AMD FX vs Intel for gaming - 2015 Edition

let me guess. you have a huge ass heatsink on the i7 and stock cooler on the phenom II

i have the stock cooler on both to be honest. I like to note, I'm not into over clocking, though I have tried in the past.

i have the stock cooler on both to be honest. I like to note, I'm not into over clocking, though I have tried in the past.

You should never keep the stock cooler on CPU suck as the 1090T or 4790K-the 4790K alone can and will overheat.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

• 1 month later...

Gotta retest with DX12!

yeah...so true....3DMark is pretty good

• 7 months later...
On 7/6/2015 at 0:21 PM, STRMfrmXMN said:

Most of them are AMD fanboys HARDCORE and don't understand WTF bottlenecking actually is. I saw one guy who had an FX 6350 and a 980ti and he said "my 6350 never saw 100% usage" and I basically just facewalled.... Like yes, that is a bottleneck...

Wouldn't that be a GPU bottleneck? Genuinely interested here, because if CPU is at 50% and GPU (assuming) is at 100% the system is bottlenecked by the GPU. 

2 minutes ago, Belgarathian said:

Wouldn't that be a GPU bottleneck? Genuinely interested here, because if CPU is at 50% and GPU (assuming) is at 100% the system is bottlenecked by the GPU. 

Holy thread necro 

I was pointing out that the IPC of the FX series is so poor that pairing it with a 980ti is hilariously dumb.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

1 minute ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Holy thread necro 

I was pointing out that the IPC of the FX series is so poor that pairing it with a 980ti is hilariously dumb.

Haha yeah - Sorry about that. Was genuinely interested in learning something, in case I had it wrong. 

Ehh - I still think that it's game related as some lean heavily on CPU, while some lean heavily on GPU. Again, under older DX versions single core IPC is incredibly important, but under DX12 some of these older CPUs should be okay. 

1 hour ago, Belgarathian said:

Haha yeah - Sorry about that. Was genuinely interested in learning something, in case I had it wrong. 

Ehh - I still think that it's game related as some lean heavily on CPU, while some lean heavily on GPU. Again, under older DX versions single core IPC is incredibly important, but under DX12 some of these older CPUs should be okay. 

IPC is imprtant. But you need to know your workload too.

some workloads are very simple (especially in games), and are just repetitive "check this value against this value" type of workloads.

These workloads LOVE MHz. IPC doesnt affect them, as you can only hold so many workloads in the pipeline at any given time.

As for games and DX12. You would be right that FX behaves "better" under DX12 then previous DX versions. In my own testing a FX 8320 with a good overclock is about 10-20% slower then a i7 4790k at stock. But not much more then that.

As for FXs use cases today.

I would get a FX 6 or 8 core over a i3. Even a skylake i3. Sure tests done by reviewers say the Skylake i3s are superior. But after buying and using a skylake i3 for over a week i can promise you one thing. The stuttering and FPS is not nearly as good as shown in reviews of it. Especially if you are using a mid-range GPU.

It seems like tests done by reviewers are mostly showing the GPUs "carrying" the i3, but once you are able to max out a mid range GPU at 1080p, you see a whole different story. It stutters, it struggles in NPC or physics heavy scenes. It is nothing like "advertised".

As for i5s, they are better then FX for the most part. But i wouldnt get anything less then a Haswell i5 over a FX. Ivy and Sandy, even used and cheap, arent THAT good these days as they run at much lower clock speeds and doesnt overclock remotely as good as FX.