AMD FX vs Intel for gaming - 2015 Edition

stayed on pcpp for a while and lets just say its gonna be a few years before I go back.....  Le Douchebag vs Le Idiots happened and well I won but man my head hurts now....

have one of those too... has dual 970 hof for osu and LoL ..... they make me cry

LoL @ Max @ 16k res

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

LoL @ Max @ 16k res

kill me pls

kill me pls

wow so kind

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

damn son 

Desktop: Intel Core i5 2380P (2400 w/o iGPU), MSI H61, 8GB RAM, 256GB SP610, 500GB WD Blue, HIS R9 280, Antec TruePower Classic 550W, Inwin MANA 134, QNIX QX2710, CM QuickFire Rapid, Logitech G402

Laptop: Toshiba Satellite L40D, AMD A6-6310, 6GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Radeon R4 Graphics, 14" 1366x768

Phone: iPhone 6 Space Gray 64GB, T-Mobile $60/mo 3GB plan

wow so kind

I hate moba's so yea...

Most of them are AMD fanboys HARDCORE and don't understand WTF bottlenecking actually is. I saw one guy who had a 6350 and a 980ti and he said "my 6350 never saw 100% usage" and I basically just facewalled.... Like yes, that is a bottleneck...

Uhhhhh Kinda confused, can you elaborate? 

He means that the CPU is being under-utilized. This is because applications very rarely use more than 4 threads. Those extra cores do absolutely nothing for gamers, aside from a few games like RAGE. When your CPU is under-utilized, and the cores are too slow, the CPU will hold the GPU back in terms of performance. This is why FX users suffer from micro stutters very often. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

mine is running at 62 degrees right now, idlle.

Put the cooler back on.

Put the cooler back on.

it is on...

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

He means that the CPU is being under-utilized. This is because applications very rarely use more than 4 threads. Those extra cores do absolutely nothing for gamers, aside from a few games like RAGE. When your CPU is under-utilized, and the cores are too slow, the CPU will hold the GPU back in terms of performance. This is why FX users suffer from micro stutters very often. 

What MageTank said.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Plug in in the fan connector.

This isn't really helping

"Rawr XD"

I got a fx 8350 and planning to switch to intel, preferably the i7 4790k. I will be using the i7 with a r9 290, what do you guys think, should I?

I got a fx 8350 and planning to switch to intel, preferably the i7 4790k. I will be using the i7 with a r9 290, what do you guys think, should I?

Id wait for Skylake.

Whats that?

The next generation of Intel CPUs. They're coming towards the end of the year and will bring a decent IPC improvement as well as new features. If you play AAA titles then 8350+290 isn't the end of the world and if you wait until Skylake it gives you more time to save up

"Rawr XD"

This isn't really helping

Plug in in the fan connector.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

On a more serious note: With all that's said and done, I'm really glad AMD has stopped playing around with APUs in a corner somewhere, ready to push out Zen.

I'm sure if they actually go with SMT this time instead of the failure that was CMT (Seriously, who thought that you could jam two cookies into a jar that could only handle one at a time? UCK!). 

Not to complain though, my FX 6300 runs fine... At 4.5GHz :P

ShredderPC V3.5  CPU: Intel i5 3570 | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390 | Mobo: Intel DB75EN | RAM: 16GB DDR3

ShredderPC X5450  CPU: Intel Xeon X5450 | GPU: Asus Geforce GTX 760 | Mobo: Asus P5G41C-M LX | RAM: 8GB DDR3 1333MHz

thank you for spending time and creating this topic,  i was just in a discussion on google plus of all things about someone who wanted a new cpu and was choosing between a 4790 and a fx 9370, i had said the i7 4790 and heck even the i5 beats it, and i instantly got attacked by a group of ignorant amd fanboys and i would have loved to shove this in their faces. moral of the storie there was a straw poll and there was like 75% for the i7 and 15% for the 9370 and 15% for 8350, and the dumb amd fanboys urged him into getting a 8350 :( sad day indeed i wish i could have shown him this thread.

Spoiler

The Ninja (current gaming pc)  Case- h440 red/black cpu- i5-4690k@ 4.3ghz cooler- coolermaster hyper 212 evo moboGigabyte z97x-sli ram- adata xpg v.1 2x4gb 1600mhz gpu- asus strix gtx 970 hdd- wd blue 1tb ssd- kingston hyperx savage 240gb psu- evga 600b peripherals: mouse- razer death adder 2013 keyboard- corsair k70 with chery mx-reds headset- HyperX Cloud 2

my laptop- toshiba satelite p850, cpu- i7-3630qm ram- 8gb 1600mhz hdd- 1tb 5400rpm gpu- Nvidia gt630m 2gb

did you know we have a gun thread ? well we do 

and a car thread ! 

aww no Far Cry 4 benchmarks that makes me a bit sad :(

EDIT: here are some benchmarks I found http://www.techspot.com/review/917-far-cry-4-benchmarks/page5.html

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

Thanks for the suggestion, it has been added :)

no problem :)
Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

im sorry but what......

be ready to cringe
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/JCWXsY

My Brian...it hurts.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

My Brian...it hurts.

Your welcome :)

Let me go get a water-cooled pentium build with r7 gpu =D

jkjk

Edit: I can't find that one anymore :/