Pentagon to deploy huge blimps over Washington, DC for 360-degree surveillance

EChondo

http://rt.com/usa/army-raytheon-jlens-blimps-594/

A pair of high-tech Army blimps is coming to the greater Washington, DC area, and soon they will be able to provide the military with surveillance powers that spans hundreds of millions of acres from North Carolina to Niagara Falls, Canada.

The airships are part of Raytheon’s Joint Land Attack Cruise Missile Defense Elevated Netted Sensor System, or JLENS, and when all is said and done they’ll offer the United States military what the defense contractor calls “an affordable elevated, persistent over-the-horizon sensor system” that relies on “a powerful integrated radar system to detect, track and target a variety of threats.”

Once above the nation’s capital, JLENS will allow the Army to see for 320 miles in any direction from 10,000 feet above the earth. The system can be set up to operate on its own for an entire month without requiring refueling, and offers the Pentagon surveillance capabilities that dwarf other options at a penny of the cost.

4.si.jpg

Wow, talk about overkill. Seems like a huge radar, but way stronger than a radar  :wacko:

What would happen if they started to monitor beyond Niagara Falls, maybe....Quebec? How do you think Canada would to react.

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

What would happen if they started to monitor beyond Niagara Falls, maybe....Quebec? How do you think Canada would to react.

"Sorry!"

"Sorry!"

We (Canadians) will attack them with our only jet....

Just kidding, I love Canada, and although we have small army,  we have a good one.

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

We (Canadians) will attack them with our only jet....

Just kidding, I love Canada, and although we have small army,  we have a good one.

I highly doubt Canada would ever attack the US, but you could see things like closing the border, trade embargos, that sort of thing. 

I highly doubt Canada would ever attack the US, but you could see things like closing the border, trade embargos, that sort of thing. 

We would NEVER attack the US, we would get destroyed. They could roll up tanks near Saskatchewan and we wouldn't be able to do anything. But we are a peace keeping nation. We don't attack unless we get attacked first. Plus, we have a lot of allies. The United States needs us, trust me.

We would NEVER attack the US, we would get destroyed. They could roll up tanks near Saskatchewan and we wouldn't be able to do anything. But we are a peace keeping nation. We don't attack unless we get attacked first. Plus, we have a lot of allies. The United States needs us, trust me.

THings get more political here.

If they do, then I won't be able to keep up :P 

What's the point of these anyways, all it takes is China to hack into US government sites and boom, US goes blind. Someone has to keep an eye them.

Woo! Balloons!

.. Right?

United States of All-Your-Base-Are-Belong-To-Us

Current Rig: i5 3570K @ 4.2 GHz, Corsair H100i, Asus Maximus V Gene, Asus GTX 970 Turbo, Patriot Viper Black Mamba 8 GB DDR-3 1600 (2x4GB), Sandisk 120 GB SSD + Seagate 500 GB HDD + WD Blue 1 TB HDD, XFX 750W Black Edition, Corsair 350D - https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/cbxrxr