Nvidia advertising Freesync Monitors on their website?

Mattieboi1

Maybe Nvidia is wising up and releasing a limited version of G-Sync (similar to the G-Sync laptops) which uses adaptive sync? 

A  man can dream.

I was thinking something like this earlier. It's definitely possible. Considering that they need to update the scalar, and what they have done with mobile G-sync, it's possible that they could just support adaptive/freesync and add extra features with a newer version of the G-sync module. I've seen some talk of this around since the announcement of freesync. 

Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.6GHz | 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133MHz | Tt Water 2.0 Extreme w/ 2x NF-F12s | ASUS Maximus VII Formula | EVGA GTX 780 Ti 2 way SLI @ 1241MHz/7.85GHz | Intel 730 240GB | 2x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM | 2TB WD Green | EVGA SuperNova 1000 P2 | Phanteks Enthoo Primo

it is open source so nvidia can write drivers for it but they choose not to because they have g sync and they dont want the 200 dollar more expensive g sync monitors to die off

200$ more expensive ? you're kidding me right ?

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

200$ more expensive ? you're kidding me right ?

not really because the g sync module adds like 100-200 dollars to the monitor price i remember when asus first released their 144hz 1440p TN g sync monitor it costed over 1000 dollars here

Well, they need Display port 1.2. (or is it 1.3)

That's about it.

1.2a

not really because the g sync module adds like 100-200 dollars to the monitor price i remember when asus first released their 144hz 1440p TN g sync monitor it costed over 1000 dollars here

Give me prices now, if you can't then just don't make the claims.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-MG279Q-Screen-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B00ZOO348C/ref=zg_bsnr_1292115011_5?tag=amazon0606-20 free sync 

http://www.amazon.com/PG278Q-27-Inch-Screen-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B00MSOND8C g sync

for the monitor vendor to have g sync they have to pay royalties to nvidia while for free sync its just the cost to have displayport

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-MG279Q-Screen-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B00ZOO348C/ref=zg_bsnr_1292115011_5?tag=amazon0606-20 free sync 

http://www.amazon.com/PG278Q-27-Inch-Screen-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B00MSOND8C g sync

for the monitor vendor to have g sync they have to pay royalties to nvidia while for free sync its just the cost to have displayport

Yup, even in the UK there's a £100 difference between those two monitors.

I do wonder what the new G-Sync IPS 1440p version will cost. I have to admit though, that the SWIFT still have nice build quality, and it's a shame ASUS didn't give the MG279Q the same treatment. 

Once FreeSync 1440p 144hz monitors have at least a range of 30-144hz I might get one to try myself. Not a fan of the current limited ranges.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

The original monitor for the DIY module lists for just under $300 on amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Asus-VG248QE-24-Inch-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B00B2HH7G0

And the whole shebang including installation was about $500, with just the module and service for $300. http://www.digitalstorm.com/nvidia-g-sync.asp So yeah, it likely sits somewhere between $100-200.

As of now gsync basically is just a premium. Though we still have yet to see what nvidia has in store for being more than just a premium as they have claimed, if they actually do have something...

I just see G-Sync monitors.

Nope, FreeSync is AMD specific, even though it's based on the open Adaptive-Sync

It is the open Adaptive-Sync...

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

I think people are fooling themselves,  if they want to go looking for large price differences you can find them, if you go looking for something smaller you'll also find them too.  Last time I looked the average premium for G-sync was $80-$100A. It might have gone up since then, lord knows the Aussie dollar changes value more often than a woman changes her mind.

If you really wanted to here's two that are only 100 different. Even then the more expensive one has a higher res panel.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-078-AC&groupid=17&catid=948

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-065-AC&groupid=17&catid=948

And for those wondering, freesync has to be cheaper, it's not so much a case of G-sync carrying a premium because roughly 60% of all GPU's currently in use are Gsync compatible while only about 15-20% will work with freesync.   If there is no price enticement to stick with AMD GPU's then AMD have very little to offer.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Well, they need Display port 1.2. (or is it 1.3)

That's about it.

It's 1.2a, but that might be integrated in the gpu chip itself, no?

In LTT's Free Sync Video I heard them saying Free Sync would be a open source technology developed by AMD

Well it's based on display port's spec, not much they can hide even if they wanted to.

Maybe Nvidia is wising up and releasing a limited version of G-Sync (similar to the G-Sync laptops) which uses adaptive sync? 

A  man can dream.

Nvidia using VESA standard adaptive-sync... are you high?

1.2a

1.2a or higher with the optional adaptive-sync spec ;)

I think people are fooling themselves,  if they want to go looking for large price differences you can find them, if you go looking for something smaller you'll also find them too.  Last time I looked the average premium for G-sync was $80-$100A. It might have gone up since then, lord knows the Aussie dollar changes value more often than a woman changes her mind.

If you really wanted to here's two that are only 100 different. Even then the more expensive one has a higher res panel.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-078-AC&groupid=17&catid=948

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-065-AC&groupid=17&catid=948

And for those wondering, freesync has to be cheaper, it's not so much a case of G-sync carrying a premium because roughly 60% of all GPU's currently in use are Gsync compatible while only about 15-20% will work with freesync.   If there is no price enticement to stick with AMD GPU's then AMD have very little to offer.

the g sync module cost the monitor makers an additional 150 so that cost has to go somewhere 

the g sync module cost the monitor makers an additional 150 so that cost has to go somewhere 

Except that I have shown you two monitors that vary by less than 150 and the more expensive monitor has a better panel.  Thus concluding the sync module is not the single  controlling factor and people can draw what ever conclusion they want on the matter by simply believing whatever they want.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Except that I have shown you two monitors that vary by less than 150 and the more expensive monitor has a better panel.  Thus concluding the sync module is not the single  controlling factor and people can draw what ever conclusion they want on the matter by simply believing whatever they want.

yes the monitor manufacturer could choose to take the hit in profit

You can believe that too if you want.

You can believe that too if you want.

the fact is the module costs money and the license costs money do you disagree with that?

the fact is the module costs money and the license costs money do you disagree with that?

What?

I never said they didn't.  You said monitor makers were taking a hit in their profits to make G-sync monitors cheaper, which is a naive assumption at best and total BS at worse.

In my very opening post in this thread I acknowledged there was a premium for Gsync:

I think people are fooling themselves, if they want to go looking for large price differences you can find them, if you go looking for something smaller you'll also find them too. Last time I looked the average premium for G-sync was $80-$100A. It might have gone up since then, lord knows the Aussie dollar changes value more often than a woman changes her mind.

What?

I never said they didn't.  You said monitor makers were taking a hit in their profits to make G-sync monitors cheaper, which is a naive assumption at best and total BS at worse.

In my very opening post in this thread I acknowledged there was a premium for Gsync:

? if they are paying for the module and license and not transferring that to the costumer how is that not a hit in profit

? if they are paying for the module and license and not transferring that to the costumer how is that not a hit in profit

You're operating on an assumption that they are paying a certain amount for the module and not transferring that cost to the consumer,  both are unknown unless you work for that company.  Even Richard Huddy said the cost difference would $100 US.  Stop pretending that you know what the module costs for manufacturers and what their profit margins are. You don't.  No one here knows what that module actually costs manufacturers much less if they aren't making any profit from their product.

You're operating on an assumption that they are paying a certain amount for the module and not transferring that cost to the consumer,  both are unknown unless you work for that company.  Even Richard Huddy said the cost difference would $100 US.  Stop pretending that you know what the module costs for manufacturers and what their profit margins are. You don't.  No one here knows what that module actually costs manufacturers much less if they aren't making any profit from their product.

im not saying they are not making any profit im saying if they make a 500 dollar monitor without g sync and it costs them 300 dollars to manufacturer then they make a 200 dollar profit but if they add a 100 dollar g sync module and still charge 500 dollars then they are making a 100 dollar profit. that is all im saying dont interpret it too far

For me it links to the G-Sync one...

likewise

Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 : Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene : PSU - Corsair AX760 : CPU - Intel i7 4790k w/ EK-Supremacy EVO Copper/Acetal Water Block  : Memory - Corsair Vengence Pro 24gb 1600mhz : GPU - Evga GTX 780 Ti Classified w/ EK-FC780 GTX Classy - Acetal+Nickel Water Block : Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 250gb & 850 Evo 1tb SSDs, 2x 6TB External HDDs : Fans - 5x Noctua NF-F12 & 1x NF-S12A : Display - 24in Benq XL2420TE : Rads - Darkside LPX360 & LP240 : Pump/Res - EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario Pump

im not saying they are not making any profit im saying if they make a 500 dollar monitor without g sync and it costs them 300 dollars to manufacturer then they make a 200 dollar profit but if they add a 100 dollar g sync module and still charge 500 dollars then they are making a 100 dollar profit. that is all im saying dont interpret it too far

You're still making assumptions that you know what the profit is, what the cost of the module is and so on.  Richard huddy said $100, I have shown two monitors within in that range when accounting for the superior panel in the more expensive one, there is nothing left to argue, everything else is assumption.

If anyone wants to look for reasons to support their personal assumptions and emotions on the subject then by all means, just know it is not reflected in reality nor rationally.