to the OP's question. I think it's a fair price - but Mac used market prices all depends on where you live. In NYC or Bay Area (California) - prices are very marked down because of the large number of used Mac's that always comes to market. Anything with even the slightest not like new condition get's further discounted. There are 2 issues with 2011 - none are inherent with the model but mainly the age - battery for starters, you'll have to replace soon regardless of cycles on it and component failure. It's a crap shoot with component failure, just never now when it might happen and with which component but that's not a Mac/PC thing. I would offer $550 and see if they take that. Nothing above $600 for sure - at least where I live (NYC). 

I'm at work and on a tablet.....certainly know more than you and I hardly classify as a fanboy....

CPU: i7-4770k @4.8ghz---Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z97---Ram 32gb Corsair Vengeance---GPU: 2 EVGA GTX 980 4gb way sli---Case: Corsair 600T White---Storage: 500gb 850 Pro & WD Black 4tb---PSU: Corsair RM1000

TBH when you said your fiancee wants one.  Just do it regardless.  Her being happy = you living.

I know this lol, she is my life.. Happy wife happy life, well soon to be wife. "Getting married October 10th if anyone cares lol"

CPU: i7-4770k @4.8ghz---Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z97---Ram 32gb Corsair Vengeance---GPU: 2 EVGA GTX 980 4gb way sli---Case: Corsair 600T White---Storage: 500gb 850 Pro & WD Black 4tb---PSU: Corsair RM1000

Mine lights anything pervy I have on fire.  If I refuse she will chuck a dictionary at my head.

Sarah and I get along great, she likes almost everything I like, only really difference is I open carry and she doesn't like guns "Do have my CWP just open sometimes".

@LoneRangerS

I left work and picked it up, I've since installed the SSD and this thing is quick lol.

@LoneRangerS

I left work and picked it up, I've since installed the SSD and this thing is quick lol.

Yeah, with an SSD mine booted up in like 10 seconds... Great isn't it?

I'm at work and on a tablet.....certainly know more than you and I hardly classify as a fanboy....

I wasn't calling you a fanboy. But you may have a hard time with basic literacy as well if you misunderstood what I was saying. Lol. Just kidding. 

Zeus: Dual Xeon E5-2695v3 | 128GB DDR4 ECC | Asus Z10PE-D16 WS | 2-way SLI EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0 | Corsair AX1200i | Fractal Design Define XL R2 | Das KB & Razor Chroma mouse

Yoda: HP DL380p Gen8 | Dual Xeon E5-2697v2 | 256GB DDR3 ECC | Dual Nvidia Tesla K40c | Dual 1200w PSU | 3X 146GB 15K SAS 2.5" HDD | CentOS 7 | Headless

@LoneRangerS

That's great.Hope your wife is happy with MacBook :)

I know she will love it , and yea it booted fast.

I'm installing CS5, and Office 15 right now, anything else you guys recommend I download.

She is an Art Major if that helps lol

I wasn't calling you a fanboy. But you may have a hard time with basic literacy as well if you misunderstood what I was saying. Lol. Just kidding. 

I read it, that was just a reply to the first sentence lol

I guess it depends on where you live. I heard some areas of New York you can get a MacBook Pro from 2011/12 for $600 or less (could be mistaken about the price). Where I live that would go for at least $1000 CAD.

I would do some research about the specs and see if it can still keep up with today's hardware (depending on what you will use it for).

Okay, I'm not ignoring that they have great build quality or can do what Linux can.  I'm saying that if you can get the same build quality for less, and do the same thing with Linux for free...then what are you exactly paying more for?  I can also argue why not get a laptop of said quality, put an Apple OS on it for, and all for less? 

You can't just put OS X onto any Windows laptop. OS X is designed for certain hardware that Apple verifies. You can't install OS X onto a Windows desktop without getting some errors or issues, that's why Hackintosh's (Mac but in a custom computer) will only work with certain motherboards (Some Gigabyte/ASUS/MSI motherboards won't work), video cards, etc.

I remember WoodysGamerTag (YouTuber) saying on PKA (his weekly podcast) that he loves his MacBook Air (he still uses his custom PC for daily use). Why? It works. He finds that OS X doesn't slow down as fast as Windows. If you install a lot of programs/files on your Windows PC, you will find that it will slow down within a year or so. You also can't find a Windows laptop that will go 5+ years strong without reformatting the OS. Personally, I was going to go with a MacBook Pro for college just because of the resell value. In my area, if a Mac is kept in like-new condition it can go for at least or just under half it's original cost. But, had some financial issues and not going with a MacBook anymore.

You can't just put OS X onto any Windows laptop. OS X is designed for certain hardware that Apple verifies. You can't install OS X onto a Windows desktop without getting some errors or issues, that's why Hackintosh's (Mac but in a custom computer) will only work with certain motherboards (Some Gigabyte/ASUS/MSI motherboards won't work), video cards, etc.

I remember WoodysGamerTag (YouTuber) saying on PKA (his weekly podcast) that he loves his MacBook Air (he still uses his custom PC for daily use). Why? It works. He finds that OS X doesn't slow down as fast as Windows. If you install a lot of programs/files on your Windows PC, you will find that it will slow down within a year or so. You also can't find a Windows laptop that will go 5+ years strong without reformatting the OS. Personally, I was going to go with a MacBook Pro for college just because of the resell value. In my area, if a Mac is kept in like-new condition it can go for at least or just under half it's original cost. But, had some financial issues and not going with a MacBook anymore.

People put OS X on Thinkpads all the time