Unofficial R9 Fury X reviews master post.

marldorthegreat

Yeah. Small form factor goes out the windows there. However. The fury nano looks promising 

It doesn't go out the window, think a bit differently.  Small form factor brings a bigger problem for airflow then whether or not cards fit in them.  Unless someone is using a leaf blower for a system fan, the 980ti is just going to cook all the more and all the more rapidly in smaller cases.  When people say the fury X is a "better fit" for small form factors they mean it, not necessarily in a literal manner.

Or if you have a larger case with a large CPU heatsink that has fans on it, a user could completely forgo having system fans and just use the Fury X radiator assembly to push air out and suck in a modest amount of air by displacement/passively.  It could make for a a much more silent high tier build who's temps don't go to hell. 

It doesn't go out the window, think a bit differently.  Small form factor brings a bigger problem for airflow then whether or not cards fit in them.  Unless someone is using a leaf blower for a system fan, the 980ti is just going to cook all the more and all the more rapidly in smaller cases.  When people say the fury X is a "better fit" for small form factors they mean it, not necessarily in a literal manner.

Or if you have a larger case with a large CPU heatsink that has fans on it, a user could completely forgo having system fans and just use the Fury X radiator assembly to push air out and suck in a modest amount of air by displacement/passively.  It could make for a a much more silent high tier build who's temps don't go to hell.

I call b.s. it won't cook itself, go try it yourself or give me some evidence of it happening ( reference card with reference cooler ).

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

I call b.s. it won't cook itself, go try it yourself or give me some evidence of it happening ( reference card with reference cooler ).

I didn't mean cook itself to death, but it is a hotter card because it relies on airflow.  Though a 980ti reference could do a better job removing heat from a confining case than another air-cooled card, but I'm not going to even pretend that a blower fan is nearly as effective as a water-cooled solution to expel heat.  And no, I am not going to hold your hand and prove it to you.  Especially when you need to make such an asinine demand.

I didn't mean cook itself to death, but it is a hotter card because it relies on airflow.  Though a 980ti reference could a better job removing heat from a confining case than an air-cooled card, but I'm not going to even pretend that a blower fan is nearly as effective as a water-cooled solution to expel heat.  And no, I am not going to hold your hand and prove it to you.  Especially when you need to make such an asinine demand.

The card is engineered to run at 80+C and if it's going to throttle then what's the problem ? or why does it even matter ?

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

The card is engineered to run at 80+C and if it's going to throttle then what's the problem ? or why does it even matter ?

There isn't a problem.  Just need(should use) a system intake fan(s) to adequately accommodate airflow for an air card.  It matters because if you want a smaller and or silent build eliminating fans can help.  With the radiator you can place it more inline with the CPU heatsink airflow and maintain the funnel where aircooled cards disrupt that.

LMG Fury X pseudo review 2.0 is up on vessel for subscribers.

R9 Fury X vs GTX 980 Ti - Small Form Factor Gaming Showdown!

One thing that review doesn't do is oc the cpu when there is thermal headroom. Something the 980ti would allow while the fury x prevents it.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

One thing that review doesn't do is oc the cpu when there is thermal headroom. Something the 980ti would allow while the fury x prevents it.

They could probably fit a bigger CPU cooler. In most other cases, the AIO would exhaust the heat anyways. Too bad they didn't do new temp tests after setting Fury's AIO to exhaust.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

1- overclocking cpus is a bit stupid at the moment.

2- In that case you dont overclock anything. 

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

Did he mention or show any other fans involved? Was the AiO fan the only fan pulling air into the case? Seems like a second intake fan on the back with a good exhaust vent causing positive pressure and washing across the CPU cooler would have helped the CPU a good deal, although his later mention of using the AiO as an exhaust fan would probably show similar results.

Its not stupid if you have an FX processor.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Its not stupid if you have an FX processor.

Is there an ITX AM3+ motherboard out there in the aether?

Probably not. As the motherboard will probably not have enough space to deliver 225 watts of power.... Yes. My cpu uses 225 watts when oc'd to 5ghz WHICH I dont keep as it just makes things loud and heats my room up. 

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

Yeah I couldnt find one in a few minutes of google-fu. Is an FX chip an argument for OC'ing in an ITX form factor?

They could probably fit a bigger CPU cooler. In most other cases, the AIO would exhaust the heat anyways. Too bad they didn't do new temp tests after setting Fury's AIO to exhaust.

I don't know if they fixed that in post and re-sampled the temps, I would hope so.  Looking at the temps they've posted in the video for mobo and cpu it feels like they didn't, but that would be fairly sketchy and I don't think that LMG would be particularly keen on propagating contaminated data.  I'm kinda hoping to see some annotations on the youtube release or clarification when the videos thread gets created.

I too would have opted for a larger CPU cooler regardless, which probably would have called for a different case.

Yup.  The limits of small form factors and trade offs one makes for it was kind of the focus here.  Brains or brawn, the dilemma continues.  Mid towers are still the cats meow for size/performance/flex IMO.  A nice small tight case feels great and looks good on the runway, but it's harder for such a girl to push out the jigaherz and get the stuff of life done.

The cpu had plenty of thermal headroom when the 980ti was being used. Why not oc to get some extra performance.

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

If they didn't fix the graph then the video is pointless so I really hope they did. As for a bigger heatsink did they say what one they used?

laptop

Nope.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I don't know if they fixed that in post and re-sampled the temps, I would hope so.  Looking at the temps they've posted in the video for mobo and cpu it feels like they didn't, but that would be fairly sketchy and I don't think that LMG would be particularly keen on propagating contaminated data.  I'm kinda hoping to see some annotations on the youtube release or clarification when the videos thread gets created.

I too would have opted for a larger CPU cooler regardless, which probably would have called for a different case.

Yup.  The limits of small form factors and trade offs one makes for it was kind of the focus here.  Brains or brawn, the dilemma continues.  Mid towers are still the cats meow for size/performance/flex IMO.  A nice small tight case feels great and looks good on the runway, but it's harder for such a girl to push out the jigaherz and get the stuff of life done.

Not sure, but they show glimpses of it. It's a flat one. They did intake all the GPU heat into the case, which was a silly setup. They changed it at the end, but idk if the benches shows that.

The cpu had plenty of thermal headroom when the 980ti was being used. Why not oc to get some extra performance.

Of course, the CPU had an AIO installed with the 980ti, and a flat silly one with the Fury with AIO heat intake. The GPU should always have the AIO, as it has a much higher TDP, but we rarely think about that, as the CPU usually gets the AIO out of habit.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Of course, the CPU had an AIO installed with the 980ti, and a flat silly one with the Fury with AIO heat intake. The GPU should always have the AIO, as it has a much higher TDP, but we rarely think about that, as the CPU usually gets the AIO out of habit.

The cpu gets the aio as aios on gpus is a new thing. You can get brackets to adapt them but right now its not the best solution. That being there is no way to use a better cooler for the cpu in that case while using the fury x as it only has on fan slot. If the gpu doesn't use it might as well use it for the cpu. A benefit of using the 980ti. You cant really fit much more then a silly flat one in that case with its 61mm of clearance. Go to a bigger case with better air flow and the 980ti might boost itself more. Linus also pointed out the higher then 30C ambient temp. as well.

laptop

In other news did anyone check out tweaktowns crossfire review? Was quite positive. The dual fury x could be one hell of a card!

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/7226/amd-radeon-r9-fury-video-cards-crossfire/index.html

Having a look at this page specifically, but all results just the same, I see no reason to get two when it seems one would do the job.  Nearly all the 4k results were at or above 60FPS. (I think there was one that was at 32 minimum for a single card)

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/7226/amd-radeon-r9-fury-video-cards-crossfire/index5.html

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

In other news did anyone check out tweaktowns crossfire review? Was quite positive. The dual fury x could be one hell of a card!

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/7226/amd-radeon-r9-fury-video-cards-crossfire/index.html

Dual Fury x will definitely be one hell of a card if they improve wattage with this card, if they can get that card around Titan Z's 375watts while stepping on it. I'll get my hands on it. 

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Dual Fury x will definitely be one hell of a card if they improve wattage with this card, if they can get that card around Titan Z's 375watts while stepping on it. I'll get my hands on it. 

Having a look at this page specifically, but all results just the same, I see no reason to get two when it seems one would do the job.  Nearly all the 4k results were at or above 60FPS. (I think there was one that was at 32 minimum for a single card)

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/7226/amd-radeon-r9-fury-video-cards-crossfire/index5.html

Your wish has been granted, somewhat.  Interesting results.

AMD Fury X vs. NVIDIA GTX 980 Ti: 2- and 3-Way Multi-GPU Performance

PCPer article