Windows Update recognizes SSD as USB flash drive

I'm currently on Win8.1 and was trying to install Win10, but when I start the update, it tells me "You can't install Windows on a USB flash drive using Setup." I have no USB storage devices plugged in currently, and the SSD shows up as a disk drive in Device Manager. The only thing related to this issue is that sometimes when I boot up, a message will pop up saying "Keep USB plugged in" or something similar. It doesn't happen every time, but hopefully that gives some insight as to the problem. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Make sure that:

-> your SATA controller drivers are updated

-> You SATA controller is set to AHCI mode in the BIOS/UEFI

Make sure that:

-> your SATA controller drivers are updated

-> You SATA controller is set to AHCI mode in the BIOS/UEFI

My drivers are indeed updated, but I am having trouble with enabling AHCI. From what I've read, I need to edit the registry, but am struggling to find what I need to change. Would you be capable of providing info on this? Your help is greatly appreciated.

My drivers are indeed updated, but I am having trouble with enabling AHCI. From what I've read, I need to edit the registry, but am struggling to find what I need to change. Would you be capable of providing info on this? Your help is greatly appreciated.

No need to edit registry, you should be able to do that when you enter BIOS/UEFI. It "should" look like this, or rather you should have an option like this:

UEFI-11%20SATA%20Configuration.png

This is an example, it will vary on the manufacturer.

What's your MBO?

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

That is correct. So this is what you need to do:

1- Start > type: regedit > enter (this will open the registry editor)

2- On the left column, browse to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\msahci

3- On the right section, you should find an item listed with the name "Start". Double click on it, and panel will open, allowing you to change its value. Set the value to 0.

4- Now go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\pciide

5- And again, find the "Start" item, double click on it, and set it to 0

6- Restart your computer and go immediately to your BIOS/UEFI, and set your SATA controller where your hard drive is connected to : AHCI mode

(refer to your motherboard instruction manual for assistance. I can't really help you there, as each BIOS/UEFI is different)

7- Save and exit the BIOS/UEFI, and Windows should start normally.

8- Once done, install your motherboard/SATA Controller drivers. This is important step to do.

And that should be it :)

On some rare cases, it might not work (Windows will BSOD at startup), if that happened, make sure you have set the correct SATA Controller to AHCI in the BIOS/UEFI (some motherboard have multiple SATA controllers), if that is not the problem, then you may need to format and re-install everything. (you can revert back to IDE (can also be called: Legacy) mode, and now Windows will boot normally, and you can backup your things, if you need to be. Don't forget to switch to AHCI mode before starting Windows setup).

2- On the left column, browse to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\msahci

That key does not exist for me.

I have a GA990FX-UD3 and have installed both ahci drivers (one is AMD and the other is Marvell).

Even after that, I still get the error. Furthermore, there is no "AHCI" listed anywhere in device manager.

AHCI is now enabled from BIOS as well. 

If you have enabled AHCI in the BIOS and you are in Windows, then you are good on that front.

In device manager, go to "Disk Drives", then double click on your HDD/SSD, thne go under the "Policies" tab

Be sure that you have "Better Performance" checked, and "Enabled write caching" checked. Click OK and restart your system

If you have enabled AHCI in the BIOS and you are in Windows, then you are good on that front.

In device manager, go to "Disk Drives", then double click on your HDD/SSD, thne go under the "Policies" tab

Be sure that you have "Better Performance" checked, and "Enabled write caching" checked. Click OK and restart your system

"Better Performance" is not an option, there's only "Enable write caching" and "Turn off Windows write-cache buffer..."

• 1 month later...