Prometheus: CAD/workstation/gaming

graw1187

My dad is a electrical contractor and recently had a large contract that required a better workstation compared to his TouchSmart with a phenom. So, he set aside about 4K for an extreme build and had me pick the parts and build it. So with the help of my friend (theeoracle), we built this beast in 4 hours. Parts: BitFenix Colossus, Asus Sabertooth Z87, Intel core i7 4770k, Corsair H100i with SP120s, 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum, 2x WD Black 1TB drives in RAID 0, 120GB Samsung 840 SSD, nVidia GeForce GTX 780, Corsair AX1200. Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013, Razer Deathadder, 2x Asus MX279H monitors. Not the nicest build, but a butt load of nice parts. 

post-12211-0-05136400-1374798949_thumb.j

post-12211-0-27350100-1374798953_thumb.j

post-12211-0-56768600-1374798959_thumb.j

post-12211-0-89136900-1374798963.jpg

post-12211-0-23324500-1374798970_thumb.j

post-12211-0-03557400-1374798974_thumb.j

post-12211-0-49540900-1374798979.jpg

post-12211-0-49369400-1374798983_thumb.j

post-12211-0-07581900-1374798989_thumb.j

post-12211-0-94663800-1374798994.jpg

Nice build buddy.

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

On a 4k budget, this build is actually pretty underwhelming. I mean, if you wanted a workstation for CAD, you could have easily went with an Nvdia Quadro or even a Titan with it's double precision capability would have been a good choice.

On a 4k budget, this build is actually pretty underwhelming. I mean, if you wanted a workstation for CAD, you could have easily went with an Nvdia Quadro or even a Titan with it's double precision capability would have been a good choice.

well total was 3600 and parts not including peripherals was around $2,900. Then tax, shipping, etc. 

Why blue light on h100i!? and why blue dominator light bars!? 

Amazing stuff.

Though I'm curious as to why you didn't go X79 for a $4K CAD workstation...

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

Why blue light on h100i!? and why blue dominator light bars!? 

they're white! lul just looks blue

Bill Cosby it looks blue but it is really white.and the light bars on the dominator that is the stock white light that comes with the  dominator's.

Amazing stuff.

Though I'm curious as to why you didn't go X79 for a $4K CAD workstation...

thanks and that's what i planned at first, but then z87 came out and i wanted to beef up the gpu because its also a gaming system as well. Light CAD work 

well total was 3600 and parts not including peripherals was around $2,900. Then tax, shipping, etc. 

Still think you should have gone with a Titan.

a titan is for bragging rights  seeing that the performance is similar and the price is significantly more.

Yeah, had to haggle with my dad though already the original plan was a 3k build and it progressed to this, had to save some money. 

If this is a workstation, then the Titan would have been the way to go. If its primarily gaming, then 780. 

and emphasis on "light CAD" because he's an electrical contractor and a gamer so the cad is light and the gaming is beastly 

If this is a workstation, then the Titan would have been the way to go. If its primarily gaming, then 780. 

This. My thoughts exactly.

and emphasis on "light CAD" because he's an electrical contractor and a gamer so the cad is light and the gaming is beastly 

The problem is, you didn't say anything about "emphasis on light CAD" until after the fact. Either way, I'm just underwhelmed by the build. That's all.

The problem is, you didn't say anything about "emphasis on light CAD" until after the fact. Either way, I'm just underwhelmed by the build. That's all.

The thing is though I said my dad is an electrical contractor so if you had knowledge in that field, you could deduct that would involve light CAD. 

Looks sexy :) It's a shame that you didn't get the Windowed version of the Colossus so you could see the components but at least it has a more uniform look.

#OhCrap #KilledMyWife

The thing is though I said my dad is an electrical contractor so if you had knowledge in that field, you could deduct that would involve light CAD. 

For future reference... deduce*

I don't have knowledge in that field so i fail to see your point. I do, however, have knowledge in workstation builds. And this build just doesn't pass the bar, IMO.

Lol, I like how @theeoracle went to my profile and reduced my profile rating.

attachicon.gifyou-mad-bro-.jpg

sorry i didn't meet your standards. Decent build though IMO. lul sorry my friend failed to see the benefits of the titan. I complete agree though that a titan or x79 platform would have worked.