Do your parents/family demand admin access, and if so do they deserve it?

asim1999

Thiers 4 computers in the house

they can use one of those ;)

Not my computers, not my network, I have no say in who has admin rights or not and I couldn't care. If I'm ever told there's a problem, I send them off to my dad to avoid it.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Eh, we each have our own PC and when I configured theirs, I just set them up as admin because I didn't want to be pestered every 5 minutes whenever they wanted to install another virus.

I wouldn't trust anyone in my family with my own computer. Or access to router config.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

My mum never uses a PC, doesn't no how windows works therefore sticks to using her phone, the same applies to my Dad

I deny admin access... to almost everyone...

I only give it to people I can trust...

My pc is open for everyone in the house to use, it doesn't even have a password ,everyone can access my account and have admin access. Nobody bothers to touch it though.

'Make sure to wear a wool sweater and to stand on a carpet while working on PC's' -Linus 2015

My computers no, but on my parents yes they are admins so I can use remote desktop software on my dads easier to fix things and my mom is competent enough to have it

Everybody in my family has admin rights except for my sister. On her netbook she has a limited account.

Even my grandma has admin rights.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

We don't share computers in our house. We each have our own. So everyone has admin access, but on their own machine.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Nope, none really care... I have my brothers password to his computer though. Only for testing stuff though. Everyone in my house has their own computer, I built mine, my brother had a dell prebuilt with a different psu from the original and a GTX 650ti, he gave me the computer in return for building him his new one. (If you're wondering, his old computer is in my signature, the motherboard recently got replaced and I threw it in my old terrible case since it was better than the dell one even though both lack cable management) Then my mom has a laptop, and my dad has two laptops. He uses a old blue ROG laptop with a first gen i5 and I think GTS 360M? Then the one he doesn't use and he hasn't gone through and gotten what he wants off of it and give it to me is a old Gateway FX laptop, yes one of those orange and black ones with a C2D and a 9800M GT.

TL;DR: Everyone in my house has their own computer and they really do not care.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

I have a PC (only I use it) so nope, they don't demand it.
Why? 
Well cuz they didn't pay for the computer, they didn't build it and I'm so paranoid when anyone is around it. that I bet they lost any desire to use it.

Everyone in my family has their own computer, and everyone but my mom (she knows enough to keep herself from messing up her computer) knows how to use a computer extremely well. So my family doesn't demand admin access and I don't give it to them.

I do, however, keep my computer password protected, since I don't want my family members going through my Skype and browser while I'm out because I know they'll get into things they shouldn't.

QUOTE when replying to others / Quality over Quantity in your posts / Avoid ambiguous topic titles

Desktop: "Shockwave" Core i7-5820K / GTX 970 SSC / ASUS X99 Deluxe / 16GB DDR4 / 120GB Samsung 850 EVO / 2TB WD Black Caviar
Laptop:  "Archippos"  Dell XPS 15:  Core i7-7700HQ  /  GTX 1050  /  16GB DDR4  /  512GB NVMe PCI-E SSD

I was reading the Non-Techies thread and a lot of parents apparently have admin rights, when they dont deserve it. 

Do your parents demand admin rights, and do you think they deserve it.

Mine do, and i dont know why. They use outdated PCs and never use my rig. They constantly pester me for tech support for the most basic things.

I will always deny them admin access as i am the one who built and maintains the desktop. My mum has a restricted user account BTW.

I told my mom not to use my computer (i trusted her so i didn't put a password on my computer), she doesn't like chrome so she installs Firefox and manages to install the ask toolbar and some other bloatware crap. I told her that she is making everything difficult cause i has to uninstall all of it and she doesn't dare touch my computer now :)

CPU: AMD FX-6300     COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO    MOBO: ASUS M5A97 R2.0    RAM: Team Vulcan 8Gb (4Gb x 2) , G-Skill Sniper (4Gb x 2)    PSU: Rosewill HIVE-750w    GPU: ASUS HD 7790 2Gb OC    CASE: NZXT Phantom 410    STORAGE: WD Black 1Tb , Intel 530 120Gb     AUDIO: HyperX Cloud , Sennheiser HD 518 , Audio Technica ATH-M30 , Sennheiser MM30G , Yamaha RX-V361 , Pioneer SP-BS22     PHONE: Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge     PERIPHERALS: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Classic , Logitech g502 ( Thanks Syntaxvgm <3 )

No, I demand admin from my parents, I have all their passwords, full control over the network and over every computer in my house including my brother's

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

My parents are divorced so it's a bit different.

My dad can use my rig as much as he wants, but he is quite scared of it for a weird reason because he is scared it will die.

Not that it's fragile or something, but my rig just likes to die randomly... Always my fault! But it just happens. He prefers that i so things with it if something needs to be done with it.

My mum... well, i found out thanks to my girlfriend telling me that her mom knows what we texts because my mom read my messages behind my back, so that was terrible to find that out.

Since then everything is protected, phones have a pattern, my pc has a password, it's simple to remove but it's enough to keep my mom outside of my private stuff. She doesn't demand it or anything, but she tries to get access anyway.

Do they deserve it? Umm i don't think so? Well i have not much to hide from them but tbh there is not much they could find out when they have access soo yea...

Maybe the funniest thing is that i do have access to all their stuff... But that's just because they want at least someone to know everything if something happens to them.

I also "make that mistake" by giving everything to my gf, but after 7 years she hasn't done a single thing i don't like so until now i'm happy with that decision.

TL:DR Dad has access, mom doesn't, none of them deserve it.

I have access to everything from them because they want that.

And my gf can get access to everything from me, and vica versa.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

My dad has admin access on my PC, and he deserves it. He didn't demand it, he doesn't look at my stuff, nor does he limit my usage.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

When I was younger, my mom thought that when I had my hand on the mouse when she walked in I was trying to quickly hide something when really I was clicking away at a website before she even walked in. She also criticized me for always clearing my history to free up space on my hard drive as if that's not what I was really intending and even for using a password for my computer.

Born too early to explore the galaxy, born too late to explore the seas, born just in time to make memes.

My mom has her own PC and I don't think she'd even use her Admin priviliges. She never asked about it. Nobody uses my PC other than my girlfriend and me, but I trust her enough with it so she can use my account.

My parents have no idea what admin access is... lol

Intel i5 4690k | NZXT Kraken x61 | MSI z97 Gaming 5 | MSI GTX 970 EVGA Supernova G2 750 G-Skill Ripjaws 16GB 2133mhz [2x8] | Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB HDD Samsung 850 EVO Series 250GB SSD NZXT H440 [black and Red]

Saving for a Dream rig :)

No, because well neither of my parents use a computer. Dad has an iPad which he barely uses. Mum used a computer at work in a limited way because there was one task she had to use it for as part of her job as a nurse.

I don't have a password on my PC, I do on my HTPC though because remote desktop is stupid. But I have it set to auto login anyway.

Case: Ncase M1 V5 Black CPU: Intel Core i5 12600 MB: AORUS Z690i RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 SSD: WD SN770 500GB | WD SN750 250GB

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra 8GB PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum Fans: Noctua NF-F12x 2 | Noctua NF-A9x14

Mom: "what's an admin?"

Dad: *just boots up linux and hijacks the password if he needs it*

So basically maybe and maybe.

I wouldn't trust my mom with admin right, because reasons and past experience.

My dad doesn't even need admin rights, but if he does, he'd just get them himself. bastard.

Since we all have different PCs it gets redundant :P

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

• 2 weeks later...

They know better

See I'm a 21st century digital boy,
I don't know how to live but I've got a lot of toys. 

I have no password to my own windows 8 account on my PC. Anyone could walk up there and screw with it and I don't care because I know I can fix it no matter what

Current Rig

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 @4.0ghz MOBO: MSI Z87m-G45 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8gb (2x4) CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120v GPU: MSI R9 270x PSU: EVGA 500W 80+ Case: Corsair Air 240 (modded) SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 500gb HDD: Samsung 1tb Apple Hard Drive Mouse: Razer Naga 2014