Hello everybody.

I recently bought an LG 29UM67 (-P) from Frys.com. I love the monitor so far except for 1 flaw that is quite annoying. That flaw being the fact that whenever I enable Freesync within the monitors settings I get a small 2 pixel tall grey line that spans across the entire bottom of the display. This line seems to also affect the top of the display by cutting off 2 pixels at the top (as if the image on screen becomes un-calibrated and shifts up 2 pixels, leaving an area devoid of an image at the bottom of the screen). This issue persists after having returned the same monitor once before and also testing the monitor with 2 different DisplayPort cables. I have made sure that my GPU is freesync ready, as it is an MSI R9 290x Lightning. A few other purchasers have also had this issue, although it was extremely hard to find them as this issue seems to be quite rare. I found the other purchasers commenting on this video: 

We narrowed the issue down to a firmware bug within the monitor, although when I contacted LG they disproved this theory by explaining that this monitor was plug and play and had no way of a firmware update/fix. I’ve also tested this issue with multiple AMD drivers and the issue persisted. I’m hoping it’s not my GPU, although if it is I’ll have to look into getting it returned under warranty. So my question to whoever reads this post is the following. 1. Are there any programs that could alter the area the GPU renders pixels for? (As a software solution to using a monitors/projectors own controls to shift the picture back onto the screen if it becomes un-calibrated). 2. Has anyone in this forum had any issue similar to this, am I just searching this wrong, or is this unreported and unknown to almost everybody? 3. Do you think Frys was given a bad batch, or is it my GPU?

Other relevant information:

- AMD freesync mode is enabled in catalyst control center when all the other screens are disabled using the PC screen only mode in Windows 8.1 

- This issue doesn't simply affect viewing in windows 8.1, the issue also seems to persist within both the bios and the boot process. 

- I'll be including a few pictures, 1 of which will show the grey line at the bottom of the display. The other will show the image being cutoff at the top of the display (kinda hard to see it, but I can assure you that the image is cutoff). And the last one will show the resolution that can be selected in War Thunder in an eyefinity display group with freesync on in the monitors settings (Yes, I know freesync doesn't actually work in eyefinity but it was one of the only ways to show the true vertical resolution of the display with the freesync setting enabled) The resolution is supposed to be 6400x1080 (2x 1080p monitors + LG 29UM67-P) although it is different with the issue. Last time I looked at the resolution in War Thunder when in eyefinity / pseudo freesync mode the resolution was 6400x1076, now it's 6400x1074 (maybe the issue is getting worse?).

-Thanks in advance.

post-215091-0-02379600-1435271677_thumb.

post-215091-0-83163800-1435273074_thumb.

post-215091-0-10567600-1435273086_thumb.

Hey, again ;) Yes I got this same exact issue with asus 290x DCII and GTX 960 :D

Freesync from monitor menu, only way to get 75hz and these pixel stripes:

13865432.jpg

Freesync mode OFF from monitor menu vs ON:

13864962.jpg

Sorry for crappy video (nexus 5) and made a little mistake with wrong monitor tab..:

290x, G3258, 16gb memory,z97 and Win 8.1 64bit:

Usign this cable: http://www.deltaco.eu/en/product/(DP-1020-K)/Deltaco-DP-1020---DisplayPort-cable---DisplayPort-(M)---DisplayPort-(M)---2-m---black/

That cable works just fine with my new "used" ROG swift 144hz with g-sync :)

• 5 weeks later...

Yep, glad I'm not the only one having the same exact issue (small 2 pixel tall grey line that spans across the entire bottom of the display) when activating FreeSync from my monitor in the menus. I've purchased it from Newegg at the end of June. 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824025112

Rig Specs: Asus X99 Deluxe mobo with 2x XFX 290x GPU

During troubleshooting, I've reverting back to the older AMD beta catalyst driver 15.5 from the latest 15.7 as well with replacing my displayport cable and still the annoying 2 rows of grey pixels at the bottom.

Planning to send this monitor back to Newegg as I am still within their standard return policy period for another one. I'm hoping to see if can get a replacement from a different manufacturing week from LG with a fixed to their firmware (as hugotheholder stated) to address this issue when FreeSync is activated on the monitor.

Has anyone done a replacement for this monitor and found that it was fixed when FreeSync was enable to stay with LG or switch to a different brand FreeSync monitor before jumping ship to switch to team green (Nvidia card and gsync monitor)?

Thanks!

post-247260-0-98696900-1437832576_thumb.

post-247260-0-98696900-1437832576_thumb.

• 4 weeks later...

Yep, same here with me too. In BIOS and in Windows when Freesync enabled (on the monitor). With Freesync enabled on the monitor and Freesync disabled in CCC the grey line remains.

Odd thing is, we all have 290Xs?

May have to contact LG about this. For a monitor worth £400, not really acceptable.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same issue. Does anyone know how to fix it?

MSI Radeon R9 390X Gaming 8G

Hey everyone,

I have the same monitor - only difference is I have a GTX 970 (I'm not using FreeSync). I only noticed this problem in the last couple days, and I've narrowed down the problem.

I get the same 1 pixel of grey lines ONLY WHEN USING DISPLAYPORT. If I'm using an HDMI cable, the problem goes away completely. Of course, this doesn't help you AMD users, since you wouldn't be able to use FreeSync without DisplayPort.

However, there's something else interesting going on: it doesn't actually look like you're losing any pixels with the grey line. I created this image file to test the grey line (attached). Something I whipped up quickly in photoshop - the red and green lines are both a pixel in width.

If you load up the picture and make it fullscreen, you'll notice that the grey line does NOT make the red or green lines disappear. What this means is that the grey line isn't actually causing any loss of pixels. Curious.

Hope that sheds some light on the problem.

post-257215-0-38775600-1441044212_thumb.

I have:
LG29UM67-P
connected to Displayport
with HD7950 Crossfire
on Windows 10 Pro / Catalyst 15.7.1,
and when I enable Freesync I also get the same lines on the very bottom on my LG. When I disable Freesync it disappears. I thought I broke my monitor lol.

Hey everyone,

I have the same monitor - only difference is I have a GTX 970 (I'm not using FreeSync). I only noticed this problem in the last couple days, and I've narrowed down the problem.

I get the same 1 pixel of grey lines ONLY WHEN USING DISPLAYPORT. If I'm using an HDMI cable, the problem goes away completely. Of course, this doesn't help you AMD users, since you wouldn't be able to use FreeSync without DisplayPort.

However, there's something else interesting going on: it doesn't actually look like you're losing any pixels with the grey line. I created this image file to test the grey line (attached). Something I whipped up quickly in photoshop - the red and green lines are both a pixel in width.

If you load up the picture and make it fullscreen, you'll notice that the grey line does NOT make the red or green lines disappear. What this means is that the grey line isn't actually causing any loss of pixels. Curious.

Hope that sheds some light on the problem.

Excellent picture to test with. Thank you.

Although, I rotated the image 180° (had to resize back to 2560x1080 also) and you get the red line at the top without FreeSync and not with Freesync.

The issue is definitely causing a loss of pixels. Two rows at the top. The image is shifted two pixels up.

This is a cock-up on LG's part. I shall be contacting them tomorrow to see what they say. I shall report back.

Wow. Didn't realize my original thread had actually gained some attention. Haven't checked back since mid July. Joe, since you seem to be contacting LG, I would ask that you tell them you're currently on a forum thread with other people with the same problem as yours. When I contacted them, they chalked it up to my GPU or cable, but didn't really think much about the possibility of a batch of these monitors having the same defect. 

Wow. Didn't realize my original thread had actually gained some attention. Haven't checked back since mid July. Joe, since you seem to be contacting LG, I would ask that you tell them you're currently on a forum thread with other people with the same problem as yours. When I contacted them, they chalked it up to my GPU or cable, but didn't really think much about the possibility of a batch of these monitors having the same defect. 

Yes, I will get on to them when I can tomorrow or over the weekend for definite. Been so busy. But no, this is not on. LG must rectify this issue.

I've seen this issue with lots of different places, including this Amazon review (where I replied to one know-it-all commenter). http://www.amazon.com/review/R14K6YC5BL6YYL  :)

Also having the same issue.

I've contacted LG a few days ago, they said the problem had to be escalated to the technical department. I will report here once I hear back from them.

Also having the same issue.

I've contacted LG a few days ago, they said the problem had to be escalated to the technical department. I will report here once I hear back from them.

Awesome, yes, please do. Thank you.

I have the 34UM67.

Edit: Have just sent Scan a RMA request also, I'm interested to see what they say, will report back also.

Further Edit: Have just rung LG directly after Scan's advice.

Spoke to a very helpful lady who put me on hold as she spoke to the technical department. After about 5 mins she came back to say that they are aware of the issue and have had many other customers report this issue. They are just awaiting for head office to make a decision for the possible solution (hopefully recall) and she will get back to me in a few days. I have been asked to send photos of the issue also which I have done.

I will of course come back here once I hear anything.

I advise EVERYONE who has got this issue to call LG on UK 0844 847 1400, having more people report the issue the better!

I'm really hoping for a replacement or repair, I really don't mind waiting either, I just want the monitor to be perfect. :)

Spoke to a very helpful lady who put me on hold as she spoke to the technical department. After about 5 mins she came back to say that they are aware of the issue and have had many other customers report this issue. They are just awaiting for head office to make a decision for the possible solution (hopefully recall) and she will get back to me in a few days. I have been asked to send photos of the issue also which I have done.

Thank you Joe. It's good to know that they have acknowledged the problem and are going to do something about it.

Having the same problem here with an R9 290X. It's good to hear that I'm not the only one with this issue, but it's disheartening to see that no fix has been found since the OP's post back in June. I've also e-mailed LG; hopefully a solution will be forthcoming for all of us.

• 2 weeks later...

Contacted LG again and they are still waiting for the head office to come up with a solution.

As I was reaching the deadline to return the LG 29UM67 I did just that and I've got a 34UM67 instead.

I've bought it from Amazon.it a couple of days ago, as it was at a decent price at the time (Euro 449,99). Received it today, just gave it a test run and everything looks good.

No gray bar anymore and another problem as I was having with the 29UM67 seems fixed as well. I am using two inputs (DisplayPort with the Freesync PC and DVI with a second machine without Freesync) and when the monitor was going to sleep while on the second input it would lose Freesync on the first input, so, when coming back from sleep, I would have to manually turn Freesync off and on again for it to work.

Both these problems seem to be gone with this machine. For reference I have a R9 290.

Edit: Upon further testing the second problem is still there, but the gray bar is definitely gone.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, lg support wrote that they released new software for the monitor, but it's need to use some additional equipment and installation is only possible in a service center.

Hope they release the firmare update so we can patch it ourselves.

Just bought this monitor for a steal, can't wait to get my hands (and eyeballs) on it.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, lg support wrote that they released new software for the monitor, but it's need to use some additional equipment and installation is only possible in a service center.

Have chased LG yet again as I've had no response. The above seems promising, very happy to send my monitor away to get this sorted.

I will be back! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Have chased LG yet again as I've had no response. The above seems promising, very happy to send my monitor away to get this sorted.

I will be back! :)

Did you hear back from LG? I have just purchased a 29UM67-P and have the same grey line issue when using freesync with 2x390s in crossfire. The card doesn't seem to make a difference though.

I actually just watched Linus' review of the 34UM67 and the grey line appears on that too by the looks of it, you can kind of see it in the image below:

3584014.jpg

I could return it to ebuyer, but I'm worried I'll just get another faulty one, Id rather send it to LG and know they'll update the firmware and send me back a fully working model.

• 2 weeks later...

Did you hear back from LG? I have just purchased a 29UM67-P and have the same grey line issue when using freesync with 2x390s in crossfire. The card doesn't seem to make a difference though.

I actually just watched Linus' review of the 34UM67 and the grey line appears on that too by the looks of it, you can kind of see it in the image below:

I could return it to ebuyer, but I'm worried I'll just get another faulty one, Id rather send it to LG and know they'll update the firmware and send me back a fully working model.

Hi, I have just sent a 4th e-mail chasing the progress as I appear to be being ignored. Awesome. Hopefully the snotty one I've sent will get me a response!

• 1 month later...

Hi, I have just sent a 4th e-mail chasing the progress as I appear to be being ignored. Awesome. Hopefully the snotty one I've sent will get me a response!

Any news? Or did they not reply to you. 

• 4 weeks later...

I called them up again, and all they said was they have no fix available at the moment, but head office are discussing a potential resolution.

The resolution probably being that they wait til they're all out of warranty.

On 23/09/2015 at 8:47 PM, pedjen said:

Contacted LG again and they are still waiting for the head office to come up with a solution.

As I was reaching the deadline to return the LG 29UM67 I did just that and I've got a 34UM67 instead.

I've bought it from Amazon.it a couple of days ago, as it was at a decent price at the time (Euro 449,99). Received it today, just gave it a test run and everything looks good.

No gray bar anymore and another problem as I was having with the 29UM67 seems fixed as well. I am using two inputs (DisplayPort with the Freesync PC and DVI with a second machine without Freesync) and when the monitor was going to sleep while on the second input it would lose Freesync on the first input, so, when coming back from sleep, I would have to manually turn Freesync off and on again for it to work.

Both these problems seem to be gone with this machine. For reference I have a R9 290.

Edit: Upon further testing the second problem is still there, but the gray bar is definitely gone.

Hey - do you recommend getting the 34UM67 over the 29"? I sit about 2 feet from monitor max. Thanks :)

• 2 weeks later...

If you're not hoping to use freesync, then I would recomend it. However if you want to use it for that purpose, then I'd go with something else. Can't say I have any faith in LG that this will be fixed.

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/06/2015 at 7:58 PM, hugotheholder said:

Hello everybody.

I recently bought an LG 29UM67 (-P) from Frys.com. I love the monitor so far except for 1 flaw that is quite annoying. That flaw being the fact that whenever I enable Freesync within the monitors settings I get a small 2 pixel tall grey line that spans across the entire bottom of the display. This line seems to also affect the top of the display by cutting off 2 pixels at the top (as if the image on screen becomes un-calibrated and shifts up 2 pixels, leaving an area devoid of an image at the bottom of the screen). This issue persists after having returned the same monitor once before and also testing the monitor with 2 different DisplayPort cables. I have made sure that my GPU is freesync ready, as it is an MSI R9 290x Lightning. A few other purchasers have also had this issue, although it was extremely hard to find them as this issue seems to be quite rare. I found the other purchasers commenting on this video: 

We narrowed the issue down to a firmware bug within the monitor, although when I contacted LG they disproved this theory by explaining that this monitor was plug and play and had no way of a firmware update/fix. I’ve also tested this issue with multiple AMD drivers and the issue persisted. I’m hoping it’s not my GPU, although if it is I’ll have to look into getting it returned under warranty. So my question to whoever reads this post is the following. 1. Are there any programs that could alter the area the GPU renders pixels for? (As a software solution to using a monitors/projectors own controls to shift the picture back onto the screen if it becomes un-calibrated). 2. Has anyone in this forum had any issue similar to this, am I just searching this wrong, or is this unreported and unknown to almost everybody? 3. Do you think Frys was given a bad batch, or is it my GPU?

Other relevant information:

- AMD freesync mode is enabled in catalyst control center when all the other screens are disabled using the PC screen only mode in Windows 8.1 

- This issue doesn't simply affect viewing in windows 8.1, the issue also seems to persist within both the bios and the boot process. 

- I'll be including a few pictures, 1 of which will show the grey line at the bottom of the display. The other will show the image being cutoff at the top of the display (kinda hard to see it, but I can assure you that the image is cutoff). And the last one will show the resolution that can be selected in War Thunder in an eyefinity display group with freesync on in the monitors settings (Yes, I know freesync doesn't actually work in eyefinity but it was one of the only ways to show the true vertical resolution of the display with the freesync setting enabled) The resolution is supposed to be 6400x1080 (2x 1080p monitors + LG 29UM67-P) although it is different with the issue. Last time I looked at the resolution in War Thunder when in eyefinity / pseudo freesync mode the resolution was 6400x1076, now it's 6400x1074 (maybe the issue is getting worse?).

-Thanks in advance.

Just to clear things up (this applies at least to Brazil):
Monitors manufactured in August/2015 has the grey pixels issue. Plus, the freesync range is 48-60/75. I had one of these faulty monitors.
But from october/2015 onwards (maybe even september, I don't know anybody with a 29UM67 from september), LG has corrected this issue (no more grey pixel line) and changed the freesync range to 40-60/75.
I know this because a lot of people have the 29UM67 here and the newer ones doesn't have this issue so far.
I'm pretty sure it's a new revision of the mainboard or something like this. I sent my first 29UM67 to warranty and they couldn't solve the issue, so I got my money back. Now I bought a new one, manufactured in january/2016 and can confirm that the issue has been corrected and the range has been updated.
Is this valid in the case of anyone here?