SO - Survival: Online ~ Hiatus

Kuzma

So Wkronbaek and I have been discussing and planning the "Survival games"-style game and we've got some questions for you guys to know what kinds of things to adjust and look out for while developing the game.

So far we've decided on 5 classes (possibility of 6) they've not really set they're more like starting points but you can change all your clothes, armour, weapons etc.

The classes are:

• Archer
  • Tank
  • Mercenary
  • Scout
  • Warrior

I think you can work out what each of the classes are like but I'll most likely be typing out longer descriptions for each of the classes in due time.

Although you do start out the game solo, there will be an option to start an alliance at any point in time: you will be unable to deal damage to an ally directly (so watch out for collateral damage such as someone setting of a trap and getting your team mate trapped in it) but the alliance can be broken at any time so watch your back.

The game will be made in Unity for a variety of reasons but mostly because of the support for Windows, Mac OS X and most importantly Linux :P we love our Linux support and would hate to cut anyone that uses Linux out of the picture.

There will hopefully be a crafting system that's quite complex with multiple ways to create the same thing so you must be as resourceful as possible and "junk" loot will be cut down to a very small minimum and every little will help.

The matches will be made up of 24 players in a map with AI animals, insects and other organisms. Your character will be able to get sick :P so keep warm to avoid getting a pesky cough as it might just give you away while you're hiding.

There will also be a weight system so the more you carry the slower you move and the different classes will have different weight limits.

There will be support for the use of controllers!

That's pretty much all we've looked at so far and we just wanted to let you guys know this will be a thing and to get your opinion on how things are going and how you think things should go in the future.

P.S. We are looking for someone to do some 3D modelling so if you can do that kind of thing and are interested feel free to PM Wkronbaek

or myself to join the project.

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

this actually sounds really good! 

what type of setting is it? i.e. medieval, fantasy, celtic, modern, futuristic?

Big Bertha3570k @ 4.5GhzASRock Fatal1ty Z777970 DCUII TOP EVGA GTX 780Swiftech H220 w/ NF-F1216GB RAM128GB Kingston HyperX 3K1TB Western Digital Black40GB Western Digital Raptor 10K PeripheralsMionix 3200 MouseCMStorm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues2 x Dell U2713HM AudioAsus ROG Orion Pro HeadsetSony XB-500AKG K240Bose AE2i​Fiio E10

Samsung Galaxy S45.0" 1920x1080p Super AMOLED screen16GB Storage2600 mAh battery1.9Ghz quad-core Krait CPU2GB RAMCyanogenMod CameraNikon D310018x55mm NIKKOR VR Lens14.2 MP

this actually sounds really good! 

what type of setting is it? i.e. medieval, fantasy, celtic, modern, futuristic?

It's kind of set in the not too distant future but it will have a survivalist feel to it and there won't be much technology available to you.

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

Sounds great, few things first though, put it on Steam greenlight, attracts more attention than trying to self publish and get people to your website to buy it with limited payment options, and it's vulnerable to DDoS attacks as well (looking at Cube World here). I know greenlight isn't perfect but Steam is working on it as we speak trying to fix the flaws of it. I voted that I would pay $20 for it over $10 DRM free because otherwise it wouldn't have gone with my previous vote which was Steam.

Other thing is that it might be better if you made it F2P (even though I voted no), there's a risk people won't buy it and the game ends up dead because it's heavily relied on multiplayer (if I understood right). Oh and I would leave the singleplayer campaign out, focus on the multiplayer which is where the core of the game is at (if it is lol).

Anyway, great choice on Unity, I've fiddled around with it and it's a great engine^^

Sounds great, few things first though, put it on Steam greenlight, attracts more attention than trying to self publish and get people to your website to buy it with limited payment options, and it's vulnerable to DDoS attacks as well (looking at Cube World here). I know greenlight isn't perfect but Steam is working on it as we speak trying to fix the flaws of it. I voted that I would pay $20 for it over $10 DRM free because otherwise it wouldn't have gone with my previous vote which was Steam.

Other thing is that it might be better if you made it F2P (even though I voted no), there's a risk people won't buy it and the game ends up dead because it's heavily relied on multiplayer (if I understood right). Oh and I would leave the singleplayer campaign out, focus on the multiplayer which is where the core of the game is at (if it is lol).

Anyway, great choice on Unity, I've fiddled around with it and it's a great engine^^

In regards to Steam Greenlight that's true but it seems they're not taking any submissions as it stands we'll have to hope that they are once the game is finished :D

The ideas we have for F2P were a few character upgrades but the upgrades would have drawbacks to avoid it being to pay to win, for example if you got a strength ugprade then your character would age resulting in slower movement, more hunger etc. and each upgrade would have similarly bad downsides.

In regards to Steam Greenlight that's true but it seems they're not taking any submissions as it stands we'll have to hope that they are once the game is finished :D

The ideas we have for F2P were a few character upgrades but the upgrades would have drawbacks to avoid it being to pay to win, for example if you got a strength ugprade then your character would age resulting in slower movement, more hunger etc. and each upgrade would have similarly bad downsides.

Just give people hats and they'll be happy haha

Just give people hats and they'll be happy haha

xD see what you did there

Thread finally running : P, also, what do you guys think of making a Kickstarter? We would need money for Engine etc.

Also, video's of some asset's we're most likely gonna buy, so this is pretty much the graphics:

Stuff I have I like: Moto G - Superlux HD681 Evo - Monoprice 9927

90% of what I say is sarcasm.

Thread finally running : P, also, what do you guys think of making a Kickstarter? We would need money for Engine etc.

Also, video's of some asset's we're most likely gonna buy, so this is pretty much the graphics:

Nice, also after the recent kickstarter event, only if you have already started making it and have gotten something done, and you have something to show, otherwise nah. I know making games isn't very cheap but still, it's you investing in it and if you put a lot of effort into it, people will see it and it'll succeed once it's out there. Of course this isn't the case always but something to think about I guess.

Would you make it oculus comptaible? i can help if you need a programmer.

:p I'm a programmer so probably not

Nice, also after the recent kickstarter event, only if you have already started making it and have gotten something done, and you have something to show, otherwise nah. I know making games isn't very cheap but still, it's you investing in it and if you put a lot of effort into it, people will see it and it'll succeed once it's out there. Of course this isn't the case always but something to think about I guess.

Well we will make a kickstarter when we have some nice 3D models, and a good video and generally can present it nicely - Although we can't make a demo before we have the engine etc.

Also, to everyone who said the name was terrible, give us some ideas : P

Good luck with the project! Sounds like an awesome idea. :)

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who can read binary and those who can't.

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who can read hexadecimal and F the rest.

~Fletch

Good luck with the project! Sounds like an awesome idea. :)

Thanks!

Okay, so we are surprised to see the steam option to be more popular then the cheaper off-our-site option, my guess would be that this community is elitist consumers : P

Oh well, might be an option - we're still totally unsure what the game is gonna cost, might end up as 10$ on steam.

Mini-bump kinda? Working on a proto-type thing to show off what we've done so far so expect to see some of that soon :D

More important than greenlight is rockpapershotgun. They review every single game that you send them and you'll get a huge boost of sales after that. It will help with the greenlight voting as well.

Unless the game turns out to be really good don't count on greenlight though, you'll need close to a 100k votes for your game to be accepted.

More important than greenlight is rockpapershotgun. They review every single game that you send them and you'll get a huge boost of sales after that. It will help with the greenlight voting as well.

Unless the game turns out to be really good don't count on greenlight though, you'll need close to a 100k votes for your game to be accepted.

We plan on putting it on greenlight, and we will look at rockpapershotgun.

The Game is now renamed to Battle of Champions, and have have made some small changes to other things in the poll: At question 1, we're looking at a 10 vs 5$, Not a 20 vs 10, And F2P doesn't seem to be an option.

Also, if you consider doing modelling for this, we would really appriciate some help, as we simply can't do this without someone to do the characters (Unless we're gonna buy the characters as assets, but that won't be very good).

The overall game is looking like it well be really easy to program now, as we have plans to buy assets for Environments, UI, and character systems/animations/movements.

Will continue to keep you updated!

Mini-update I've been working hard every day to try and get this proto-type out asap ^_^ I'm currently working on the net code and I should be done within a week or so but we really need a 3D modeller otherwise chances are you guys will be playing as glorified cubes xD

Mini-update I've been working hard every day to try and get this proto-type out asap ^_^ I'm currently working on the net code and I should be done within a week or so but we really need a 3D modeller otherwise chances are you guys will be playing as glorified cubes xD

Well, if you're buying the graphical assets then your characters will need to be of the same quality and style. This is not an option, it's mandatory. Graphics that don't combine will be incredibly immersion breaking. If you can't find a good artist then don't bother buying those graphical assests, just make the game like minecraft or cubeworld. For a survival game the world needs to have more detail, but those types of graphics are more than enough for the game to be successful and won't be hard/expensive to make/buy. I played hunger games in minecraft and it was quite fun and had a shit-ton of people playing it. If your game has good playability, even if cuboid graphics, then you'll have a lot of people buying it and you will be able to profit from DLCs with extra game modes.

Also, sell the game fore 10$ minimum, any less will be suicide. Selling it for 10$ will mean that if you get into greenlight then you can sell thousands of copies for 10$ and then put it on discount and everyone else who would have bought it for 5$ will buy it then. The best thing about steam is the discounts, and you need to plan the cost of your game with that in mind.

And why is the game called battle of champions? Why are they champions? Is it like in hunger games where each city has their "champion"? The name comes after the story, not the other way around.

Here's an idea I had for the classes. Why don't you define the classes by real-life skills?  Making the classes jobs like hunter, doctor, biologist and engineer, allowing them to be more proficcient at certain skills like tracking animals and players, giving better first aid and identifying diseases, identifying medicinal and poisonous plants, building better traps and weapons; besides having basic survival skills. And then this would enable synergy and counters, a biologist and a doctor would be pretty much immune to diseases, but a biologist with an engineer would make traps even more deadly by coating them in poison, while being countered by an hunter who could easily spot those traps... unless they were placed by another hunter who would know how to properly hide them. Being on a team with someone would give you small passive benefits as well, such as a pharmacist enabling you to spot common useful herbs close to you. This passive bonus could grow with time, so the longer you spend on a team with them the stronger they get.. or maybe you just want some basic knowledge and after that you'll have no further need of them. Backstabbing your team mate would also be possible with your special skills, a biologist could lie about the effects of a plant, a doctor give false advice on curing a disease and an engineer could make a trap that would backfire when you're mounting it. You'd need to give benefits to teaming up, but the bigger your team the bigger the chances a traitor will be among you.

Looks Awesome! :D

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

Well, if you're buying the graphical assets then your characters will need to be of the same quality and style. This is not an option, it's mandatory. Graphics that don't combine will be incredibly immersion breaking. If you can't find a good artist then don't bother buying those graphical assests, just make the game like minecraft or cubeworld. For a survival game the world needs to have more detail, but those types of graphics are more than enough for the game to be successful and won't be hard/expensive to make/buy. I played hunger games in minecraft and it was quite fun and had a shit-ton of people playing it. If your game has good playability, even if cuboid graphics, then you'll have a lot of people buying it and you will be able to profit from DLCs with extra game modes.

Also, sell the game fore 10$ minimum, any less will be suicide. Selling it for 10$ will mean that if you get into greenlight then you can sell thousands of copies for 10$ and then put it on discount and everyone else who would have bought it for 5$ will buy it then. The best thing about steam is the discounts, and you need to plan the cost of your game with that in mind.

And why is the game called battle of champions? Why are they champions? Is it like in hunger games where each city has their "champion"? The name comes after the story, not the other way around.

Here's an idea I had for the classes. Why don't you define the classes by real-life skills?  Making the classes jobs like hunter, doctor, biologist and engineer, allowing them to be more proficcient at certain skills like tracking animals and players, giving better first aid and identifying diseases, identifying medicinal and poisonous plants, building better traps and weapons; besides having basic survival skills. And then this would enable synergy and counters, a biologist and a doctor would be pretty much immune to diseases, but a biologist with an engineer would make traps even more deadly by coating them in poison, while being countered by an hunter who could easily spot those traps... unless they were placed by another hunter who would know how to properly hide them. Being on a team with someone would give you small passive benefits as well, such as a pharmacist enabling you to spot common useful herbs close to you. This passive bonus could grow with time, so the longer you spend on a team with them the stronger they get.. or maybe you just want some basic knowledge and after that you'll have no further need of them. Backstabbing your team mate would also be possible with your special skills, a biologist could lie about the effects of a plant, a doctor give false advice on curing a disease and an engineer could make a trap that would backfire when you're mounting it. You'd need to give benefits to teaming up, but the bigger your team the bigger the chances a traitor will be among you.

Okay, so, I shall try replying!

For the price, we plan on selling it for 10$ with the possibility of up to 50% off, Which should profit us (~1.5$ for a game on sale) a fair bit, even if we overdo the negative factors to be safe.

For the graphics, We've picked the asset packs because it fits really nicely with the graphics style we wanted, and if we get a 3d modeller we will ask him to do characters of that style, if we can't get a 3d modeller we will either go for Cube-based graphics, or not make the game at all, since a big part of what we want is good graphics.

We don't plan on selling DLC etc, and we don't care that much about profits really, we want to make the game as good for everyone as possible while still being able to afford the servers is really most of the concern.

The classes being based on real-life skills would be interresting, but the whole trap idea would seem kinda silly as the world would be way to large for the traps to actually work properly (Wouldn't be stepped on very much if at all) and the game should overall be more focused on melee combat, at least IMO/IOO.

For teams, I'm afraid that it would become to overpowered teaming up four players if you get extra bonuses, And if you do team you'll get a boost anyways, Since you're 2 players

For the traitor, If you have a team of 5 the 1 isn't going to trait against the other 4, he would get killed instantly so the traiting thing gets kinda unuseful if you're more than 2 really.

Will reply to other stuff when i have more time, But for now thanks for the Input!

DLC, expansion packs, whatever you call it. What I meant is that a cuboid game would make it easy to add extra game modes instead of pretty much creating a new game from scratch and you know there'll be no risk of the DLC not selling if the original did.

Again, I don't know much about the game, but traps in survival games are very useful. You set them up and then lure someone into it or just so you have somewhere to run. If I'm being tracked or targetted I would run into nearby traps and I'd have a huge advantage if I manage to get there. This is what survival is about: surviving. Brawn doesn't always win, you need classes that play strategically. Not to mention in a survival game you need points of interest. Imagine a plane/helicopter crash, different classes would be able to salvage different items from it, so anyone would always be interested in going there even if you know you won't be the first.. but a good trapper would make it much more hazardous. Water is usually the most important resource and if it's scarce then any creek or well can be effectively trapped as well.

For parties you need incentives to form a small party, disincentives to betray your party members and also disavantages for large parties. Incentives are done with synergy and buffs. Disincentives to betray your party members can be done with debuffs, mostly emotional/mental breakdowns like even if you fail you'll have a harder time to rest or something. Disavantages to large parties are the easiest, make resources scarce. A party requires sticking together, but sticking together means you won't find enough food to feed everyone which will either force you to become malnourished or separate yourselves, it's not really a problem in a survival game. A temporary alliance with several people might pay off, but a long term one will meet your demise. The buffs could also be diminished or you'd have to choose what to learn.

If the game is indeed focused on a melee combat then you shouldn't really call it a survival game, it's just a deathmatch.

• 2 weeks later...

DLC, expansion packs, whatever you call it. What I meant is that a cuboid game would make it easy to add extra game modes instead of pretty much creating a new game from scratch and you know there'll be no risk of the DLC not selling if the original did.

Again, I don't know much about the game, but traps in survival games are very useful. You set them up and then lure someone into it or just so you have somewhere to run. If I'm being tracked or targetted I would run into nearby traps and I'd have a huge advantage if I manage to get there. This is what survival is about: surviving. Brawn doesn't always win, you need classes that play strategically. Not to mention in a survival game you need points of interest. Imagine a plane/helicopter crash, different classes would be able to salvage different items from it, so anyone would always be interested in going there even if you know you won't be the first.. but a good trapper would make it much more hazardous. Water is usually the most important resource and if it's scarce then any creek or well can be effectively trapped as well.

For parties you need incentives to form a small party, disincentives to betray your party members and also disavantages for large parties. Incentives are done with synergy and buffs. Disincentives to betray your party members can be done with debuffs, mostly emotional/mental breakdowns like even if you fail you'll have a harder time to rest or something. Disavantages to large parties are the easiest, make resources scarce. A party requires sticking together, but sticking together means you won't find enough food to feed everyone which will either force you to become malnourished or separate yourselves, it's not really a problem in a survival game. A temporary alliance with several people might pay off, but a long term one will meet your demise. The buffs could also be diminished or you'd have to choose what to learn.

If the game is indeed focused on a melee combat then you shouldn't really call it a survival game, it's just a deathmatch.

It's not focused on melee combat entirely as you can indeed get a bow or create a slingshot from scavenged parts.

Also I thought I'd say that BoC (very likely to be renamed) is going on a hiatus for an unspecified amount of time ^_^ sorry guys, we however will not be idle... :D I'll leave it at that