Nvidia knew...

VagabondWraith

The performance of Fiji and released a better card (980 Ti) ahead of time to squash AMD. They also released the Ti card at $649 to squash AMD's profit margin for the new Fiji architecture thus forcing them to match. Let's be honest, HBM is NOT cheap and AMD didn't want to release it so cheap to begin with.

That's my hypothesis.

Well played Nvidia. Well played.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

Nvidia has been two steps ahead of AMD for years. If AMD was still producing relevant cards, Nvidia would release stuff earlier.

Competition is good for everyone.

Help me I'm surrounded by morons.

The 980ti is marginally slower than the Fury X

The performance of Fiji and released a better card (980 Ti) ahead of time to squash AMD. They also released the Ti card at $649 to squash AMD's profit margin for the new Fiji architecture thus forcing them to match. Let's be honest, HBM is NOT cheap and AMD didn't want to release it so cheap to begin with.

That's my hypothesis.

Well obviously.  That's business.  Jen Hsun has stated that he respects AMD as a competitor and likes that they keep pushing the industry forward.  Nvidia doesn't want them dead, but they want to maintain their majority in the market share.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

In some cases yes.  In other cases, the 980Ti is stronger.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

Don't know what rock you're under but you might wanna check benchmarks.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

That's my hypothesis.

Of cource they knew. They knew every detail for sure :)

They screwed all Titan X owners with the 980Ti to beat AMD. They knows very good how the makret works..... And they don't care to make a few customers pay to much.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

-snip-

Competition is good for everyone.

Competition is good when it's on a fair basis.

Sadly AMD is falling behind, so as of now NVIDIA is holding up and being superior in many ways.

This actually leads to less competition, and we're not seeing advancements as fast as it would have happened anyways.

It's kind of sad to see this. I was hoping HBM would give a bigger performance increase, but sadly it isn't.

When in doubt: C4

Remember to state at what resolution!

At 1440p and 1080p the 980ti wins most of the time.

But at 4k they're equal but usually with a small lead to to fury X.

(As seen in hardwarecanucks' video, and some of Digital storm's benchmarks)

When in doubt: C4

Whether or not they did, it still makes sense to have a cut-down version of the Titan X at a lower price. The Titan X by itself doesn't make a whole ton of sense. It's a nice piece of hardware, but the 980 Ti is by far the better consumer model.

Don't know what rock you're under but you might wanna check benchmarks.

Maybe he means raising a room's temperature.

AMD needs to learn what efficiency is.

They keep making their steam powered locomotives bigger and bigger in hopes with competing with the bullet train.

They know what efficiency is. They released revisions of the old FX chips that have a lower power consumption on par with Sandy Bridge.

Yeah they're still behind, but they do know a thing or two about power efficiency.

Of cource they knew. They knew every detail for sure :)

They screwed all Titan X owners with the 980Ti to beat AMD. They knows very good how the makret works..... And they don't care to make a few customers pay to much.

Early adopters always pay more.

They know what efficiency is. They released revisions of the old FX chips that have a lower power consumption on par with Sandy Bridge.

Yeah they're still behind, but they do know a thing or two about power efficiency.

Maybe at idle.  On full load the Sandy Bridge is hardly breaking a sweat while the FX is glowing red.  Not to mention the SB obliterates the FX.

AMD learned very little.

Maybe at idle.  On full load the Sandy Bridge is hardly breaking a sweat while the FX is glowing red.  Not to mention the SB obliterates the FX.

AMD learned very little.

The 8370e draws about 78 watts at 4.0Ghz and around 100 watts at 4.5, similar to that of Sandy Bridge.

The kicker is though that not all 8370e's will have the same results, as noted by Tom's Hardware.

No, sorry.

Ref 980ti matches Fury X. Custom and OCed 980Ti is way above the Fury X. Just check this out. http://goo.gl/v9hzO2

Look at this way, you can thank amd for the 980ti. No amd no 980ti or fury x people would have been stuck paying 1000 for a titan x.

That could be the future.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

Breaking news hot of the AMD press: "Nvidia made our card slower! It's all Nvidias fault!"

While I do kinda lean towards the green team, I respect AMD and eagerly await their new releases (so Nvidia may lower prices). When I heard that the R9 300 Series would consist of 99% rebranded cards I was sorely disappointed, only to be excited for the Fury X. But now it seems that my hope of Nvidia lowering GTX 980Ti prices is ashes. Hopefully the DX12 benchmarks can prove AMD can still produce a GPU King.

AMD needs to learn what efficiency is.

They keep making their steam powered locomotives bigger and bigger in hopes with competing with the bullet train.

let's see if you still say that when the fury nano is released. Then suddenly power efficiency won't matter again I'm guessing.

The 980 ti isn't exactly a power efficient card either and the reference card temps are significantly hotter than the fury x.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

not to mention, making a FX chip actually draw 30w less, without multiple revisions to get "down" to that level. That is some seriously good engineering.

I think, if AMD decided to. They could beat Nvidia at efficiency vs power, but at the fatal cost of absolute raw power. Nvidia do know how to make efficient stuff, but they really havent done big leaps. They just keep making small steps ahead, a few % better each time, but nothing truly groundbreaking, other then their price.

Either way, in the end, ill enjoy my 295x2, which by the way, IS STILL the best single PCB graphics card in the world.

And there is no way in hell any other card is going to beat it at one thing for years to come. Power hungriness.

let's see if you still say that when the fury nano is released. 

I've heard so many AMD fans say:

let's see if you still say that when the 7900 is released

let's see if you still say that when the R9 200 is released

let's see if you still say that when the R9 300 is released

let's see if you still say that when the Fury X is released

I'm so tired of waiting.

Fury X2 ;)

The rest you have said I totally agree.

I've heard so many AMD fans say:

let's see if you still say that when the 7900 is released

let's see if you still say that when the R9 200 is released

let's see if you still say that when the R9 300 is released