ASUS Video Cards

TygerStrype

So I'm making a list of items for a new build. (Time to say goodbye to my Dimension 8200)

I've watched tons of videos on the Asus GTX 680 card, was convinced that was the card to go with.  However, now there's the GTX 780 card.

So here's the bottom line question.... 

Why does the 680 have better spec's than the 780?  With the 780 you gain only an increase in cuda cores (yeah, whatever they do).

Here's a Newegg side by side:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007709%2050001315&IsNodeId=1&page=3&bop=And&CompareItemList=48%7C14-121-634%5E14-121-634-TS%2C14-121-779%5E14-121-779-TS&percm=14-121-634%3A%24%24%24%24%24%24%24

Thanks for your input.

You can't compare cards like that. 780 replaces the 680 and is better in every way. The number of CUDA cores is more important than the clock speed, they are the workhorses on Nvidia cards. With your way of comparing things the GTX 680 has better stats than the GTX Titan too.

The GTX 780 also has wider memory bus and more memory than the GTX 680, makes a huge difference in higher resolution or in a heavy texture modded Skyrim for example.

If you can't afford the GTX 780 I'd go for a 7970 rather than a 680, since the 7970 also has wider memory bus and more memory.

For future reference, the specs of the gpu aren't that important. Just pay attention to benchmarks.

Also, the 780 absolutely destroys the 680. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

It all comes down to architecture, not so much clock speeds anymore.

Yup I upgraded from a GTX 680 to a GTX 780 and automatically noticed a performance increase especially on 2560x1440.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

For future reference, the specs of the gpu aren't that important. Just pay attention to benchmarks.

Specs aren't important? How do you figure that?

The problem is, alot of people don't know how to look at them. Usually, people will just look at the number of cores and speed and count that.

What you really have to look for is stuff like memory size, bandwidth, and speed. Interface (well not so much) all that kind of stuff. 

Having said all that, you really do just have to look at benchmarks though, especially when you take game optimization into account. they're basically the summary of what the specs can do, so i totally see where you're coming from!

AMD 8350 // 8 GB Corsair Ram // PNY 780 Ti // Asus 1080p Monitor // Antec 120mm AIO // CM Quickfire TK w/ Custom Caps  // RAT 5 mouse // Audio Technica m50x // Behringer 4-line + Line6 8-line Audio Interfaces

Specs aren't important? How do you figure that?

The problem is, alot of people don't know how to look at them. Usually, people will just look at the number of cores and speed and count that.

What you really have to look for is stuff like memory size, bandwidth, and speed. Interface (well not so much) all that kind of stuff. 

Having said all that, you really do just have to look at benchmarks though, especially when you take game optimization into account. they're basically the summary of what the specs can do, so i totally see where you're coming from!

Aren't that* important. :P

I'm pretty sure if Nvidia and AMD tried, they could make a gpu with excellent specs that just has terrible benchmarks.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Aren't that* important. :P

I'm pretty sure if Nvidia and AMD tried, they could make a gpu with excellent specs that just has terrible benchmarks.

and by the opposite they coul make one with average specs that work well!

It's like sheet music, most people will see jibberish, some will have an idea, and some will be able to play Bach of it! but you're right, they aren't the be all and end al, but they are important!

AMD 8350 // 8 GB Corsair Ram // PNY 780 Ti // Asus 1080p Monitor // Antec 120mm AIO // CM Quickfire TK w/ Custom Caps  // RAT 5 mouse // Audio Technica m50x // Behringer 4-line + Line6 8-line Audio Interfaces

check out other brands... seriously... go with a brand that is known for good service

I7 3930K @4.4 GHz  /  Asus rampage 4 formula  / 4x 8gb kingston hyperx blue low profile / gtx 980  / 2x ssd 500gb samsung 840 / 500gb 840evo ssd   /  500 GB WD blue /  windows 7 ultimate
my build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/133477-750d-finished/

check out other brands... seriously... go with a brand that is known for good service

I don't think service matters as much for a gpu as it would for something like a laptop.

For a gpu, it's usually just rma if it doesn't work. If it does, you're solid.

I don't think service matters as much for a gpu as it would for something like a laptop.

For a gpu, it's usually just rma if it doesn't work. If it does, you're solid.

well, i had a 680 that didn't work, asus tried to repair (i made a topic about) but if you want something as a replacement until you eventually get it back, it's on the goodwill of your store or amazon or something where you buyed it.

don't call that a good service for such high end products, no store is gonna say: let's order an 680 for this guy to use untill he gets his back.

I7 3930K @4.4 GHz  /  Asus rampage 4 formula  / 4x 8gb kingston hyperx blue low profile / gtx 980  / 2x ssd 500gb samsung 840 / 500gb 840evo ssd   /  500 GB WD blue /  windows 7 ultimate
my build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/133477-750d-finished/

You can't compare cards like that. 780 replaces the 680 and is better in every way. The number of CUDA cores is more important than the clock speed, they are the workhorses on Nvidia cards. With your way of comparing things the GTX 680 has better stats than the GTX Titan too.

The GTX 780 also has wider memory bus and more memory than the GTX 680, makes a huge difference in higher resolution or in a heavy texture modded Skyrim for example.

If you can't afford the GTX 780 I'd go for a 7970 rather than a 680, since the 7970 also has wider memory bus and more memory.

After all the hours of comparing cards I've assumed that what I was doing was correct.  Thanks for your help!

Is or where does one go to see these benchmarks?  Is there a database of benchmarks/graphic cards somewhere.

I've never had any 'real' problems with any vendor, perhaps I've been lucky.  What brands should I consider or stay away from?

Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions.

Is or where does one go to see these benchmarks?  Is there a database of benchmarks/graphic cards somewhere?

I've never had any 'real' problems with any vendor, perhaps I've been lucky.  What brands should I consider or stay away from?

Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions.

Searching up cards on a card to card basis is useful. Also don't forget that overclocking capabilities and the lack thereof in benchmarks may skew results like the 760 seeming more powerful than the 7950. 

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6973/nvidia-geforce-gtx-780-review/7

Scroll down to the bottom to change what page//benchmark you're looking at.

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-780-vs-GeForce-GTX-680

http://www.hwcompare.com/14129/geforce-gtx-680-vs-geforce-gtx-780/

Always try to find multiple sources/benchmarks to get the best idea of the actual performance. Typing in '680 vs 780 benchmarks' or something like that is usually the way to go to find benchmarks.

Brands to stay away from depend on the product and personal bias. For example, I would love to get a gpu from evga but I would avoid their psus because their psus are not as good as other options like seasonic or antec but they are excellent for gpus and have good customer support.

Also, if you were to get a 780, you could possibly get a second 780 in the future and SLI them, to my knowledge 780's have better SLI scaling than the Titans do.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 @ Stock, CPU cooler: Dark Rock 4, Motherboard: MSI B450M PRO-M2 MAX, RAM: 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 @ 3000Mhz, GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 ACX 3.0, SSD: Crucial P1 1TB M.2 + 2x120GB SSDs, Case: Corsair 110R, PSU: Corsair TX650M, OS: Windows 10 64-bit.

I would personally go with EVGA because I have been using their gpus and haven't had a problem with them.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer