Unofficial R9 Fury X reviews master post.

marldorthegreat

OC3D: http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/gpu_displays/amd_r9_fury_x_review/1

so far, very meh ...

it's on par with 980Ti reference; one thing looks clear: Fury X is no match for custom 980Ti s

so complicated design, HBM1 .. for what?! aven power draw (at the wall) raises some eyebrows:

if this is their flagship single GPU card, I'm worried for AMD and what that might mean for the future of PC gaming

His graphs are a bunch of rubbish. I'm glad I don't follow that buffoon.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Just like the R9 290X vs the GTX 970.

Yeap, exactly what's happening right now. I'm still gettin a fury tho. The 980 Ti is a fuck ton more expensive in my area. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

I am disappoint :(

CPU : i5-8600k , Motherboard: Aorus Z370 Ultra Gaming , RAM: G.skill Ripjaws 16GB 3200mhz ,GPU : Gigabyte 1070 G1 ,Case: NZXT Noctis 450 ,Storage : Seagate 1TB HDD , Seagate Barracuda 2TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB , KINGSTON SHFS37A/240G HYPERX FURY 240GB  , PSU : Corsair RM 750X , Display(s) : LG Flatron W2243S , Dell U2715H , Cooling: Coolermaster Hyper 212x Evo, Keyboard: Coolermaster Rapid-i , Drevo Tyrfing Black , Coolermaster Masterkeys Pro S, Mouse : Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum , Windows 10 

Like expected, AMD is dead.

Candle1.jpg

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

No HDMI 2.0 is a big disappointment for me

And why only 4GB on a flagship card. Yes HBM is different from GDDR5, but since we are already seeing 4GB VRAM being maxed out at 1080p, I'm wondering why everyone says that it'll be plenty for 4k

So Linus' card DOA

Don't throw your GPUs out the car folks :D

AMD should take a lesson from Corsair and LTT

wtf, even tho im not that much of an AMD fan, i expected more. If the price would be around ~500 bucks then it would be ok, but same price as a 980 Ti and even worse performance most of the time?

wtf, even tho im not that much of an AMD fan, i expected more. If the price would be around ~500 bucks then it would be ok, but same price as a 980 Ti and even worse performance most of the time?

performance is quite a bit lower, because reference 980ti is not clocked very high.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

The price is going to dictate a lot on this one.  I'm personally a bit disappointed, but it's still early days.  i want to see what people can do with OC'ing this thing.

Dis track?  Jesus christ why'd we even fight a war?  - Ron Cadillac

So Linus' card DOA

Don't throw your GPUs out the car folks :D

...and I thought that fully enclosed design with almost none of the PCB exposed would protect the card from a little careless handling. >.>

45 FPS @ 5K. HAHAHAHA. No. Sorry AMD, you tried and failed. Ti remains the cream of the crop.

Very disappointing AMD. Very disappointing.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

Not going to lie, I'm a bit disappointed, but I'm just hoping AMD can make some money from this card and become an even more formidable contender against Nvidia in the future.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

45 FPS @ 5K. HAHAHAHA. No. Sorry AMD, you tried and failed. Ti remains the cream of the crop.

Very disappointing AMD. Very disappointing.

No, at 4k the fury wins EVERY time

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

I'm very skeptical of the Fury X's longevity. Those Cooler Master pumps aren't know for their reliability.

can you point out which source you say says  the fury is winning at 4k  every one has it behind that i have been reading so far.

Just read the TechpowerUp review, the Fury X handles its own in over half of the games at 4k vs. the 980ti.

I think the price should have been around $600, but $650 is not that bad at all.

Also I love all the "AMD is dead" posts, God damn this is a great card AMD just put out, but since it didn't blow 980ti out of the water it somehow kills the whole company? LOL, yeah sure.

Just read the TechpowerUp review, the Fury X handles its own in over half of the games at 4k vs. the 980ti.

I think the price should have been around $600, but $650 is not that bad at all.

Also I love all the "AMD is dead" posts, God damn this is a great card AMD just put out, but since it didn't blow 980ti out of the water it somehow kills the whole company? LOL, yeah sure.

But it's a reference 980ti... Look at how much faster acx 2.0 and g1 gaming 980 ti is...

Spoiler

No it doesn't look at the PCper review it's closer but still isn't faster and that is at stock the 980 Ti gets up to 1400mhz while the FuryX seems to clock out at around 1150mhz and that is comparing a water cooled card vs air.

That paired with 2GB less VRam makes it a worse card for 4K some of the reviews even reported problems with running out of Vram at 4k.

RTX2070OC 

But it's a reference 980ti... Look at how much faster acx 2.0 and g1 gaming 980 ti is...

Yeah but that is an unfair comparison. Wait for the r9 fury cards to come out....

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

Yeah but that is an unfair comparison. Wait for the r9 fury cards to come out....

fury will be slower than fury x amd already said that.

Spoiler

I'm very skeptical of the Fury X's longevity. Those Cooler Master pumps aren't know for their reliability.

This was my biggest worry. I had a CM AIO a couple years ago and the pump (not the fan) had a very faint high-pitched hum that drove me banana's and I eventually threw the thing in the garbage.

Ryan from PCper confirmed my worst nightmare in that the FuryX AIO pump has the same high-pitched hum, which he said a lot of reviewers noticed as well. I'm not paying money to hear that noise ever again. He mentioned AMD are working to reduce that noise, but I don't buy it.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

LOL Luke said the card was D.O.A. yet I distinctly remember Linus dropping it outside of the new office he probably did brick it then

-------

Current Rig

-------

when VRAM matters: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2015/06/24/amd_radeon_r9_fury_x_video_card_review/6#.VYqlEHqqpQ4

14351085919S0HOOZkGA_6_1.gif

14351085919S0HOOZkGA_6_2.gif

Before we begin looking at this game it should be noted that this game definitely can exceed 4GB of VRAM at 1440p. We saw up to 5GB of usage when the VRAM capacity was there to support it. This game is bottlenecked on every 4GB video card at 1440p with maximum in-game settings.

The AMD Radeon R9 290X always struggled in this video game from day one. We were never able to achieve a playable setting using the highest in-game settings. Instead we had to use the built in preset of "Best Quality" which sets the shadow map size to "High" and the view distance to "Half."

The AMD Radeon R9 Fury X is the first video card from AMD to allow us to play at the highest in-game settings at 1440p. We were able to turn up the shadow map size to "Very High" and max out the view distance. The game was playable, but you will notice it does have a lot lower minimum framerate on the Fury X compared to the GTX 980 Ti. There was some stutter here and there as it loaded new game assets in different areas, which did not occur on the GTX 980 Ti.

The GeForce GTX 980 Ti was also playable at the highest in-game settings but was 42% faster than the AMD Radeon R9 Fury X. We think the difference is so great because the AMD Radeon R9 Fury X is being held back in total performance due to not having enough VRAM for the video card to accelerate the game at its fastest.

Let's elaborate a bit more on the point above. We can back this up by looking at the total system wattage as we played the game at both "Maximum" settings and at "Best Quality" settings which lessens the burden on VRAM capacity.

With the game running at "Maximum" settings on the AMD Radeon R9 Fury X we saw the system wattage only go up to the 340W range, and the performance was a lot lower as we see. When we bumped the game down to "Best Quality" settings the wattage actually increased up to 365W because the burden on VRAM capacity was lessened and the GPU was allowed to work harder.

The VRAM bottleneck is like a cap on performance, keeping the true performance of the GPU from shining through. This game is a shining example of how VRAM capacity bottlenecks can lower performance and power demand. Sorry AMD, 4GB isn't enough in this game at 1440p, what do you think is going to happen at 4K?

14351085919S0HOOZkGA_6_3.gif