[Review] iPhone 6 Plus Review (7 Months of use)

BrandonTheCat

500th post! Yay!

Before I begin, as my other reviews states, I want to inform the iOS vs Android vs Windows thing, is not allowed here. I have chosen the iPhone and is what I will review here. Suggestions for reviews can be PM’ed to me.

With that out of the way, Let’s review on what I would call, “The iPad Mini Replacement”

phab·let

ˈfablət/

noun trademark

noun: phablet; plural noun: phablets

1 a smartphone having a screen which is intermediate in size between that of a typical smartphone and a tablet computer."a 3.5 inch screen is inadequate in a market that is trending towards phablets"

The iPhone 6+ is a device that was kinda forced to be released from apple. My thoughts were that Android devices were pushing that “Big device life” and “Stupidly high pixel density”, that apple had to put out a device that would make both of those arguments valid to apple users. So, with the release of the iPhone 6+ 8 months ago, lets see if apple did it for those specific users.

[intro]

As always, we start with the initial unboxing impressions. The iPhone was beautifully packaged with perfect smells and simple packaging. Rock on apple. You are really the only true company to ever do this. Awesome.

The charging thing. Right. In my honest opinion, apple could have included a 10W USB charger, like they include on the iPad’s. The phone is really zippy when it charges with that 10W. Would've liked to see that. Apple still hasn't fixed that stupid cable problem, and I don't think they ever will. Sad, so sad.

When I first picked it up, I always thought it was going to fall out of my hands. Some causes of this would be that its a LOT heavier than the iPhone 5, and its significantly wider and taller, so I couldn't get a grip with it. The finish on the back of the device was insanely smooth, and that Apple logo felt really nice to the touch, but lets move on.

That screen, Is an engineering marvel. Its a 1080p IPS display with 401PPI. I couldn't believe what I was looking at when I first saw it. Blacks are deep and literally looks like an OLED screen, and the viewing angles. MAN those viewing angles. The screen literally looks like its laminated on the screen. There was NO space in-between the glass and the screen itself. If anyone would like to tell me how the hell they did that, please. I would love to know.

As we are on topic I guess this is a good time to talk about the glass. This is about the worst thing I could come up with about the entire phone. the glass for all you spec nerds is what apple calls “Ion-x glass”. Essentially its just gorilla glass 4. And to my disappointment, its worse than the iPhone 5 screen. I got scratches all over that screen since day one. Its about the worst glass I’ve ever used on a device, but Having sapphire on a surface area that big would be impossible, so I understand why they did it.
Let’s move on to the physical overview on the left we find a toggle switch for mute and volume control. On the right we find a power button and a sim tray. On the top we find… Nothing.. And on the bottom, we find headphone, microphone, power and a speaker. I’ll never see apple put a front firing speaker anywhere at anytime, so forget about the speaker. It sounds like a side firing speaker, and thats all you need to know.

The cameras are another thing that I would like to see changed. the front facing camera is as bad as my Mac’s camera, and anything like it. Meaning it looks horrible. The rear facing camera is really nice, although I would've liked to see more pixels in the thing. What makes it nice is the focus, ISO, and color you get out of it. Its as if apple is trying to veer away from pixels and pay more attention to those things. You don't need a lot of pixels in a camera and if you did, they would have done it a long time ago.

Battery life should last around 10 hours, but for my use I found that I lasted around 8 hours which is way better than any phone I have ever owned.

So far, all this stuff you could have figured out from reading a spec sheet. A lot of people don't like the sheer size of the 6+. So What is thing like to actually use? I have been using this iPhone for about 7 months now. And would like to share my experiences with this device.

Lets start with going on the plane. This thing is not an iPad at all, but with a full 1080p display at a 16:9 aspect ratio, this thing is perfect for any flights or business trips that require a movie or some music to keep you sane for that long. it has a 6-12 hour battery that can keep that display chugging along. Absolutely brilliant. Download your favorite movies, and head onto the open road (or air in this case)

Apple pay was more of something that I have tried once or twice. I guess the issue is no merchants that are really big near us really has it, and ill put it at this: Apple pay is so damn simple to use, that it feels like you aren't spending any real money. So if more merchants support it, there revenue should really go high.

In school taking notes was more user friendly than my iPhone 5. Because of that big screen, I was able to load up excel and view spreadsheets, or work on a word document, without having to carry an iPad around. Really nice for those students/editors out there.

For those idiots out there no, my phone has not bent yet. I haven't put a case on it and never will.

The popping out camera thing is actually a huge problem for me. The ring around helens is being scratched to hell, and lost its color over time. not a huge problem but very VERY annoying.

As far as anything else, thats about all I could come up with. iPhones typically have those features that no one cares about, and the features that everyone cares about. I have no problem with any of the screen size issues, and I’ve never dropped this thing once. I really love iPhones for their simplicity and ease of use. I guess this device is more for the people who travel a lot, or who want to have the “Best of the best” iPhone. Thank you for reading this far, some people do the usual TL;DR but some people actually read this far. Thank you if you are one of those people.

My review on my macbook air is here and the apple watch review is coming soon!

For the price it better be perfect  :lol:

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

I went for white on my 6, because its shows less fingerprints with a white bezel, and the aluminum on the back & camera lens isn't painted (it's the natural color), so it doesn't chip and scratch like the gold/grey models.

Solid review ^_^

Only reason I didnt go with 6+ over 6 is because my hands arent big enough :( But the 6 fits my hands just right if not a tad too big, so Im happy.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

I went for white on my 6, because its shows less fingerprints with a white bezel, and the aluminum on the back & camera lens isn't painted (it's the natural color), so it doesn't chip and scratch like the gold/grey models.

Yeah, Thats probably wise at this point.

Solid review ^_^

Only reason I didnt go with 6+ over 6 is because my hands arent big enough :( But the 6 fits my hands just right if not a tad too big, so Im happy.

see, I dont have that problem. I almost never grip my phone by the sides, I just hold it on the back.

see, I dont have that problem. I almost never grip my phone by the sides, I just hold it on the back.

Ive never grown to that method, looks to awkward IMO and if I were to hold my phone like that in the hallways at school Id probably end up with a broken phone a few times a semester :P

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Ive never grown to that method, looks to awkward IMO and if I were to hold my phone like that in the hallways at school Id probably end up with a broken phone a few times a semester :P

Get an Xperia Z2 and don't worry about a thing. I mean seriously Sony didn't have a phone in their minds when building the Z2, they must have been thinking about tanks. I have dropped it like 10-15 times from quite a height and the only thing that I have managed to do is get it a little chipped and have a couple of scratches on the back xD

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

Get an Xperia Z2 and don't worry about a thing. I mean seriously Sony didn't have a phone in their minds when building the Z2, they must have been thinking about tanks. I have dropped it like 10-15 times from quite a height and the only thing that I have managed to do is get it a little chipped and have a couple of scratches on the back xD

More of an iPhone type of guy :( And yes, Ive used both.

More of an iPhone type of guy :( And yes, Ive used both.

come_to_the_darkside_by_sali666.jpg

come_to_the_darkside_by_sali666.jpg

I got cookies too, rekt

I got cookies too, rekt

But... but ours are free and open and green and nicely designed :(

Solid review ^_^

I love my 6, the 6+'s only benefits are the image stabilization and a full 1080p display, so 1080p movies/YT videos look great. The 6 only supports 720 even thought the resolution is higher...

Solid review and well written.

Welcome to the no-case-club.  :D

Solid review and well written.

Welcome to the no-case-club. :D

Yeah I think cases are either too bulky or it takes the beauty away from the phone. Thanks for the compliment! :D

Yeah I think cases are either too bulky or it takes the beauty away from the phone. Thanks for the compliment! :D

You are welcome - I even had to read your Mac Book review afterwards  ;) .

I always feel bad to put a $5 case on a design someone put so much thought and time into and I want the best possible screen to bezel ratio.