Confusing question.. POWERLINE. HELP

iTzCharizardi

I have 100mbs internet hooked up to power-line then through the wires to another receiver in my room i get about 20mbs down and 12 mbs up, if i put a router, in my room/Ethernet switch into a 4 port ethernet card will this improve speed?

INO CONFUSING

BUT you guys are wizards ahaa :p

So.. You have internet into your house into some device, which then hooks into powerline... then the other end is in your room. Question is, if you add a router in room, will this improve speed? What is this test? The powerline speed, or you actual internet speed?

First off, what speed is your power line? And are we dealing with MB/s (bytes) or Mb/s (bits)? Most Powerline are "rated" for either 200Mb/s or 500Mb/s - but that is an ideal situation. I never get close to that on my 500Mb/s units.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

If you have a 100MB internet connection and are getting only around 20MB at your computer there is a serious bottleneck somewhere.

if i put a router, in my room/Ethernet switch into a 4 port ethernet card will this improve speed?

Also, what are you trying to explain here? Are you going to put a router/switch in your room? Are you going to use 4 cables to your computer? Please explain a little more.

Thanks

So.. You have internet into your house into some device, which then hooks into powerline... then the other end is in your room. Question is, if you add a router in room, will this improve speed? What is this test? The powerline speed, or you actual internet speed?

First off, what speed is your power line? And are we dealing with MB/s (bytes) or Mb/s (bits)? Most Powerline are "rated" for either 200Mb/s or 500Mb/s - but that is an ideal situation. I never get close to that on my 500Mb/s units.

my 200mbit powerline only has fast Ethernet so that may be a cause of slower than expected speeds

The Cake is a Lie...

I'm not quite sure how they have Fast Ethernet on a device they say can do 200mbit. The name fast ethernet refers to an ethernet standard that can only carry 100mbit/s or the equivalent of 12.5MB/s.

okay, its a 500mbps powerline and i have downstairs the virgin superhub which has an Ethernet cable into my powerline adapter then sends the signal to a reciver upstairs and the straight into my computer, im asking if putting a router in my room, so i have an Ethernet cable into a modem then 4 Ethernet cables go from the modem to my computer.

and im not too sure i pay for 100mbs which im guessing is bits....

thanks

This might seem like a dumb question. But is 100Mb/s you're internet connection speed or your established netwrokd speed?

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

its my internet connection speed like i pay virgin for this fibre optic speed

Ahh.. ok - so, you do only have a 100Mbit connection - which, is about 12MB/s - so I assume you are gowing to something like speedtest.net to test?

First thing, you need to narrow things down - maybe the issue is powerline, maybe not. Take something, your PC if it is all you got, and plug it directly into the modem from Virgin and do your test to verify your speeds. Only then can you call and complain if you are not getting your paid for speed.

Second, a router in your room won't make anything faster. If you are plugged direct into your powerline, and it is slow... Might be shoody wiring in the house.... but until you test directly on the modem itself, you won't know what the true issue is...

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Yep - so your issue is most likely powerline. First, try different plugs if possible. Also, in the plug were you have the powerline module plugged in, make sure nothing else is plugged into it. But in the end, if you electrical isn't great, this will also effect speed. Any option for powerful wireless?

Yep - so your issue is most likely powerline. First, try different plugs if possible. Also, in the plug were you have the powerline module plugged in, make sure nothing else is plugged into it. But in the end, if you electrical isn't great, this will also effect speed. Any option for powerful wireless?
Wireless is abit awful in my experience can you link me to a powerful pci wireless adapter?

Nothing comes to mind - depends on what is available where you are, but look for something wireless N (dual band) that you can run at 5Ghz and has multiple antenna. Better still if they are portable so you can place them up high. Also, make sure you AP supports dual band - 5Ghz wireless. If not, 2.4 is ok, just subject to more interference. Just make sure both ends have MIIMO...