i need some serious help!

Tech Lover

hi. i just created this account here cause i guess just like Linus, his forum would be awesome :)

any ways here is the deal.

im a student and i am crazy about gaming and tech. i have never bought gaming monitor. u know, cause they are ALWAYS double the price in my country cause of imports and taxes. i love gaming too much. i save money for gaming stuff and then i get it when i have saved some :)

my current configuration is i7 860, 4Gb of ram and i got Gigabyte GTX 670 windforce edition.

but my monitor is that old age 17" 1280*1024 monitor with VGA... :(

but not anymore! i have finally save money for new monitor and i want ur assistance in which monitor to get.

currently i am looking at these five monitors: 

ASUS VG248QE

ASUS  VG278HE

BenQ XL2720T

BenQ XL2420T

ASUS PB278Q

i know there are people here who have one or more of these monitors.

my use cases are very obvious, here is what i would do with these monitors in prioritized manner:

• Gaming
  • Watching movies
  • Internet browsing

i also have one more question, like in Samsung S27A950D, there is a 2D to 3D converter and u can technically convert any thing into 3D on that monitor, these monitors that i listed above, 4 of these are 120Hz or more Hz monitors, my question is can u convert 2D movies to 3D movies and use 3D glasses to watch them using the high refresh rates of these monitors?? (oh i just wish its ture!!!)

i also like high res displays but i like blur free gaming. i have never seen anything in 3D and i am also very curious in how it works.i thought of going to cinema (for first time in my life) to see what is 3D but now its Ramazan so cimemas are closed.

and one more thing, guys i might also be getting another GTX 670 or may be i will get GTX 780 by selling my current GTX 670. not sure yet. but i will change my GPU soon. i will either get 1 more GTX 670 or will get 1 GTX 780.

guys pls be sincere cause its not possible for me to upgrade so often like some of u guys here. its my long time saving and my first ever monitor! i dont get a lot of money to save and cant go for wrong decision cause i will have to stick to my choice for like at least 2 years.

so pls be sincere and give me a good choice.

thanks in advance.

Current Rig: Intel core i7 4770K Stock 4.5G, Asus Maximus VI Hero, Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 16Gb (8Gx2), 2x SLi Gigabyte Geforce GTX 670 2Gb GDDR5 3X Windforce Edition, Corsair Hydro Series H100i (Push), JDS LABS O2/ODAC combo, Fiio E18 KUNLUN, Asus Xonar Essence STX (secondary PC), Sennheiser HD700, Hifiman HE 400i, Beyerdynamics DT 990 PRO 250 Ohm, Sennheiser HD 518, Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 850W 80+, Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced, Samsun4g DVD R/W Combo, 3X Cooler Master 120mm Blue LED fans, LG IPS 23EA73, Logitech G710 BLUE, BlackWidow Ultimate 2013 Edition,Logitech G402 HYPERION FURY, Bloody Core V7, SteelSeries QcK Mass MiBR mouse pad

What kind of games do you play. If you do not play FPS games a lot, then the only think you'll enjoy from a 120Hz monitor, is a smoother moving cursor on the screen if you play close attention to it. in which case, you'll be wasting your money. Money that can invested in a IPS panel monitor for significantly (most of the time, depending from which monitor you come from) better colors, than an TN panel, which is what you are looking at now. Better colors, ultra wide view angle (178 degree's in all direction), much reduced back light bleeding (to even none, all depending on how much you are willing to spend) are the big advantages of IPS LCD panel. Better colors, means you get to enjoy better the game art style, the hard work of the graphic designer, to a new level. Wide view angle, means you can sit anywhere in your room, and perfectly see the screen (except behind the monitor, of course. 178 degree view angle.. not 360 :) ) Oh and also IPS panels a bit more sharp than TN panels. IPS panel LCD liquid is more filled from edge to edge on the sub pixel level, allowing this increase in sharpness. If you want do a test: Go on the Windows settings, and have your screen rotated at 180 degrees (Portrait mode). Now rotate your laptop like a book, and look at text. You'll see that the text isn't as sharp as it was before. On an IPS panel there is no difference. So the sharpness difference isn't huge, but it's something.

That aside, you need to remember that your games to run at a solid 120fps to fully enjoy a 120Hz monitor @ 1920x1080. If not, you need a more powerful GPU, or reduce the game visuals, although I don't know how you can test this with a 1280x1024 monitor. Check reviews of your games, to see if they run at 120fps with your graphic card, I think would be your best bet... or ask a friend if he or she has the hardware setup (you don't need a 120Hz monitor, a 60Hz monitor with V-Sync OFF, will tell you).

For the Samsung S27A950D, the 2D to 3D conversion (not the Nvidia 3D glasses thing, called Nvidia 3D Vision), with just the frame it received, it tries to guess the 3D effect. The effect isn't great based on reviews, much like all similar monitors.  While it does support 120Hz, it does not support Nvidia 3D Vision, which is far superior, as not only it uses active shutter 3D glasses, but also the graphic card drivers injects code to the game to shift the camera of the game, so you get the real 3D effect.

The way Nvidia 3D Vision works, is by using steroscopic 3D technique where the glasses that you were are actually 2x transparent monochrome LCD monitors, which passes from full transparent to full black.

The monitor display at 60Hz per eye, the image, and the glasses syncs with the monitor, so that the eye that is suppose to see the frame, the glasses LCD screen is transparent, as for the other eye it's black, blocking it from seeing it.

It works kinda like this effect, but faster, and the other eye doesn't see the wrong frame, allowing the 3D effect to work on motion:

stereoscopic_images_06.gif

xlarge.gif

Useful info and resources:

If you wonder about response time: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/29257-how-noticable-is-response-time/?p=372554

Everything about monitor guide: http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=218867

How an LCD (TN) panel works:

wow. dude u know a lot about monitors.

but u see the problem i have is as i have already mentioned, is the price of monitors here. its literally 2X the original price of the monitors here. like for example, the price of  BenQ XL2720T is $549.99 on NCIX.ca but here its price is $1020!!

so and the IPS panels are way above $1200 here where i live because people are not that into these gaming and high end monitors and taxes are so high.

i have already said it that i have limited money. so IPS panels are very expensive for me.

i play mostly FPS games. rather i only play FPS games. 

can u answer my question if we can turn 2D movies to 3D movies using these 120+ Hz monitors?

Current Rig: Intel core i7 4770K Stock 4.5G, Asus Maximus VI Hero, Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 16Gb (8Gx2), 2x SLi Gigabyte Geforce GTX 670 2Gb GDDR5 3X Windforce Edition, Corsair Hydro Series H100i (Push), JDS LABS O2/ODAC combo, Fiio E18 KUNLUN, Asus Xonar Essence STX (secondary PC), Sennheiser HD700, Hifiman HE 400i, Beyerdynamics DT 990 PRO 250 Ohm, Sennheiser HD 518, Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 850W 80+, Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced, Samsun4g DVD R/W Combo, 3X Cooler Master 120mm Blue LED fans, LG IPS 23EA73, Logitech G710 BLUE, BlackWidow Ultimate 2013 Edition,Logitech G402 HYPERION FURY, Bloody Core V7, SteelSeries QcK Mass MiBR mouse pad

Ah very good. Sorry about that. May I ask where you live (which country, is all I care about)?

None of the monitor you listed (except the Samsung S27A950D) does 2D to 3D conversion, if I am not mistaken. However, if you have a 3D Blu-ray drive in your computer, and Nvidia 3D Vision, you can enjoy 3D movies with the other monitors. (Of course, you need a supported video player/codec for this to work, as well)

i live in pakistan :)

i guess u are online now.

i have 2 questions,

Q1: there are several media players out there which do 2D to 3D conversions of the videos u play on them one example is KM Player. its very good players. can i watch such converted videos when 120 hz rates is enabled using the 3D glasses of Nvidia?

Q2: out of these monitors which one should i get for my needs and budget?

thanks

Q1: I don't know

Q2: My knowledge on 120Hz monitors on which is the best is limited, I am afraid. I can do some research, but you'll have to be patient. I think I better let someone else answer that for you, or look at teh suggestions said on this forum on 120Hz monitor, They are a bunch of topics.

I just wanted to say, that LG has inexpenisve IPS panels if you want to have a look. They are entry level IPS panel, of course, but hey it's inexpensive. I can't suggest a model as it varies between region to region.

Also have a look at the Dell S series monitor from Dell, which are also IPS. You also have AOC that has an IPS monitor. All of the monitors are 1080p. In the higher end monitors, you have the Dell U2312HM which is pretty inexpensive. You can Dell and negotiate a price too, as you do affair directly form the manufacture, which is nice.

That aside, I would go with a 24inch monitor, as 27inch monitor at 1080p is, in my opinion, not good, as it's too large, so you lose sharpness, making fine text a bit harder to read. It's not awful, but still. Plus you pay more. I guess it's good for gaming as the screen is bigger, but I see it more as if you are a bit too far away form the screen, or have difficulty reading small text, and don't want to lower your resolution or increase your DPI settings of Windows.

So it comes down to: BenQ XL2420T vs ASUS VG248QE

I cannot find any in depth monitor reviews for either monitors, so I can't comment. But I am not seeing anything awful.

Q1: I don't know

Q2: My knowledge on 120Hz monitors on which is the best is limited, I am afraid. I can do some research, but you'll have to be patient. I think I better let someone else answer that for you, or look at teh suggestions said on this forum on 120Hz monitor, They are a bunch of topics.

I just wanted to say, that LG has inexpenisve IPS panels if you want to have a look. They are entry level IPS panel, of course, but hey it's inexpensive. I can't suggest a model as it varies between region to region.

Also have a look at the Dell S series monitor from Dell, which are also IPS. You also have AOC that has an IPS monitor. All of the monitors are 1080p. In the higher end monitors, you have the Dell U2312HM which is pretty inexpensive. You can Dell and negotiate a price too, as you do affair directly form the manufacture, which is nice.

That aside, I would go with a 24inch monitor, as 27inch monitor at 1080p is, in my opinion, not good, as it's too large, so you lose sharpness, making fine text a bit harder to read. It's not awful, but still. Plus you pay more. I guess it's good for gaming as the screen is bigger, but I see it more as if you are a bit too far away form the screen, or have difficulty reading small text, and don't want to lower your resolution or increase your DPI settings of Windows.

So it comes down to: BenQ XL2420T vs ASUS VG248QE

I cannot find any in depth monitor reviews for either monitors, so I can't comment. But I am not seeing anything awful.

dude thank u so very much for ur help. i was expecting really lots of people helping but meh... 

anyways ur detailed answers are really appreciated. im inclined more towards the VG248QE as it is cheaper than the BenQ one.

i will find more myself. thanks again for ur good help :d