Project Space Saver - a custom wooden scratch build

Albert1998

how did you manage to do that thing where the led colour changes dependingon the temperature?

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

Beautiful. Much more compact than I ever managed too. Is it quiet?

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

Beautiful. Much more compact than I ever managed too. Is it quiet?

I will probably upload a video soon to let you guys hear it your self, but at idle I have managed to get it completely silent. The CPU fan spins at 600 to 800 rpm and the case fans around 1000 rpm. The PSU is most of the time silent because it is semi-passive. When in load the fans have to ramp up a bit, but the CPU fan and PSU fan are still inaudible. The case fans get to 1600-1800 rpm and make a slight noise, when playing music on low volume or gaming already makes you not able to hear those. The loudest component is the GPU. In idle it is the same story as the other fans. But under load the fans have to ramp up to around 2400 rpm. This makes the GPU very audible, but not irritating or anything like that. Considering the fans ramped up to around 2200 rpm in my previous case (with a couple of 120mm fans blowing fresh air onto the GPU), I think I did a great job with the cooling. Temperatures and such will also be posted any time soon.

Crazy Custom Wooden Case Project: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/LN8KHx

I will probably upload a video soon to let you guys hear it your self, but at idle I have managed to get it completely silent. The CPU fan spins at 600 to 800 rpm and the case fans around 1000 rpm. The PSU is most of the time silent because it is semi-passive. When in load the fans have to ramp up a bit, but the CPU fan and PSU fan are still inaudible. The case fans get to 1600-1800 rpm and make a slight noise, when playing music on low volume or gaming already makes you not able to hear those. The loudest component is the GPU. In idle it is the same story as the other fans. But under load the fans have to ramp up to around 2400 rpm. This makes the GPU very audible, but not irritating or anything like that. Considering the fans ramped up to around 2200 rpm in my previous case (with a couple of 120mm fans blowing fresh air onto the GPU), I think I did a great job with the cooling. Temperatures and such will also be posted any time soon.

What monitors are those in the final setup?Just interested 

Insert   Dank   Signature   Here.

That's quieter than I managed on mine, I've got a 2500 RPM ThermalRight TY-143 strapped to my CPU... 

I'll replace the CM Hyper212 with something beefier.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

That's quieter than I managed on mine, I've got a 2500 RPM ThermalRight TY-143 strapped to my CPU... 

I'll replace the CM Hyper212 with something beefier.

Not that I wan't to help Be Quiet! because they sponsored me, but just replace the fan on the 212 with a Pure Wings 2. A 212 with a Pure Wings 2 fan should be overkill for your 7850, and it should be quiet (see what I did there :)) since the fan can't get above 1500rpm. Don't believe me? Well, try it out yourself (the fan only costs around 10 euros/dollars).

Oh how nice, we are both in our final year, wat ga jij doen volgend jaar?

Not that I wan't to help Be Quiet! because they sponsored me, but just replace the fan on the 212 with a Pure Wings 2. A 212 with a Pure Wings 2 fan should be overkill for your 7850, and it should be quiet (see what I did there :)) since the fan can't get above 1500rpm. Don't believe me? Well, try it out yourself (the fan only costs around 10 euros/dollars).

The fan isn't the problem because the fins feel cold and the part that contacts the cpu is hot. I think the lack of more than four heatpipes is the limiting factor here.

The fan isn't the problem because the fins feel cold and the part that contacts the cpu is hot. I think the lack of more than four heatpipes is the limiting factor here.

I think you're in for an upgrade. Try the new noctua top down blowing one that logan checked out or the phanteks one that is also that style. Btw love your build as an idea and as execution

I am a member of the PCMasterRace. I am terribly sad to announce that I own a PeasantStation 3 Super Slim. it's in a drawer away from my glorious PC.
F@H stats:http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=userpage&username=AngelKoura

I think you're in for an upgrade. Try the new noctua top down blowing one that logan checked out or the phanteks one that is also that style. Btw love your build as an idea and as execution

Thanks. Well, I was actually looking at the Cooler Master TPC 800.

Thanks. Well, I was actually looking at the Cooler Master TPC 800.

I had completely forgotten that this even existed. it's amazing. one of my friends is running his g3258 @1.412V daily @5.1ghz and he never gets over 80 degrees. it's a delidded chip though but still amazing.

I am a member of the PCMasterRace. I am terribly sad to announce that I own a PeasantStation 3 Super Slim. it's in a drawer away from my glorious PC.
F@H stats:http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=userpage&username=AngelKoura

I had completely forgotten that this even existed. it's amazing. one of my friends is running his g3258 @1.412V daily @5.1ghz and he never gets over 80 degrees. it's a delidded chip though but still amazing.

Yeah, I heard it's pretty good too. But I think I'll just wait until summer's over and the problem will go away. It's 30C here so it's not surprising the system is having problems keeping itself cool and quiet at the same time.

• 8 months later...

Guys, after half a year I am able again to login to my account! Thanks to Whaler_99.

Because of the password hack stuff half a year ago I couldn't finish this buildlog. Is there still interest in an final update? With temps and such?

large.IMG_20160130_211109.jpg.a447d1b246

3 hours ago, Albert1998 said:

Guys, after half a year I am able again to login to my account! Thanks to Whaler_99.

Because of the password hack stuff half a year ago I couldn't finish this buildlog. Is there still interest in an final update? With temps and such?

Uhhh, yes!!

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

10 hours ago, Albert1998 said:

Oh hell yes.

8 hours ago, 0ld_Chicken said:

Uhhh, yes!!

1 hour ago, TheCamba said:

Absolutely, even  if I just discovered this thread!

1 hour ago, bear-in-the-air said:

Oh hell yes.

Okay then, within a couple of days I will post a new update. I am currently busy with my final exams so I don't know when I have the time to do so. 

• 10 months later...

large.58d2804b5eb75_Updateithasbeenawhil

Well, here we are. One year later and I still have to fulfill a promise. I know it has been a while, but I had a very busy year and I didn't feel like coming back to the forums. I started to miss this forum though, and since last time some interesting things have been changed. 

For a start, the setup was moved into a new house. Finally it looks like the PC has enough breathing room. I build some new desks to go along the new room as well. The audio department got a big upgrade. I now use a pair of JBL Arena 130's in combination with a 40 year old Philips amp eq combo. It sounds amazing!

large.58d27e90aaaaa_PSS1.png.e970f9f22b7

large.58d27e91bb4e6_PSS2.png.9acdd2d1a11

large.58d27e92c835b_PSS3.png.656d1059225

large.58d27e9487da5_PSS4.png.938b7898369

large.58d27e95ce8fb_PSS5.png.6212978cbce

And here the promised temps and such, ambient temp is around 20 degrees Celsius. While doing light work:

large.58d27e96a155f_PSS6.png.a9774e431e5

After a gaming session:

large.58d27e9723892_PSS7.png.f8c154588ce

Valley benchmark result:

large.58d27e97bfeef_PSS8.png.eef481e70c2

It has been a long time and I don't know if there are still people following this thread and have interest in this project and I have no idea what you guys want to know about the project. Feel free to ask anything. 

This project was sort of a experiment. Building in a wooden PC is not an everyday thing. Thus far I haven't encountered any problems with the PC and I have been using it for almost 2 years now. 

Thanks for watching, have a nice day!

On 3/22/2017 at 9:01 AM, Albert1998 said:

-snip-

Great update!  I like seeing where projects have gone even after a long time.

Looks good! Looking forward to hearing those JBL speakers!