[The Escapist] Apple removes games from its online store due to use of Confederate Flags.

This is interesting, how so?  What kind of laws?

Well the big example is the NCIS background check on a 4473.

There is a mental health check involved in the NCIS check but the government makes it very difficult for hospitals and metal health professionals to communicate their records with the NCIS system. The same can be said for some states reporting criminal records to the system.

You cannot call for increased background checks before we fix the background check process already in place. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

What happens on that fantastical day where the economy is fair.  Anyone that works hard is guaranteed a very comfortable life and the need to take what is not yours is gone?  Would the open/conceal be easier to abolish?

I know it sounds ridiculous, you don't have to answer that.  =/

What happens on that fantastical day where the economy is fair.  Anyone that works hard is guaranteed a very comfortable life and the need to take what is not yours is gone?  Would the open/conceal be easier to abolish?

I know it sounds ridiculous, you don't have to answer that.  =/

We can talk about never-never land when we get there.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

We can talk about never-never land when we get there.

I was just thinking at that point there would be no need to abolish it...  barring safety certifications so there are no accidental discharges.

-_- someone really should hack live tv and place a confederate flag nonstop

i don't like with it means but it doesnt ban you should ban some peopls speach.

The flag it self won't hurt anyone.

All those poor owners of General Lee replicas, soon they won't even be allowed to drive them anymore without removing the one thing that made the car instantly recognizable.

<pic>

Sorry to quote myself, but I just came across this article which indicates that the General Lee with flag is now indeed taboo.

ffs !

Sorry to quote myself, but I just came across this article which indicates that the General Lee with flag is now indeed taboo.

ffs !

.....seriously?

This is just getting stupid, I'm gonna go buy a bumper sticker flag just to piss people off at this point.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I'm just going to say I don't care. Ban/Censor(Remove) it, it's stupid regardless. (even though it isn't the actual Confederate flag [it's the battle flag], still a dumb flag and again really stupid how it's still a thing ~50 years after those who opposed the civil rights movement had used it and the ~150 years after the civil war when it was used as a battle flag for the confederacy.)

Also guns, I just want to make sure someone mentally unstable can't get a gun (and that a gun doesn't get into the wrong hands, smart (Biometric or other forms of authentication) guns or smart owners).

If you're seriously worried about needing an OP defense option fine idgaf but just be sure that another idiot (or that you'd be that idiot) doesn't get their hands on that (usually) shinny but potentially deadly phallic object you call a gun.  

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

Terrible analogy.

Exactly.

Once again this forum fails to understand the difference between curation and censorship.

Banning content from being produced: censorship

Saying I don't want said content in my store: curation.

I wouldn't say there's a lack of understanding. That is a semantic argument. Within the context of the Apple store is this a form of censorship? It could be argued that yes, indeed it is. Regardless, the crux of the issue remains the same, are they within their rights to do that. And is it appropriate for them to do so. Is it their place to play the role moral arbiter?

I'll pose you these questions, given the market dominance of Apple, and how locked into that ecosystem their consumers are, at what point does curation become censorship? And do the motives for that curation affect whether or not they are within their rights to remove it from their store?

I wouldn't say there's a lack of understanding. That is a semantic argument. Within the context of the Apple store is this a form of censorship? It could be argued that yes, indeed it is. Regardless, the crux of the issue remains the same, are they within their rights to do that. And is it appropriate for them to do so. Is it their place to play the role moral arbiter?

I'll pose you these questions, given the market dominance of Apple, and how locked into that ecosystem their consumers are, at what point does curation become censorship? And do the motives for that curation affect whether or not they are within their rights to remove it from their store?

It becomes censorship as soon as the government forces you to only use Apple products and the state closes all other stores so that Apple's store is the only way you can legally buy things. Until then you are perfectly free to not use Apple's ecosystem, and plenty of people already don't because of Apple's vision of locking people into it.

Of course it is Apple's job to act as moral arbiter for the products that they themselves are selling. You could pretty easily turn your questions around and ask wtf gives you the right to dictate what a company does and does not sell and why you think that they shouldn't have the freedom to choose for themselves.

Blatantly ignore peoples rights of freedom of expression to appease the 2% of vocal minority sjw idiots. Why not? /s

- snip-

This is true. Although this is still idiotic historical white washing. As total biscuit pointed out "simply displaying something is not endorsing it". The displaying of a flag is not an endorsement of racism, the same way that depicting the nazi flag in ww2 games is not an endorsement of the nazi party.

^^^this

- snip-

It becomes censorship as soon as the government forces you to only use Apple products and the state closes all other stores so that Apple's store is the only way you can legally buy things. Until then you are perfectly free to not use Apple's ecosystem, and plenty of people already don't because of Apple's vision of locking people into it.

Of course it is Apple's job to act as moral arbiter for the products that they themselves are selling. You could pretty easily turn your questions around and ask wtf gives you the right to dictate what a company does and does not sell and why you think that they shouldn't have the freedom to choose for themselves.

Oh yeah I'm with you on that, I would not personally dictate to a company what they can and cannot sell. I would simply heavily criticise and avoid a company that operates like that, and use a more open platform. Unfortunately, Apple are fucking huge, with a closed system, and locked in userbase, I was coming at that from the perspective of people locked into Apple.

I'm about to start arguing against Apple at this point though, so I'll leave it at this. Is it even possible to legally buy apps for Apple anywhere but their own store?

Oh yeah I'm with you on that, I would not personally dictate to a company what they can and cannot sell. I would simply heavily criticise and avoid a company that operates like that, and use a more open platform. Unfortunately, Apple are fucking huge, with a closed system, and locked in userbase, I was coming at that from the perspective of people locked into Apple.

I'm about to start arguing against Apple at this point though, so I'll leave it at this. Is it even possible to legally buy apps for Apple anywhere but their own store?

For me that's more an argument about whether or not Apple, Android and Microsoft platforms should even have stores. Ultimately if a company sells something they are making profit off of the back of something and so that is in itself an endorsement of that product. It's why it's so exasperating that Steam has little to no curation in terms of quality at all.

Blatantly ignore peoples rights of freedom of expression to appease the 2% of vocal minority sjw idiots. Why not? /s

If you wanted an example of the sort of comments I've been talking about in this thread, this is it :)

Seems amazon and ebay have joined in with the rest of the historical revisionists. Won't be shopping with them again.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/420247/amazon-ebay-confederate-flags-removed-nazis-mao-ussr-stay

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Just came back to this thread,how tf did this turn into a gun discussion :D

Because idiots somehow think that a thread about Apple removing Civil War games from their app store should be derailed with gun politics. 

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

The article has been updated.

Update: Andrew Mulholland of HexWar Games confirmed via email that he was contacted by an Apple representative today. "They put Civil War: 1863 back on the store and we're making a few tweaks to the app icons for the other games," Mulholland said. He was told that Apple did not want the Confederate flag displayed in any app icons or prominently depicted in any screenshots.

Ultimate General: Gettysburg has also been reinstated, Game Labs confirmed via Facebook. "Ultimate General is back. Unchanged. After several late night phone calls with Apple yesterday and today the game has returned to Appstore the way it was... in 1863."

In a second post, Game Labs thanked fans for their support. "We would like to thank everyone who helped us over the last day by liking, sharing and commenting and spreading the news about the importance of keeping history the way it was. We are very humbled and overwhelmed by your support and are happy to be serving you. It is purely your accomplishment and we are grateful you helped us bring our game back."

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

For me that's more an argument about whether or not Apple, Android and Microsoft platforms should even have stores. Ultimately if a company sells something they are making profit off of the back of something and so that is in itself an endorsement of that product. It's why it's so exasperating that Steam has little to no curation in terms of quality at all.

Yeah, the points in my earlier post only apply to a "store" which is in a monopolistic position, when consumers have no real viable alternative. Your previous post reminded me that it's a total non-issue if a person has options. For example, there was a post on here a while ago, talking about AdBlock being banned on the PlayStore, and I had no problem with them doing that. Because it's trivial for me to pick that up from their website, or install via F-droid if I so wish.

Having said that, my preference for curation in any store is for a neutral stance on any political or moral issue.

I hate shit like this because it gives all the clowns on the internet another lovely opportunity for America bashing. (Ironically they bash using items invented by Americans or made possible only due to heavy American funding Mice, Keyboards, Internet, etc.)

A private company removed a game from their library. Was it for dumb reasoning? Sure. Is this a reason to be concerned about censorship? No, censorship and curation are different. I dont give a fuck about this, but im sick of every little thing that happens in America causing a shitstorm of idiocy from people not from here on the internet. 

Conceal your intentions